From the North,who would you vote for in free state general election?

Started by T Fearon, February 23, 2016, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Sunningdale could not have suceeded while the IRA were conducting a war at the time, apart from anything else moderate Protestants would expect peace in return for a settlement. Bombs in England such as the M62 bomb hardly encouraged the British government or military either. Paisley and Adams are two sides of the same coin, they overthrew Sunningdale while working something not vastly different 2000 lives later.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 26, 2016, 10:40:35 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 09:14:57 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2016, 05:48:24 PM
Obviously the Maria Cahill and other similar cover ups have been airbrushed from SF lackeydom.
I'm not a SF lackey, but Ms Cahill appeared content at one stage to allow the IRA to deal with her abusers and later was associated with dissidents so her airing of the abuse she suffered must be view in this context. That in no way excuses it and it should have been reported at the time to the police. However the community from which she comes would not have had any faith in the RUC, something that seems strangely beyond the comprehension of some in the South of this country. Just as tawdry as the provisional movements original handling of the abuse was the opportunistic way in which parties in the South used it as a political stick to beat SF.

It's called politics
No it is beyond politics when it uses someone else's misery or plight.

Has every party not used (or at least pretended to) someone else misery or plight?

'the most vulnerable in society'
'victims of British/Loyalist/Republican violence'
'inequality'
'the poverty line'
'the widening gap in society'
'those carrying the tax burden'

Surely all politicians fight to be seen on the moral high ground?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on February 26, 2016, 04:30:48 PM
Best just leave it mate

What is the point of contention here? That Adams wanted to overthrow the Sunningdale agreement or that he is off the hook because similar elements on the other side got there first?
Are you saying that Adams supported the Sunnindale agreeement?

haranguerer

I'm saying you've made a bollocks of yourself here and you should just leave it, as your attempts to claw your way out are more likely to make you look worse than better

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on February 26, 2016, 08:59:40 PM
I'm saying you've made a bollocks of yourself here and you should just leave it, as your attempts to claw your way out are more likely to make you look worse than better

I suppose that's one way to avoid my question, are you saying that Adams supported the Sunnindale agreement?

But you should really have just stared at a spot on the wall and said nothing.