iPod & iTunes help

Started by Over the Bar, January 31, 2007, 11:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2010, 11:37:59 AM
Hi Lads,

Sorry as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have a load of music etc on my laptop on an iTunes library for my iPod. Now I have to swap my computer, but the old one is still working fine.

How difficult is it to transfer the library onto the new computer and authorise the new one to sync without losing all my music on either the iPod or the library? Do I need to de-authorise the old one?

Sorry for being a numpty about this.

Cheers
Minder was doing this yesterday as he was transferring from his old laptop to his new MacBook so he may be of assistance.

Main Street

Have you figured it out yet AZ? There must be a zillion 'how to' guides out there.
In MacOs you just use Applicat/Utilities/Migration assistant or Time machine or just copy the iTunes folder onto an external hd.
Do you use Windows OS?
You are aware that the iTune library files are stored in the folder  My Music?
Can't you just find some way in Windows to migrate files your new computer?
Just in case you have a problem  to copy your current iPod music into its  iTunes library,
here is a link to a shareware program which facilitates copying the files from iPod to another computer
http://rapidshare.com/files/380739635/CTS3.28.rar

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 17, 2010, 09:32:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2010, 11:37:59 AM
Hi Lads,

Sorry as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have a load of music etc on my laptop on an iTunes library for my iPod. Now I have to swap my computer, but the old one is still working fine.

How difficult is it to transfer the library onto the new computer and authorise the new one to sync without losing all my music on either the iPod or the library? Do I need to de-authorise the old one?

Sorry for being a numpty about this.

Cheers
Minder was doing this yesterday as he was transferring from his old laptop to his new MacBook so he may be of assistance.

I was just in the process of drafting a reply Tony. There is probably an easier way, but i googled and thought this was the easiest for me.

Make sure both computers are "authorized". What i did was "share" my library from my old pc to my new one. Obviously they need to be in the same Wi Fi connection/network.

In Itunes -

Edit>preferences>sharing. Tick "Look for shared libraries" & "Share my library on my local network", and select "share entire library. Both computers have to be set up for sharing. Itunes should pick up that you are set up for sharing and it will transfer the library from your old Itunes to the new Itunes. Somewhere in the left hand side of ITunes you should see a "Shared" section. I then imported them from the "Shared" library into the new blank Itunes library. This is where it got a bit time consuming for me, i couldnt see a way of importing them all in one fell swoop (I am sure there is a way) so had to right click on each track and "import". They are now in your new Itunes.

I would say Main Street or someone better versed will put you on the right road.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 17, 2010, 09:18:21 PM
As someone said above, apologies if this has been asked before, but the 'in ear' phones by Apple - was thinking of investing, but the price is putting me off. Are they any good, as I have to say that I have found the ordinary i Pod earphones disappointing as regards sound and the fact that they won't stay in my lugs!!   >:(  Maybe if I cleared out the spuds it might help!!   :-[
Chuck those apple pods into a bin, they are not fit for purpose.
I got a pair of these for my daughter and she like them, that means they are cool and stay in her ear.
The sound quality is good. £85 though
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Cable-Beats-Dr-Dre-Headphones/dp/B002GI2YXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292622958&sr=1-1

You can go lower
A Sennheiser cx300 for £15  is a bargain, about the best deal going, imo.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX-300-II-Precision-Noise-Isolating/dp/B001EZYMTK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292623090&sr=1-10

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on December 17, 2010, 10:07:30 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 17, 2010, 09:18:21 PM
As someone said above, apologies if this has been asked before, but the 'in ear' phones by Apple - was thinking of investing, but the price is putting me off. Are they any good, as I have to say that I have found the ordinary i Pod earphones disappointing as regards sound and the fact that they won't stay in my lugs!!   >:(  Maybe if I cleared out the spuds it might help!!   :-[
Chuck those apple pods into a bin, they are not fit for purpose.
I got a pair of these for my daughter and she like them, that means they are cool and stay in her ear.
The sound quality is good. £85 though
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Cable-Beats-Dr-Dre-Headphones/dp/B002GI2YXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292622958&sr=1-1

You can go lower
A Sennheiser cx300 for £15  is a bargain, about the best deal going, imo.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX-300-II-Precision-Noise-Isolating/dp/B001EZYMTK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292623090&sr=1-10

Thanks for that Main Street. I have a Classic iPod 80 Gb and I've just realised whilst reading up on the earpones that the mic (sp?) and remote control don't work with this 'older model', and I assume those features are a significant part of the price. I'll definitely check out what you recommended! 

Main Street

You can get the cable beats with or without the control talk feature, but they are similarly expensive, you have to treat them with care as you have more to lose.
That's why  (not great but defiantly good enough) Sennheiser cx300 pods for £20 make (sound) practical sense. They are a big upgrade from the apple pods.

AZOffaly

Thanks a million lads. I'll try this over the Christmas. I have a good few purchased songs from iTunes, so I don't want to lose them when I migrate the library. The music files themselves are already on the new computer.

Puckoon

I really dont understand why for such an expensive, well made product - the headphones associated with apple are beyond useless.

Don Johnson

Recently tried to sort out my music folders. I have downloaded the same songs a couple of times and have a good lot of duplicates in my iTunes library.

I know I can click on 'show duplicates' and this brings them all up. Then I could go through and delete each duplicate from the iTunes library but I was wondering is there any way of deleting from the library AND also taking it off my hard drive at the same time to get rid of clutter. Rather than go through my music folder one by one as it is a mess, all over the place.

I was thinking if there isn't a simple way to do this on iTunes that I try this:
-Copy entire iTunes library to iPod
-Delete Music folder from hard drive
-Use Copypod or something and copy the music from my Ipod to my newly blank Music folder
-This will then have the songs etc all tidied up into folders by Artist?? Am I right? This would make it a lot easier deleting the duplicates.

Really annoys me having the same song twice on both my iPod and hard drive, I get a bit OCD over it. Also annoys me when I flick through friend's iPods and they have the same artist down about two or three times (eg Beatles, Beetles and The Beatles).

DrinkingHarp

Ok, I am cheap - where can I get free music downloads for my Ipod Nano?

If not free then maybe a month or week of unlimited downloading for a set price.

New to the whole downloading thing so I will have the nephew do the downloading.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Minder

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on January 14, 2011, 11:22:29 PM

If not free then maybe a month or week of unlimited downloading for a set price.

New to the whole downloading thing so I will have the nephew do the downloading.

I use Ares, YouTube Convertor is supposed to be a grand job too. All free.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Don Johnson

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on January 14, 2011, 11:22:29 PM

If you don't mind a life of crime, use torrents.

Don Johnson

Finally ordered myself a new iPod Classic there last night after going so long without one. Got a Nano ordered as well for when I am on the go.

Anyway, is there anything I can do with my old water damaged one? Seems a waste just binning it, is it totally useless? I have tried all the usual methods, leeaving it in the hot press for ages, even when it has dried out it still doesn't turn on at all.

Main Street

Is it an iPod classic? There's not much you can do with it, unless you hold onto it and find (free advert?) someone who could scavenge the parts e.g. battery, drive. possibly the screen. There are people who would really appreciate a free classic to take apart.

Don Johnson

Yeah it is a silver 160gb Classic. Only had it for a couple of months before I spilt water on it one night, I ws drunk and spilt a pint of water on the floor and didn't notice until the morning my iPod was lying there beside it.