extortion

Started by illdecide, March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: WeeDonns on Today at 08:56:53 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 08:28:51 AMWe need to see more of this. Indeed it needs the full backing of VFI and another supplier ready to step in.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/dublin-pub-takes-stand-against-29004882

(Why do so many "news" websites have to destroy the user experience with an advert every scroll? Yes I clicked on that article because it interested me. No, I refuse to stay on that site and see if there's anything else interesting to read)

I thought you couldn't penalise customers for paying by card now? the article doesn't clearly explain their "cash discount scheme"
The Chinese we go to used to charge 50p to pay by card, now since that rule came in they only accept cash

Rules could be different in the South? Either way easy way round it would be to say you are rewarding people for using cash rather than penalising them for card. E.g. advertise something for £5.50 but give a  50p discount for cash etc.

lurganblue

Quote from: square_ball on Today at 08:43:20 AMI seen on Facebook the cafe in Rushmere Shopping Centre in Craigavon got their rates bill of £71k through the post! That is crazy money and when you throw in rent, staff, electric, stock and all the rest you would have to sell some amount of fish and chips to cover that on a daily basis.

I heard talk of that. Out of curiosity how does that compare to town centre rates in Lurgan/Portadown? Rushmere is flying at the minute and is usually packed. They'd have much more footfall there than in a town site.

lurganblue

Quote from: clonian on April 17, 2024, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2024, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 17, 2024, 02:54:51 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 17, 2024, 02:46:27 PMThe margins on pizza's must be fantastic, surely.

Was told this before yes. People seem happy to pay money for a pizza that they wouldn't pay for say a Chinese or a chippy.

Mate bought the stove and all the malarkey that goes with it.. not worth the hassle, its far cheaper to order

I bought a stone that goes in the oven, wasn't dear but should of bought a paddle too. Works well but even with that there's a lot of work with the dough etc. They are really good when you go to the hassle though

Ah here I was at this last summer too. I bought a pizza stone and stuck it in the gas bbq. Made the dough and all that. It's defo worth doing as something a bit different for the family. An ooni would be better I'm sure.

If this weather ever wised up I'd be ready to give it another whirl.

square_ball

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 09:32:25 AM
Quote from: square_ball on Today at 08:43:20 AMI seen on Facebook the cafe in Rushmere Shopping Centre in Craigavon got their rates bill of £71k through the post! That is crazy money and when you throw in rent, staff, electric, stock and all the rest you would have to sell some amount of fish and chips to cover that on a daily basis.

I heard talk of that. Out of curiosity how does that compare to town centre rates in Lurgan/Portadown? Rushmere is flying at the minute and is usually packed. They'd have much more footfall there than in a town site.

No idea about rates in Lurgan/Craigavon. True Rushmere is busy throughout the week and that cafe always seems to be busy as well so obviously they are still making enough to keep their business going. I'd imagine their location and footfall in the centre is relfected in their rent as well. But still a £71k rates bill is pretty high in any mans language.

thebigfella

Quote from: Armagh18 on Today at 09:21:42 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 08:28:51 AMWe need to see more of this. Indeed it needs the full backing of VFI and another supplier ready to step in.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/dublin-pub-takes-stand-against-29004882

(Why do so many "news" websites have to destroy the user experience with an advert every scroll? Yes I clicked on that article because it interested me. No, I refuse to stay on that site and see if there's anything else interesting to read)

I thought you couldn't penalise customers for paying by card now? the article doesn't clearly explain their "cash discount scheme"
The Chinese we go to used to charge 50p to pay by card, now since that rule came in they only accept cash

Rules could be different in the South? Either way easy way round it would be to say you are rewarding people for using cash rather than penalising them for card. E.g. advertise something for £5.50 but give a  50p discount for cash etc.

It's an EU directive under PSD2.

David McKeown

Quote from: thebigfella on Today at 10:38:59 AM

I'm not sure that easy way round it would pass much muster. No pun intended. It would at the very least need to be a % discount rather than a fixed fee per transaction one
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

clonian

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 09:35:17 AM
Quote from: clonian on April 17, 2024, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2024, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 17, 2024, 02:54:51 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 17, 2024, 02:46:27 PMThe margins on pizza's must be fantastic, surely.

Was told this before yes. People seem happy to pay money for a pizza that they wouldn't pay for say a Chinese or a chippy.

Mate bought the stove and all the malarkey that goes with it.. not worth the hassle, its far cheaper to order

I bought a stone that goes in the oven, wasn't dear but should of bought a paddle too. Works well but even with that there's a lot of work with the dough etc. They are really good when you go to the hassle though

Ah here I was at this last summer too. I bought a pizza stone and stuck it in the gas bbq. Made the dough and all that. It's defo worth doing as something a bit different for the family. An ooni would be better I'm sure.

If this weather ever wised up I'd be ready to give it another whirl.

Yeah - must get the paddle bought and give it a rattle again, hadn't used it on the BBQ yet but must give it a rattle. BBQ weather window wasn't great last year though.

thebigfella

Quote from: David McKeown on Today at 11:09:23 AM

I'm not sure that easy way round it would pass much muster. No pun intended. It would at the very least need to be a % discount rather than a fixed fee per transaction one

Think  might have quoted wrong  :)

You are right though, if it was challeged it could easily be interpreted as passing on a fixed surcharge.

Armagh18

Quote from: thebigfella on Today at 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on Today at 11:09:23 AM

Think  might have quoted wrong  :)

You are right though, if it was challeged it could easily be interpreted as passing on a fixed surcharge.
Could it? Is it illegal to offer a cash discount? (Providing you are declaring the income obviously)

thebigfella

Quote from: Armagh18 on Today at 12:30:53 PMCould it? Is it illegal to offer a cash discount? (Providing you are declaring the income obviously)

Yes if it's a fixed discount regardless of the purchase cost then it could easily be interpreted as a surcharge on using a card payment instrument. Not sure if there is any relevant case law which backs that up.