Niall Ewing Interview "This is not what I signed up for"

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 14, 2018, 10:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 18, 2018, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 10:11:03 PM
Tommy Murphy was a back of an envelope TOURNAMENT.

Like the Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher cups in Hurling currently?

Even the once semi respectable Christy Ring cup didn't have the result of the final mentioned on the news.

Rossfan

NO!
They are hurling Championships for football Counties who have a small minority of hurlers e.g Longford who pick from 60 adult hurlers.
Tommy was a tournament you  played after you were knocked out of
1 -Provincial Championship
2 - A.I Qualifiers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

The main thing for me in Ewing's interview:

"Players in every county not been given an equal opportunity to develop their potential."

Critics and their propagandists in the media talk about the inequity in provincial system, but hardly ever about the inequity from county to county. Remove Dublin. Other counties still have huge advantages over rivals because they have more money to develop players potential and development panels from youth.. Why do they have more money:

A) bigger population = equals more money from support base
b) More businesses in economic hotspots  = more commercial support
C) bigger population = more gov clout and more funding

It goes on...

What county would trade places with the Leitrims of the world. It's a shame a player of Emlyn Mulligans talents will never get to play in Croke Park. This message was sponsored by absolutelyfuckingnoone.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 11:35:30 PM
Don't all Counties have 3 tiers in their Club Championships?
Kerry and Cork have more I suspect.
I never yet saw an unhappy Junior or Inter Championship winning team.
John Horan is supposed to be going round talking to Counties to see what they might want.
Who said the winners wouldn't be happy? My point is that some junior clubs have very little chance of ever winning the junior championship so what's the point of changing from one problematic format to another ?

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on July 19, 2018, 12:08:01 AM
The main thing for me in Ewing's interview:

"Players in every county not been given an equal opportunity to develop their potential."

Critics and their propagandists in the media talk about the inequity in provincial system, but hardly ever about the inequity from county to county. Remove Dublin. Other counties still have huge advantages over rivals because they have more money to develop players potential and development panels from youth.. Why do they have more money:

A) bigger population = equals more money from support base
b) More businesses in economic hotspots  = more commercial support
C) bigger population = more gov clout and more funding

It goes on...

What county would trade places with the Leitrims of the world. It's a shame a player of Emlyn Mulligans talents will never get to play in Croke Park. This message was sponsored by absolutelyfuckingnoone.
Good post.
I doubt if we'll see representative football moving from the County unit, with all its inequalities, in our lifetimes.

Captain Obvious

sligoman2

He has been a solid footballer and has given Sligo great service.  I still think the concept of a second tier for div 3 and 4 counties after they are knocked out of the championship (no back door) should be considered but ONLY if the winners and runners up rejoin at the qf stage.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 09:47:43 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2018, 09:37:57 AM
2015 Nicky Rackard Cup Final.
Totally irrelevant question.

And was it shown live this year on National TV?

The only irrelevancy is tiered completions, Tommy Murphy, Christy Ring, McDonagh and Rackard. Standards drop crowds drop interest drops TV drops.

There is a reason why Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

The standards in those hurling competitions haven't dropped at all. They've improved if anything.

The problems are firstly a playing base and secondly the resources put into these codes through the years pales into insignificance as to what the likes of Limerick, Galway, Tipp, Cork etc can put into their teams.

It's not surprising that there's less disparity in both at club level hence why clubs in Carlow, Antrim, Derry, Offaly aren't found wanting in the club AI series and competing with the top tier counties.

That's the reality in hurling and if the truth is told football is exactly the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: johnnycool on July 19, 2018, 12:56:00 PM

The only irrelevancy is tiered completions, Tommy Murphy, Christy Ring, McDonagh and Rackard. Standards drop crowds drop interest drops TV drops.

The standards in those hurling competitions haven't dropped at all. They've improved if anything.

I'd imagine lads would be putting more in when they have a realistic chance of winning a competition.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 03:05:47 PM

I'd imagine lads would be putting more in when they have a realistic chance of winning a competition.

You'd be imagining wrong.

johnnycool

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 03:34:44 PM

So, when Roscommon were regularly getting hammered out the gate by Galway in the now defunct Connacht hurling championship they were putting more effort in than what they do now when they've a realistic chance of winning a Nicky Rackard??

What are you basing this on?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: johnnycool on July 19, 2018, 04:38:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 03:34:44 PM

So, when Roscommon were regularly getting hammered out the gate by Galway in the now defunct Connacht hurling championship they were putting more effort in than what they do now when they've a realistic chance of winning a Nicky Rackard??

What are you basing this on?

Do you know anything all about the state of Roscommon hurling to even utter this thought?

rosnarun

if your crap  one of the currently weaker team do you deserve any exposure ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2018, 04:42:31 PM
Have standards in Antrim improved?
Let's have Cavan v Galway next year.
That should improve the Cavan lads.