Pat Spillane

Started by 20leg-end08, August 03, 2008, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smcafee

11 munster titles,8 all irelands and 9 all stars.spillane has earned the right to give his views but when he is host of the sunday game he needs to be balanced and fair.

Clarin Pearl

Each of their presenters brings their own natural bias to the table. Spillane has to be more herlihy and less dunphy because he is the anker.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWell you start a thread on Joe Brolly if you want MS, istead of moaning about this one.

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me that much what Brolly says. He is a one-time-lucky-AI-winner-when-Kerry-were-shite type bozo who dines out on his one-hit wonder status. Not fit to lick the boots of any Kerry player or, for that matter,  any other players he criticizes. What bothers me is the way you bies whinge about something that ye constantly indulge in i.e one eyed Ulster parochialism disguised as "criticism" . Ye're all as bad as brolly, the wee shite.

Main Street

Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 04, 2008, 12:03:41 AM
QuoteIf you want to talk about smug presenters/pundits lets first address that obseqious little bollix Brolly.

Brolly is not presenting the main GAA programme on a Sunday night - Spillane is. It was an excellent programme when Lyster presented it but since Spillane took over it has gone downhill. He has none of the attrubutes needed to present a programme like this and his smugness and "show me your all ireland medals" does not help. He was an outspoken and occassionally entertaining panellist but that does not necessarily make a good presenter. I thought by now he might have improved a bit but no he has not and he is particualr annoying when it comes to hurling as he seems to have little passion for the sport and limited knowledge.

Brolly's views etc are irrelevant to this debate.
That's about it.
I think Spillane is much better on the radio.

It's an embarrassment to the program to have Spillane as the anchor  staring at the screen like a tensed up Owl with those shifty eyes and his hands gripping his leg, or was that the Apres Match spoof?  they did Spillane better that he does himself.

INDIANA

brolly may be what he is. but he was a class footballer and he would have walked onto a lot of kerry teams. he's entertaining anyway, spillane isn't. the pundits on RTE need to be shaken up.
Spillane should be back to being a pundit because he ain't a presenter. but he was a decent pundit.
adios to lyons,flynn and davis.
retain tohill, mc stay and maybe switch goggins to the night programme.
bring back lyster as presenter of the sunday game and give daragh moloney the daytime gig.
If Tv 3 had a decent presenter they might get some competition.

Jinxy

It would be nice if Bernie Flynn would actually form a coherent sentence instead of just saying random words in no particular order.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Yes I Would

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2008, 12:06:38 AM
QuoteDid you not see him tear Down to shreds??

He didnt have much choice did he ? they were absolutely terrible.

The point is that he always gives the nothern teams a more favourable review whilst rubbishing the sourthern teams. If ye cant see this ye are blind.

Sheehy your heads up your hole. Last time i checked Down was in the north of Ireland. Read your posts again before posting shite.
Was very little favourable said about Down. Brolly calls it as is, and yes he can be an irritating little shit sometimes, with an element of smugness.
The point was that Spillane is a patronising gobshite. This north south bias thing that your so preoccupied with is becomong a bit boring.

Maguire01

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2008, 11:06:15 AM
QuoteWell you start a thread on Joe Brolly if you want MS, instead of moaning about this one.

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me that much what Brolly says. He is a one-time-lucky-AI-winner-when-Kerry-were-shite type bozo who dines out on his one-hit wonder status. Not fit to lick the boots of any Kerry player or, for that matter,  any other players he criticizes. What bothers me is the way you bies whinge about something that ye constantly indulge in i.e one eyed Ulster parochialism disguised as "criticism" . Ye're all as bad as brolly, the wee shite.
Mike, your blood pressure must be through the roof! I've never come across such a highly-strung individual.

The fact is that Brolly was a class player and if he had been born in Kerry and Spillane in Derry, their respective haul of medals would be reversed. Spillane was part of a team - he'd have won nothing on his own.  Brolly is also highly articulate and insightful, hence his job as an analyst.

As for Spillane, at this stage i find him entertaining more than anything. You know what to expect, so why get upset about him.

red hander

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 03, 2008, 11:47:24 PM
Another Pat Spillane thread started by a Nordie..  ::) ::)

If you want to talk about smug presenters/pundits lets first address that obseqious little bollix Brolly. Could he be any more pro-northern ? Did ye here him on the Tyrone-Mayo game saying Tyrone were much better than Mayo...ffs they won by a point in a game that Mayo could have, and should have, won imo. Did ye hear him contrasting the goal attempts by Tyrone and mayo. The Tyrone attempt was a great move altogehter yet Mortimers goal was "lucky"  ..you'd swear it was Tyrone that scored and not Mayo...jesus, what a t**t....I cant believe how biased he is and you lads just laugh away at how "funny" he is whilst having coniptions about Pat Spillane...

You'll get no argument from a Tyrone man about Brolly, but ffs Mike take the blinkers off just because he's from Kerry ... Spillane was a great footballer but he's a total gobshite as a pundit, and he'd be a total gobshite as a pundit if he was from Carlow, Leitrim or Rathlin Island

Mike Sheehy

QuoteMike, your blood pressure must be through the roof! I've never come across such a highly-strung individual

I'm as calm as Kieran Donaghy in front of goal. Dont mistake my use of "colourful" language with being upset. I actually enjoy this kind of slagging.

seafoid

Quote from: red hander on August 04, 2008, 04:17:46 PM

If you want to talk about smug presenters/pundits lets first address that obseqious little bollix Brolly. Could he be any more pro-northern ? Did ye here him on the Tyrone-Mayo game saying Tyrone were much better than Mayo...ffs they won by a point in a game that Mayo could have, and should have, won imo. Did ye hear him contrasting the goal attempts by Tyrone and mayo. The Tyrone attempt was a great move altogehter yet Mortimers goal was "lucky"  ..you'd swear it was Tyrone that scored and not Mayo...jesus, what a t**t....I cant believe how biased he is and you lads just laugh away at how "funny" he is whilst having coniptions about Pat Spillane...

You'll get no argument from a Tyrone man about Brolly, but ffs Mike take the blinkers off just because he's from Kerry ... Spillane was a great footballer but he's a total gobshite as a pundit, and he'd be a total gobshite as a pundit if he was from Carlow, Leitrim or Rathlin Island

He has nothing fresh to say. The GAA pres was on today or yest about TSG comments often being dull.and they are. But the hurling is great.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2015, 01:02:56 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 04, 2008, 04:17:46 PM

He has nothing fresh to say. The GAA pres was on today or yest about TSG comments often being dull.and they are. But the hurling is great.

In fairness to Joe dull is one thing he never is.

Mr. Got My Dander Up striking again I see too. Deal with the BS on the field (and off it) and not the people capitalizing on it.

Mayo4Sam14

What do you think of that Joe Brolly?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Say what you will about Joe Brolly but let nobody question his character
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!