Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Saint 1963 on August 19, 2019, 05:51:04 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about Hawkeye and the point awarded to Kilkenny yesterday? Why does the caption used to award the score not show the position of the ball in relation to to crossbar at the point where Hogan actually caught the sliothar? With all the cameras at the game, isn't it strange not to have one positioned along the end line where everyone could see whether or not the point was scored!

Would the 2 uprights not get in the way of getting a proper view?

Milltown Row2

Does anyone have an opinion about Hawkeye and the point awarded to Kilkenny yesterday? Why does the caption used to award the score not show the position of the ball in relation to to crossbar at the point where Hogan actually caught the sliothar? With all the cameras at the game, isn't it strange not to have one positioned along the end line where everyone could see whether or not the point was scored!

I'd like to see that visually rather through Hawkeye's view! A whole hand with ball completely behind the post!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

I presume Hawkeye reacts when any part of the ball goes past the back of the crossbar, or the goal-line for that matter.

The official guide is not clear - it just says a point is scored "...when the ball is played over the crossbar..."

Should it say "all of the ball must be over the line or crossbar for a score?  Like the soccer? 

American football awards a touchdown when the front of the ball breaks the front edge of the line.

dublin7

They have 2 hawkeye systems they can use on match days. One is to check if the ball has gone between the posts and the other is to check if the ball has gone over the crossbar and been pulled back

Ball Hopper

Quote from: dublin7 on August 19, 2019, 09:03:59 PM
They have 2 hawkeye systems they can use on match days. One is to check if the ball has gone between the posts and the other is to check if the ball has gone over the crossbar and been pulled back

Is Hawkeye saying all the sliothar was behind the crossbar yesterday?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2019, 08:44:52 PM

I'd like to see that visually rather through Hawkeye's view! A whole hand with ball completely behind the post!

I had a good angle of that. Absolutely no way that that ball was completely behind the crossbar. Not a chance. I have a real problem with how Hawkeye shows that graphic, of course the trajectory of the ball is correct, but there's no way it went over the bar and the graphic makes it look clear cut. Goal Line type technology is the only thing that could answer that.

AZOffaly

Quote from: marty34 on August 19, 2019, 06:24:21 PM

Would the 2 uprights not get in the way of getting a proper view?

Not if the ball was completely over because the posts are the same width as the crossbar.

imtommygunn

Tipp keeper adamant it wasn't over the bar. Didn't think it was myself.

I only thought Hawkeye did between the posts. If Hawkeye deems it over the bar could they not show it? Would love to see how they set it up to do this.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2019, 09:28:32 PM

I had a good angle of that. Absolutely no way that that ball was completely behind the crossbar. Not a chance. I have a real problem with how Hawkeye shows that graphic, of course the trajectory of the ball is correct, but there's no way it went over the bar and the graphic makes it look clear cut. Goal Line type technology is the only thing that could answer that.

So Hawkeye "beeps" (insert correct technical term here) when any part of the ball goes behind the back of the crossbar.

I'll bet a clarification will be brought out soon (before next year's league) that all the ball must pass 100% behind the crossbar for a point or 100% over the line and under the crossbar for a goal.  Although the wording as is "..ball is played over the goal-line..."kind of insinuates that all of the ball must be over the line.

Maybe a few of us can ramble out to Croke Park with a few sliothars and a ladder (or bring Brian Hogan with us) and carry out some experiments for the GAA.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Rudi on August 19, 2019, 01:44:54 PM
I find it irritating commentators, pundits, journalists referring to John O Dwyer as bubbles. Bubbles this and bubbles that, feck off, shower of eggits.
Sports commentators shouldn't be using nicknames in the first place.
Could you imagine a soccer commentator saying that Psycho Pearce has passed the ball to Sicknote Anderton?

Ball Hopper

With the speed of restarts after a score or wide, should TV not bother with the replay, as they often miss the resumption of play.  Resumptions are critical these days.  Goes for hurling and football.

Never beat the deeler

source?
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/liam-sheedy-i-wouldn-t-be-an-all-ireland-champion-manager-only-for-eamon-o-shea-1.3990999

Liam Sheedy: 'I wouldn't be an All-Ireland champion manager only for Eamon O'Shea'
Tommy Dunne on the alchemy that makes the Tipp backroom tick
about 3 hours ago
Gavin Cummiskey

There's a warm glow inside the old Burlington hotel on this Monday morning after Tipperary topple Kilkenny. All comers from all counties. Anthony Daly and Derek McGrath giggle in the corner. Ger Cunningham stalls to say hello.

Here ends a decade embalmed by Tipp's hurling greatness. We gather on high stools to listen to groggy yet clear-eyed champions speak as freely and accurately as their hurling flowed the day before.

We seek out Eamon O'Shea. Be it glory or misery, the professor of economics always weaves a story to soar the imagination. A man of many hues; an epidemiologist, the Tipperary manager from 2012 to 2015 (when Kilkenny twice snatched the All-Ireland spoils), a "spontaneously" gifted coach who conjures hurling alchemy whenever the chord is connected to Liam Sheedy. 

Eamon is nowhere to be found but we are gifted something far better.Tommy Dunne tries but happily fails to explain what makes O'Shea so special,then Sheedy speaks about his old pal.

Dunne, the 2001 All-Ireland-winning captain, is asked how O'Shea's return to the fold following the National League impacted on the management and specifically his own role.

"I wasn't really head coach," Dunne explains. "It is a kind of unique coaching environment. Liam is a very hands-on coach. Darragh [Egan] is a hands-on coach as well. Myself and Darragh did most of the coaching in the pre-season and after Christmas, and then Eamon came in.

"It was a terrific boost for us all. We just kind of let it flow and felt it out amongst ourselves. The dynamic and chemistry was good from the very start."

O'Shea's rhythmic voice was the last any Tipperary hurler heard before throw-in last Sunday.

Brian Cody 'amazed' by red card for Richie Hogan
Four Kilkenny coups from Brian Cody's back catalogue
Kevin McStay: No hiding Mayo's many mistakes against Dublin
"It's not something that fits into a box really," Dunne continues. "Eamon's style is very spontaneous. Very, very significant understanding of the game and he has a lot of experience with this group and with Liam over many years. That's a huge part of it.

"Part of the reason this thing works so well is there was no real overload on any one person; different people doing different things at different times. Hopefully the players got value out of that."

The sight of O'Shea running water bottles into players must wash a wave of humility over this Tipperary panel.

"You are there to make the group better and help the player improve, that's your only function as a coach, and obviously to ensure they turn into a cohesive team and playing to a system and a style that is true to itself. That's what we are all there for.

"If you are to ask me how the dynamic works I wouldn't be able to put it into words. It's just something that we took on a session by session basis and always measured on what was important for players."

That was Dunne. We could head away happy but before Sheedy's hoarse ode to Eamon we must tell a story about an emotional O'Shea speaking in Nowlan Park. It's July 2013 and unseen mishaps – Dublin caught Kilkenny while Limerick beat Tipp – landed hurling's alpha dogs in a unique do or die qualifier. The Marble City was aflame with anticipation. Lar Corbett's hamstring exploded as Henry Shefflin walked off the field with drenched Tipperary jersey stuck to his body.

"These guys are honourable men who went to fight today," O'Shea said afterwards. "They came out on the wrong side of the fight, but these are men of honour. These will be men of honour in the future.

"Whatever happens, we just lost a game by three points. We didn't lose what's in Tipperary. This team, a lot of them, with the guys coming behind them, will be back in the next couple of years. That I'm certain of."

Brian Cody uttered exactly the same sentiment on Sunday evening.   

Back to this Monday morning and Sheedy is asked how important it was to rope O'Shea back into the fold.

"Myself and Eamon O'Shea have a special relationship, there's no other words for it. We started back in 2008 and we went on a journey and the journey finished in 2010."

He was only ever climbing the Hogan steps with O'Shea on his shoulder.

"The reality is I wouldn't be sitting here today as an All-Ireland champion manager only for Eamon O'Shea. He has a special connection to me and he has a special connection to all the players and he just brings the best out of everyone.

"Eamon O'Shea is a very busy man. He has a hectic schedule. As I said, sometimes people just click and me and Eamon O'Shea click and click very well. As I said, I couldn't visualise myself going on this journey without having Eamon by my side and on my shoulder. Just thrilled this morning now, it's pure elation because we done it together in 2010 and here we are. It was a special moment in 2010 going up and throwing up the cup and yesterday, to do it again with Eamon by my side is a very special moment."

Sated, the media escape Dublin 4 just as the Tipperary bus takes The Liam MacCarthy Cup coloured blue and gold to Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 20, 2019, 05:56:43 AM

source?

Various GAA press releases. Piece in the Indo after Tipp beat Wexford in the semi final also confirms hawkeye is responsible for checking if ball has crossed the bar not the umpires in situations like sunday:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/refs-to-review-hawkeye-intervention-guidelines-following-john-mcgrath-disallowed-goal-controversy-38357774.html

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2019, 09:28:32 PM

The replays showed clearly that it was not a point. There was probably the smallest fraction of the sliothar over the "line".

The Hawkeye graphic even showed the line changing colour where the keeper caught it. The second colour showed the trajectory the ball would have taken had the keeper not caught it. And that was enough for Hawkeye to grant the point. Utter BS!