GAA Trivia

Started by The Claw, November 14, 2006, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Hill - that was Des Foley.

Who appeared in five successive All-Ireland Senior Football Finals in the fifties (including replays)?

Windmill abu

3 Players who have captained their clubs and counties to all ireland titles - Billy Morgan, Tony Hanahoe & Ray Silke. Dont think any of them did it in the same year, so maybe their are 3 others in Hurling
Never underestimate the power of complaining

The Claw

Quote from: Bensars on November 15, 2006, 09:57:34 AM
What about 3 players who have captained their club to all ireland title and captained their county to all ireland in the same year ?

Ray Silke would have to be one of them, Jackie Tyrell another,not sure of the third.

Only heard this second hand, so dont take it as gospel but
Who is the only man to have a Sigerson Cup medal and a World Cup medal?

An Fhairche Abu

QuoteOnly heard this second hand, so dont take it as gospel but
Who is the only man to have a Sigerson Cup medal and a World Cup medal?

This is a mythical event, I think Socrates is the common answer to this question and he never won (or even played in) a Sigerson Cup final.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Claw on November 15, 2006, 11:29:23 AM
What about 3 players who have captained their club to all ireland title and captained their county to all ireland in the same year ?

Ray Silke would have to be one of them, Jackie Tyrell another,not sure of the third.

Joe Connolly.

Did he not lift the Club title with Castlegar before going onto lift Liam in September with Galway?

Tyrell may of won the club the previous year, 2005, but Portumna won it this year when he won the AI with Kilkenny

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Hardy on November 15, 2006, 11:15:15 AM

Who appeared in five successive All-Ireland Senior Football Finals in the fifties (including replays)?

Hardy, I'd guess it was a referee but I haven't found a name yet.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

The Claw

Quote from: johnneycool on November 15, 2006, 11:44:04 AM
Quote from: The Claw on November 15, 2006, 11:29:23 AM

Joe Connolly.

Did he not lift the Club title with Castlegar before going onto lift Liam in September with Galway?

Tyrell may of won the club the previous year, 2005, but Portumna won it this year when he won the AI with Kilkenny

Ah yes, stand corrected.

Groot Baas

Ex-Intercounty Senior player, that captained a senior international rugby union/Country side (not sure if it's 7's or XV) - The player is Irish, played football in the 80's, is male, and as far as I know never played representative rugby at eny level in Ireland (club/province/country) 
Zinzan Brooke and all previous answers wrong.

Kerry Mike

Quote3 Players who have captained their clubs and counties to all ireland titles

Pat Spillane captained Thomond College (NIHE) to the AI club title and also lifted Sam Maguire as a stand in vice-captain for Mickey Ned O'Sullivan.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Spiritof98

Quote:

This is a mythical event, I think Socrates is the common answer to this question and he never won (or even played in) a Sigerson Cup final.

I heard it was the fact he was the physio that day (med student lending a hand), but I always questioned this as well.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

CompulsoryTillager

Socrates never won a World Cup, Gerd Muller is the answer to that mythical question, though he like Socrates never went to college in ireland

ludermor

Quote from: Bensars on November 15, 2006, 10:47:18 AM
Just to put that one to bed for the sake of full scale warfare, the answer i was looking for was armagh.

I hadnt counted on people trawling back to 1920 or 1905.........for the sake of argument just forget that one

Jeez!!
As if ye dont get enough stick about football only existing since Armagh won

passedit

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 15, 2006, 11:50:34 AM
Quote from: Hardy on November 15, 2006, 11:15:15 AM

Hardy, I'd guess it was a referee but I haven't found a name yet.

I'd say Peter Mc Dermott
Don't Panic

schemozzler

Wouldn't Mick Galwey have played inter-county football (1 A-I medal) and captained Ireland also at some stage. Philip Daniher of Limerick played in the '91 Munster final. What GAA athletes have achieved notable successes at the Olympics?  I know a Kerry footballer (Eamon Fitzgerald?) was the best long jumper in the world in his era c. 1920's, finishing 4th, and this was only due to competing with an injury at the Games. More importantly, this Olympian also won a few All-Ireland medals.

Over the Bar

In football who holds the senior inter-county scoring record in one game?