Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I think Johnson going to Brussels is good news in terms of getting a deal... fingers crossed they can get something done!!

balladmaker

Was always going to be the way it ended ... Boris landing into Brussels at the last minute to rescue a glorious deal for the precious UK ... whist being shafted by the EU

red hander

And hopefully the DUP being shafted by their Tory 'friends'... yet again.

Seaney

As soon as Cummings went, Boris was going to buckle.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Seaney on December 08, 2020, 08:47:09 AM
As soon as Cummings went, Boris was going to buckle.

Cummings was always going to go when it was getting close to push and shove time.

He'd never want to be attached to not delivering the undeliverable. Now he can blame someone else.
i usse an speelchekor

mouview

Quote from: balladmaker on December 07, 2020, 10:17:47 PM
Was always going to be the way it ended ... Boris landing into Brussels at the last minute to rescue a glorious deal for the precious UK ... whist being shafted by the EU

It's quite unlikely Boris has any convictions of his own. He just wants the honour of leading his country without any of the pesky irritations of actually having to do any work and make any difficult decisions. More than likely he was being subtly manipulated by Gove and Cummings (when he was in no. 10). Now that Cummings is gone and Gove is really panicking about crashing out, it'll be interesting to see which way BoJo sways now; is he still afraid enough of the ERG headbangers to try to appease them? He's not a details man and probably has the attention span of a gnat, so may have to bring 'Lord' Frost (another anti-EU Neanderthal) to the meeting with Ursula. Still could go either way.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on December 08, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

It's quite unlikely Boris has any convictions of his own. He just wants the honour of leading his country without any of the pesky irritations of actually having to do any work and make any difficult decisions. More than likely he was being subtly manipulated by Gove and Cummings (when he was in no. 10). Now that Cummings is gone and Gove is really panicking about crashing out, it'll be interesting to see which way BoJo sways now; is he still afraid enough of the ERG headbangers to try to appease them? He's not a details man and probably has the attention span of a gnat, so may have to bring 'Lord' Frost (another anti-EU Neanderthal) to the meeting with Ursula. Still could go either way.

Some lies coming out of the UK press and No.10. Boris was supposed to be involved in intense talks with Ursula von der Leyen for hours on end and then prior to traveling over to Brussels he's asked your man Frost for a dossier on how the talks are going, probably in bullet point format for him to digest.
Spoofer of the highest order. Problem is ordinary people are going to suffer because of him.

maddog

Quote from: johnnycool on December 08, 2020, 11:44:47 AM
Quote from: mouview on December 08, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

Some lies coming out of the UK press and No.10. Boris was supposed to be involved in intense talks with Ursula von der Leyen for hours on end and then prior to traveling over to Brussels he's asked your man Frost for a dossier on how the talks are going, probably in bullet point format for him to digest.
Spoofer of the highest order. Problem is ordinary people are going to suffer because of him.

Or another possibility is that something has been agreed and Johnson gets to over and dress up a huge turd as a win to keep the hardliners happy. A perceived black eye for the EU and the vaccine before Christmas would enable them to put some positive spin on things. That said someone described sending Johnson over there as similar to sending the grim reaper into an A&E ward so we shall see.

bennydorano

Up until 2 weeks ago I assumed there would be a deal of some sort done, since then I'm not so sure, Johnson certainly isn't flying into Brussels to save the day and sign off on something outlandish that wont get past his party. They are 100% prepared to take no deal and they are 100% not prepared for the consequences, but they don't live in reality so that matters little, in the event of No Deal, the press will be straight into little Englander, blame the EU mode. Consequences are for another day and for other people.

Cummings is still in the employ of HMG until the end of the year, there's plenty of people who are insinuating he's still got fingers in a few pies.

armaghniac

You wouldn't know, this time last year we have the same bollix, then Boris met Leo and the Withdrawal Agreement was signed forthwith.
While the hardliners are egging them on, I'm not sure that your average Briton is really up for any hardship in terms of increased prices etc and the Brexit propaganda hasn't prepared them for it. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Taylor

Thats that sorted now.

Bojo to the rescue

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on December 08, 2020, 02:37:11 PM
Up until 2 weeks ago I assumed there would be a deal of some sort done, since then I'm not so sure, Johnson certainly isn't flying into Brussels to save the day and sign off on something outlandish that wont get past his party. They are 100% prepared to take no deal and they are 100% not prepared for the consequences, but they don't live in reality so that matters little, in the event of No Deal, the press will be straight into little Englander, blame the EU mode. Consequences are for another day and for other people.

Cummings is still in the employ of HMG until the end of the year, there's plenty of people who are insinuating he's still got fingers in a few pies.

https://ft.com/content/16e84a65-3a95-468f-bcc1-5c8242cc3abc...... "Emmanuel Macron, French president, is often seen as the most likely intermediary in this scenario, dubbed by EU officials "the Boris folds and claims a great victory paradigm"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

I'd interpret it as a desperated last ditch attempt at cramming by Johnson to salvage a deal. What ever has been offered by the Westminister government  so far has been firmly rejected. I don't imagine he'll get anywhere with a final appeal to Ursula  unless everything that is left to concede is conceded.

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2020, 11:45:31 PM
I'd interpret it as a desperated last ditch attempt at cramming by Johnson to salvage a deal. What ever has been offered by the Westminister government  so far has been firmly rejected. I don't imagine he'll get anywhere with a final appeal to Ursula  unless everything that is left to concede is conceded.

They will both have to make concessions it'll be up to us/the media to decide who gave up the most and who is the winner and loser then and it will follow on from that.

Farage and the ERG won't want any kind of concession however small so Boris will have the same trouble with them as befell both his predecessors!! Also he's not as smart as VDL so difficult to see how he can pull a win out of this.

I don't really care who wins or loses as long as the economic impact can be minimised I just want it over at this stage it massively effects my work and once we know what happens we can make adjustments and crack on. Fingers crossed!