Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Was told that there are no proposals concerning either football or hurling leagues that made it onto the list for convention next week.

shambo

will they change? The clubs who want a change wont get the support from clubs they have shit on in the past.

Ballycastle will come down next year, maybe and it will change then :P

imtommygunn

Does anyone know if the Rossa minor game went ahead yesterday and if so what the score was?

theskull1

Pitch unplayable I think
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: shambo on November 30, 2009, 07:06:49 PM
will they change? The clubs who want a change wont get the support from clubs they have shit on in the past.

Ballycastle will come down next year, maybe and it will change then :P

In Antrim has the CCC (or whatever they're called) not got the power to table a motion at the convention?

CountyGK

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 30, 2009, 08:57:15 PM
Does anyone know if the Rossa minor game went ahead yesterday and if so what the score was?

the o'donnovan rossa match will be played on the 13th of december, as pitch was unplayable there last sunday

Guillem2

I can't see the leagues being changed this year with Div 2 unfinished. If they decided to put 2 teams up to Div 1 thered be some row over who joins Oisins.

But Div 4A and 4B could be amalgamated.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Tony Baloney

Are league structures really rocket science that we can't have a format that can be used year on year. If teams need to be forced to fulfill their fixtures by the means of sanctions then so be it. I know it is an amateur association and games get canned due to bad pitches etc but how many other sports change the league format every year to suit a few teams instead of forcing the teams to fall into line with the structures in place. Or is that an overly simplistic view?

slow corner back

I have always liked the eight team leagues, keeps them competitive. Not too much between the teams although there will always be a winer and a team relegated. Stops Div 1 becoming a closed shop as well. I think relegation is a good thing for the big clubs, makes them take a long hard look at themselves. In the mid nineties Loughgiel were down in division 2 when it was eight team leagues, I have very happy memories of Armoy turning them over in Loughgiel at the time. Loghgiel didnt like it tok a long hard look at the underage structures and started to win a load of underage stuff from 98-99 onwards. I know it has not brought Loughgiel a championship but they have produced a lot of very good hurlers over the last 10-15 years and really should have one at least one of the six finals in a row they made it to. If Div 1 is put up to 12 or 14 teams then some of the middle ranking clubs likeSt Johns or Ballycastle can cruise along and maintain the position in Division 1 without showing a lot of ambition and hope to catch someone in the championship on an off day. If/when they get relegated they realise they have to put in some proper work to restore their club back to where ( they think )it belongs.
Lower down the food chain it makes for more intresting and closer matches as well which normally helps maintain intrest.

shambo

Leagues wont be changed, the Johnnies will be figting it out with Rossa next year to see who goes up. Gorts and Galls will fall short but leagues will be competitive.

Who'll drop from thefirst division? Cushendall wont be dropping but they don't seem to have the quality coming through as they had years ago. They have not been competitive at underage level for a while.

Will there be a team that will dominate for a while or will there be a better spread of senior championships?

slow corner back

Did Cushendall not win the minor championship last year? They were certainly in the final against Loughgiel and drew the first day, I was at it. Paddy McNaughten was a minor this year, he is a good player for a young fella. I think Cushendall will be there for a year or two yet, McManus and Graffin were both U-21 this year for a start.

Minder

Quote from: slow corner back on December 04, 2009, 09:58:11 PM
Did Cushendall not win the minor championship last year? They were certainly in the final against Loughgiel and drew the first day, I was at it. Paddy McNaughten was a minor this year, he is a good player for a young fella. I think Cushendall will be there for a year or two yet, McManus and Graffin were both U-21 this year for a start.

Loughgile won it in 2007 and 2008, Cushendall had them well beat in Casement in 2007 but Loughgile came back well and got a goal deep into injury time and won the replay well in Ballycastle.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Its good winning underage championships but the main aim is to bring players through to senior. All it takes is 2-3 players from each underage team to keep you going.

shambo

Country teams usually bring more players through to senior. Belfast teams struggle in that department.

what Junior team will make the breakthrough? can Rasharkin improve on this years win? will Armoy come strong again?

Clooney Gaels failed badly this year and i thought they would be a force. St Pauls and Lamhs can they re-discover form?

Two Hands FFS

Cloughmills could & should improve as most of their older players wouldnt have played much underage hurling..now all their younger players have played for St Brendans and dont seem to be losing any more players to their neighbours :P. They had 3 players on the county minor team. Having their own pitch now gives them a base that they never had. How well they do depends on their commitment & ambition. Its up to them.