Eamonn Holmes advocates creation of office of "N.Ireland President"

Started by T Fearon, April 13, 2017, 02:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 05:57:33 PM
Please someone explain to me why you would be interested in a United Ireland in light of the following?

- De Valera rejecting Churchill's offer of reunification during WW2?

Re-unification to be agreed between the Government of Eire and of Stormont if Eire ended its neutrality and entered the war. I am sure James Craig and John Andrews would have agreed to the re-unification.

seafoid

Quote from: LeoMc on April 14, 2017, 08:05:08 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 05:57:33 PM
Please someone explain to me why you would be interested in a United Ireland in light of the following?

- De Valera rejecting Churchill's offer of reunification during WW2?

Re-unification to be agreed between the Government of Eire and of Stormont if Eire ended its neutrality and entered the war. I am sure James Craig and John Andrews would have agreed to the re-unification.
Churchill showed how solid the union is in extremis.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
Is a UI any closer on account of SF's mandate? Are they (and logically Northern Nationalists) not universally reviled in the Dail? Is Dublin doing anything.to end partition?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Avondhu star

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 14, 2017, 01:00:00 AM
You free staters don't like the free state being called the free state, do you?
Particularly by subjects of Her Majesty who spend their Giro on Dutch Gold
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 08:35:19 PM
I still do not understand why a substantial section of people in the North aspire to Irish Unity when they have been shafted continuously by successive Dublin Governments since partition.For similar reasons I do not understand Unionists allegiance and trust in London Governments.
The NI state is and has been an abject failure since it's creation. I don't understand why people who should know better continue to cling on to this notion that being little more than an afterthought in a wider U.K. state will ever benefit the people here. They throw just enough money this direction to keep things ticking over and with Brexit meaning less EU money I struggle to see how our Tory overlords would be willing to replace those funds.

But yeah let's all hold hands, cheer on our wee colony football team and pretend northern irishness is actually a thing

Avondhu star

Quote from: general_lee on April 15, 2017, 10:49:33 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 08:35:19 PM
I still do not understand why a substantial section of people in the North aspire to Irish Unity when they have been shafted continuously by successive Dublin Governments since partition.For similar reasons I do not understand Unionists allegiance and trust in London Governments.
The NI state is and has been an abject failure since it's creation. I don't understand why people who should know better continue to cling on to this notion that being little more than an afterthought in a wider U.K. state will ever benefit the people here. They throw just enough money this direction to keep things ticking over and with Brexit meaning less EU money I struggle to see how our Tory overlords would be willing to replace those funds.

But yeah let's all hold hands, cheer on our wee colony football team and pretend northern irishness is actually a thing
[/quotstop. this is why Brexit could be the big changer and as always money is the deciding factor.
Will our Loyalist brethern be as loyal when the Gir is reduced?
Likewise with our DUP/OUP farming communities when the EU grants stop.
And will the ardent republicans in North Kerry or Whacker in Ballyfermot be happy having their income and or welfare slashed to keep food on the tables of the Shankill rd mob?

We will see how loyal or national people are then

Avondhu star