Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dar31

Definitely need a clear out as that will free up more money for new signings and might give a a few under performers a kick up the backside and perform or they might be next. Id love to see united sign a pacy cb  to play alongside maguire as unfortunately bailly gets injured  if he plays more thsn one game at a time

sid waddell

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 21, 2020, 05:40:22 PM

Not only is the club management inept at recruiting, they're also abysmal at clearing out the junk. This bloated, directionless stagnation manifests on the pitch.
Manchester United need to find a club naive enough to pay big money for their unwanted players in the same way Liverpool got Bournemouth to do that

Steve Bruce would surely throw a few bob their way

Is that generation of 1990s Manchester United players all gone from management now apart from him?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 21, 2020, 05:40:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 21, 2020, 03:38:20 PM
That's exactly right. United have multiple positions of need. Ole has addressed then at each transfer window and cleared out a lot of dead wood while still managing to finish 3rd and make semis of all competitions United were in last season. To say he's clueless is actually far more idiotic than to say he's definitely the man to bring United back to the top (I like the guy but jury is out on that one). People do not seem to understand that United are handicapped like no other team in the world of soccer by their owners and their absolutely clueless (about the sport) henchmen. I got the feeling the owners got sick of Mourinho's failures in the transfer market and it was somewhat justifiable that they pulled back from writing cheques for him. No such justification arises now....OGS's signings have been really good. A huge job remains due the the magnitude of the damage Mourinho did. As a United supporter I'm getting really tired of seeing Lindelof and Shaw in particular making the same mistakes over and over again but I realise it's better to suffer on rather than panic and buy the wrong player and get rooked for it. We've seen too much of that.

Rashford's form worries me. He didn't have a great end to last season and again looked a shadow of himself on Saturday.

An awful lot more still to do on that front, but that's really another issue to nail Woodward on.

Five senior keepers at the club. One away on loan, but why so many?

Seven! senior centre backs still on the books. Two, maybe three, of these could and should be gone.

Dalot is failed adventure and has no future. Pereira the same.

Lingard and Mata also well past the point of usefulness.

Probably £25million a year of wasted wages there.

Not only is the club management inept at recruiting, they're also abysmal at clearing out the junk. This bloated, directionless stagnation manifests on the pitch.

Where do you clear a Lingard to? He is rumoured to be on £100k a week. Who eould match that? Mata on £160k might be a bit easier as he might take a paycut to go back to Spain.

The problem is they are a random group of massively expensive signings. United boast about their wagebill being the biggest in sport, so signings can demand more money than they are worth and you end up with hugely overpaid dross on 5 year deals. You even sign Sanchez on £29k a touch just to stop him going to city.

The place is a madhouse, and they still came third.

Maguire is a classic example of an ok player crushed by his transfer fee. The £12m Leicester paid was about right. He didn't become worse, but £80m was a millstone.

Maroon Manc

There's a buyer for any player at the right money but United's biggest problem is every player they want to get rid of is on more money than what they should be and thats Woodwards fault. Liverpool bought plenty of players who aren't up to it but look at the money they got for Benteke, Ibe, Sakho, Solanke & Danny Ward; Thats nearly £100m for some very average players whilst United let good players leave the club in Zaha, Jonny Evans, Ander Herrera & Michael Keane leave the club for a combined £12m all under Woodwards watch.

He's now in his 8th year in his role, I'd like to think he's learnt from his mistakes but I'm not convinced. Pogba will have one year left on his deal next summer and no doubt United will be backed into a corner, Martial let his deal run down and was given a contract he didn't deserve at the time although his performances in the last 6 months perhaps reflect that sort of money.

We'll see what Woodwards about in the next few weeks and whether he can move Rojo, Dalot, Jones, Lingard & Periera who are all clearly not wanted.

There's a lot of nonsense about wage bills too, Liverpools wage bill for last season when accounts are released will be more than Uniteds.

Dar31

Nice goals by rashford and greenwood tonight and nice to get a win and a run out for a few squad players as well

Cunny Funt

Typical early round league cup tie with United making 10 changes from the weekend and Luton 9. On course for a 1-0 win until 3 first choice players (Bruno,Rashford,Greenwood) put the game out of reach for Luton.  Brighton away twice in week if they beat Preston tomorrow.

NAG1

Last night kind of exposed even more the gap between the starting 11 and the squad players.

Without the penalty they did not look like scoring at all. Not much threat coming down the flanks, AWB doesnt offer enough going forward and asking a young player like BW to play left back when he is right footed totally negates any threat coming down that side.

Jessie looked a bit more like his old self, taking into account the opposition etc but he looked interested. Whether he is playing for a move or a contract we don't know at this point.

VDB looks good on the ball and hopefully as he gains match fitness with the rest he will fit in nicely. Squad still way short in terms of quality not numbers.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 22, 2020, 06:06:39 PM

There's a lot of nonsense about wage bills too, Liverpools wage bill for last season when accounts are released will be more than Uniteds.

I would doubt that.

elisecoen

There are a lot of things I can point out. Below are two of the crucial fundamentals I noticed.

SAF

Sir Alex Ferguson, I believe he is the greatest manager. He has not entertained any player who tried to dictate the manager. For someone as good as him I feel like he over estimated the capabilities of other managers who are to succeed. The things he did with mediocre squad cannot be repeated by other managers. The result is the managers trying to buy ready made players who are not fit for united. Now most of these players are baited by cashmere and their performance was not near any "United" passionate player.

Transfer policy

Man united is wavering between a club who it once was and a club who wants immediate success. United has always been a club that invested in the youth along with having a bunch of experiences top class players to help the youth. If you go back decades this is what United believed in and always tried to do. Post SAF transfer have been a heavy money flops. The players are recruited for huge salaries and we're demanded instant success. This is not possible in most of the cases given how the EPL and media are on your back. For example look at David dea Gea, the guy was terrible in his first two seasons. He has been the saviour for United for all the recent past we remember. Ole is seeming to not rush the players and prepare the squad over a couple of seasons. He is asking to invest in youthful talent.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Pogba - i just dont see it. He'll prob score now. Are him and Matic too big/immobile as a pair.

Utd have a v sharp lookin forward line, but other than that...

GJL

That's taking Fergie time to a whole new level!  ;D

gerrykeegan

Unbelievable. Deserved nothing I thought. AWB is awful. Great penalty in the end.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Great to see. Another massive win to paper over the cracks and keep Ole at the wheel another while.  ;D

J70

Complete idiocy from the Brighton player.