New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: johnnycool on February 13, 2024, 11:42:19 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 13, 2024, 10:46:47 AM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

XC90 and KIA Sorento definitely have better space in the 3rd row. Kodiaq not as good. All three drive better well to be fair but would say XC90 is best by far. Higher price but you get what you pay for I guess. with whatever one we go with, long term I hope none of the three give any long term problems and are easy to run.

JCool do you know the dealer your friend buys from in Scotland? Thanks

johnnycool

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 14, 2024, 09:35:30 AM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

XC90 and KIA Sorento definitely have better space in the 3rd row. Kodiaq not as good. All three drive better well to be fair but would say XC90 is best by far. Higher price but you get what you pay for I guess. with whatever one we go with, long term I hope none of the three give any long term problems and are easy to run.

Arnold Clark mostly he says;

Arnold

TabClear

Quote from: johnnycool on February 14, 2024, 10:16:14 AM

Arnold

Does he get much of a discount off list price from them? I spoke to them on a car i was interested in at about £20k and I probably needed about £500 off to make it worth travel etc and they were not for budging on the price.  I was not prepared to travel over and then try to haggle as the option of walking away becomes expensive then.

I have heard that there are much fewer dealers in the UK (and NI) prepared to move on price now because of all the car supermarkets that have a no haggle policy. Would be interested to hear if people's experiences back this up, particularly if trying to negotiate on phone before travelling to UK.

johnnycool

Quote from: TabClear on February 14, 2024, 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 14, 2024, 10:16:14 AM

Arnold

Does he get much of a discount off list price from them? I spoke to them on a car i was interested in at about £20k and I probably needed about £500 off to make it worth travel etc and they were not for budging on the price.  I was not prepared to travel over and then try to haggle as the option of walking away becomes expensive then.

I have heard that there are much fewer dealers in the UK (and NI) prepared to move on price now because of all the car supermarkets that have a no haggle policy. Would be interested to hear if people's experiences back this up, particularly if trying to negotiate on phone before travelling to UK.

He's a Tyrone man so I'd doubt he pays full price  ;D

He didn't mention haggling but was comparing against Belfast prices for a similar spec'd car and reckoned he was almost 6K better off, so well worth the flights and boat tickets etc etc, but he did say to ensure that they agree for local garages to honour the warranty before you buy.

trueblue1234

Uk dealers definitely don't haggle as much as NI dealers. And that's mostly to do with competition. They're priced to sell over there. Here most dealers are building in more haggle room because of the expectation of buyers that they'll "get a better deal". I'd prefer the UK way. Price it well and you'll not need to knock £500 off just to feel like you get a good deal.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 14, 2024, 11:50:31 AMUk dealers definitely don't haggle as much as NI dealers. And that's mostly to do with competition. They're priced to sell over there. Here most dealers are building in more haggle room because of the expectation of buyers that they'll "get a better deal". I'd prefer the UK way. Price it well and you'll not need to knock £500 off just to feel like you get a good deal.
I know a fella who buys and sells cars rather than a proper "dealer" and he says he always has his haggle money built into the price as he knows men here, and especially country folk, have it built into their ego that they haven't got a real deal unless they've got money off. Pure ego massage stuff and doing that dance knowing full well what he can knock off before he even starts. I'd be surprised if any of them were any different.

imtommygunn

It's a basic psychology thing. Make the person feel like they've got a great deal and you've been receptive to them even if they don't use the full wiggle room. I'd be surprised were that not global. The car dealers are trying to scrape every penny out of you - e.g. no petrol in your tank, no car tax etc.

tintin25

Looking for a new car at the moment and seen a car I liked at a dealership last weekend.  Looking to buy outright so appreciate less room to haggle although the dealer wasn't budging an inch.  Would he take £200 less - no, would he do 12 months warranty even instead of 6 - no.  I wouldn't mind but the car had a small key mark on it and scorch on the alloy yet he wasn't being flexible at all.

Puckoon

Quote from: tintin25 on February 14, 2024, 05:52:15 PMLooking for a new car at the moment and seen a car I liked at a dealership last weekend.  Looking to buy outright so appreciate less room to haggle although the dealer wasn't budging an inch.  Would he take £200 less - no, would he do 12 months warranty even instead of 6 - no.  I wouldn't mind but the car had a small key mark on it and scorch on the alloy yet he wasn't being flexible at all.

Business must be booming for them, and there's another lad coming behind you ready to take it. In my own industry at the moment we're offering all kind of concessions just to secure the business and revenue that will naturally grow a little with change orders and the like. In 16 years I've never seen a buyers market like it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: tintin25 on February 14, 2024, 05:52:15 PMLooking for a new car at the moment and seen a car I liked at a dealership last weekend.  Looking to buy outright so appreciate less room to haggle although the dealer wasn't budging an inch.  Would he take £200 less - no, would he do 12 months warranty even instead of 6 - no.  I wouldn't mind but the car had a small key mark on it and scorch on the alloy yet he wasn't being flexible at all.

Was he just being a dick? I once had one say that they wouldn't budge on any price as it was their livelihood and they couldn't afford it. They were blatantly ripping the arse out of it too so I walked away.

Champion The Wonder Horse

1 litre engines.
Have two young drivers, so cheap insurance is a draw, but are the engines worth it?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2024, 07:43:48 PM1 litre engines.
Have two young drivers, so cheap insurance is a draw, but are the engines worth it?
It's not the engines I'm worried about. The eldest fella has a 1.1 Fiesta and have driven it I would say it's grand for what he needs (my own car is 2l diesel). My bigger concern is that it's a wee tin can that probably wouldn't stand up to much in a crash and says it gets blown about a bit on the motorway. I'm considering upgrading to a Golf, Leon or similar. Muddle lad is doing lessons at the minute so this is fresh again for us.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2024, 08:01:29 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2024, 07:43:48 PM1 litre engines.
It's not the engines I'm worried about. The eldest fella has a 1.1 Fiesta and have driven it I would say it's grand for what he needs (my own car is 2l diesel). My bigger concern is that it's a wee tin can that probably wouldn't stand up to much in a crash and says it gets blown about a bit on the motorway. I'm considering upgrading to a Golf, Leon or similar. Muddle lad is doing lessons at the minute so this is fresh again for us.

Thanks Tony.

Actually looking at a 1 litre Leon.

tintin25

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 14, 2024, 07:22:35 PM

Was he just being a dick? I once had one say that they wouldn't budge on any price as it was their livelihood and they couldn't afford it. They were blatantly ripping the arse out of it too so I walked away.

Not really.  He was old school and was adamant that the cash price was set correctly and there would be no movement.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 14, 2024, 08:04:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2024, 08:01:29 PM

Thanks Tony.

Actually looking at a 1 litre Leon.
Post back when you take a look if you don't mind. 1 litre engine is a different beast from we were young.