Things people do on TV / in films that never happen in real life

Started by Eamonnca1, February 07, 2019, 12:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

You are requited by law to carry your licence in Ireland.

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

Requirement to carry driving licence while driving vehicle.

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:

"40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

HiMucker

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 13, 2019, 12:37:52 AM
I always did this in Ireland and now do in USA also.

You sort of need to in America tho along with you medical card as if your in an accident the ambulance with dump you off at the side of the road if they think you have no insurance.

Sure does any1 in the free-state even have a licence? I know I wouldn't bother me hole if I could drive around without passing a test.
Is this not a myth?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2019, 02:21:25 PM

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:

"40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

While driving. That means having it in the car would suffice, which is where I had it when it was a booklet. Now it's in my wallet..

omaghjoe

Quote from: HiMucker on February 13, 2019, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 13, 2019, 12:37:52 AM
I always did this in Ireland and now do in USA also.

You sort of need to in America tho along with you medical card as if your in an accident the ambulance with dump you off at the side of the road if they think you have no insurance.

Sure does any1 in the free-state even have a licence? I know I wouldn't bother me hole if I could drive around without passing a test.
Is this not a myth?

Yeah pretty much, they'll just bankrupt you instead  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2019, 02:54:03 PM

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

While driving. That means having it in the car would suffice, which is where I had it when it was a booklet. Now it's in my wallet..

Ah. However (and this may be another myth) is it not a bad idea to be reaching into your glove compartment (are they still called that?) when the US cops stop you?

BennyCake

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

What's the story in the north?

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on February 13, 2019, 03:20:01 PM

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

What's the story in the north?

Not sure what the exact law is but I got stopped in my younger days by the peelers driving late at night with no license ( I didn't have one at the time) gave my cousins name and DOB who was in the passenger seat blocked and had to show the license at the local cop shop within 24hrs, which he duly did when he sobered the next day.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 13, 2019, 12:01:45 AM
USA residents versus Irish habits, I reckon.

In fairness, it's easy to carry here because it's the size of a credit card. How big is a license in the free state?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2019, 03:08:29 PM

Ah. However (and this may be another myth) is it not a bad idea to be reaching into your glove compartment (are they still called that?) when the US cops stop you?

Only if you're black. (Sorry Dolph, I know how offended you get by facts like this.)

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 13, 2019, 04:56:46 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 13, 2019, 12:01:45 AM
USA residents versus Irish habits, I reckon.

In fairness, it's easy to carry here because it's the size of a credit card. How big is a license in the free state?

In the Republic, it's the size of a credit card now too. Hence my earlier post :)

Ball Hopper

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

It is recommended to have both hands on the steering wheel at all times, especially when the cop is approaching from behind.  If he/she asks for your licence, and it is in the vehicle or in your pocket/wallet or wherever, just state where it is.  "It's in my wallet in my left rear pocket officer" and don't move a hand towards it till he/she tells you to do so. 

Before allowing you to reach for it. he/she will probably ask if you have any guns or weapons in the vehicle - and they tend to believe your answer most of the time. 

Of course, when you are pulled over in the US the first thing the officers will do is run your plates for any flags that might be raised.  That can take a few minutes and will determine the attitude (sometimes) of the officer as he/she approaches the vehicle. 

If they draw a weapon as they approach the vehicle, before any conversation at all, you will have a long day.

Main Street

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 13, 2019, 06:57:18 PM

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

It is recommended to have both hands on the steering wheel at all times, especially when the cop is approaching from behind.  If he/she asks for your licence, and it is in the vehicle or in your pocket/wallet or wherever, just state where it is.  "It's in my wallet in my left rear pocket officer" and don't move a hand towards it till he/she tells you to do so. 

Before allowing you to reach for it. he/she will probably ask if you have any guns or weapons in the vehicle - and they tend to believe your answer most of the time. 

Of course, when you are pulled over in the US the first thing the officers will do is run your plates for any flags that might be raised.  That can take a few minutes and will determine the attitude (sometimes) of the officer as he/she approaches the vehicle. 

If they draw a weapon as they approach the vehicle, before any conversation at all, you will have a long day.
Basically, in this relatively passive situation, the movies mirror real life.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 13, 2019, 06:57:18 PM

Road Traffic Act, 1994
PART IV

Driving Licences

Thats alot of info there Ball Hopper. Anythin you want to tell us?  :P

Only interaction ive had with the police on the road is after pulling out it got flashed by a cop and he told me to turn the lights on through the side window

Eamonnca1