Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Fair play to him.

But why do senior management have to have U21 players in their team to the detrement of the U21s.  The only U21 on the team last year was Keating (I think?).  Surely there could have been some give and take?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

I suppose Carr wants his players available to mount a strong challenge in the league. I can see both sides of it. It's one of the reasons that I think the U-21s can be a bit of a nuisance grade. I think it's a bit unreasonable of Brady to demand that. Surely a bit of give and take is the only way to work it?

anglocelt39

Suppose if you look for a model of how to run an Under 21 and Senior set up you have to look back to the McHugh era when we made an under 21 AIF while contesting and winning Ulster senior finals. Think he had the two panels working together but might stand corrected. McCabe, Peter Larry and Jason Reilly were playing at Senior level when they were Under 21 But in at least two cases might have paid a long term price in terms of injury problems.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 24, 2009, 09:46:20 PM
Suppose if you look for a model of how to run an Under 21 and Senior set up you have to look back to the McHugh era when we made an under 21 AIF while contesting and winning Ulster senior finals. Think he had the two panels working together but might stand corrected. McCabe, Peter Larry and Jason Reilly were playing at Senior level when they were Under 21 But in at least two cases might have paid a long term price in terms of injury problems.

Every county will have a couple of players on both panels i dont think that has a factor in injuries.

anglocelt39

Quote from: space rabbit on September 25, 2009, 08:20:40 AM

Every county will have a couple of players on both panels i dont think that has a factor in injuries.

Agree but if you want an example of burnout Cavan style its worth having a look again at the tape of the 97 Ulster Final, McCabe in particular, for the remainder of his career he didn't move that freely very often. Peter Reilly-could apply the same comment to a lesser degree. As regards too much football too young lets not even talk about John Tierney.

space rabbit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on September 25, 2009, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: space rabbit on September 25, 2009, 08:20:40 AM

Agree but if you want an example of burnout Cavan style its worth having a look again at the tape of the 97 Ulster Final, McCabe in particular, for the remainder of his career he didn't move that freely very often. Peter Reilly-could apply the same comment to a lesser degree. As regards too much football too young lets not even talk about John Tierney.

Them two had serious knee injuries that could happen to anyone anytime they walk out onto a football field.  It was a disgrace what was done to Tierney. Watters is another fellow that will have to be careful, what i heard earlier in summer he was going to be out for a long time and next thing he is playing around the middle of the field for Drung in Breffini Park.

North Longford

Think Brady is right although I might be a bit biased. Next March or April when the U21's are beaten there will ony be one man to blame.........the trainer. He's a stickler for detail and if he believes there is a right way of training the team thats the way it will be done. If he allows ' a bit of give' then he is not doing it the way he sees fit. Why do it at all so.

boojangles

At this stage the priority in Cavan should be to win either an Ulster Minor Championship or an U-21 Ulster Championship.Everything has been put into the Senior set-up and nothing has come off it.I can see where Tommy Carr is coming from but in this case I think he is wrong.
Ciaran Brady IMO is the best local manager we have in the county and should have been given everything he wanted to make the U-21 team a success. Which would be more important to the overall development of football in Cavan- Promotion in the League or an U-21 Ulster Championship??? I know my answer. And thats why I think Tom Carr is wrong.
There are enough footballers in this county to fill a panel for the National League without using our U-21s.If an U-21 then is showing well enough then he can be brought in to the Senior set-up when the U-21 campaign is over. What U-21 player is that irreplaceable that can't be done without for the first few months of the year??? Keating,Givney???
None IMO.

space rabbit

Quote from: Drung on September 25, 2009, 10:49:30 AM
Agree 100% Boojangles, you hit the nail on the head there.

QuotePretty courageous effort there Drung using an anonymous internet discussion board to get a bit of personalised tittle tattle going about a well known Cavan GAA Official. But sure if you're lucky she hasn't got any family posting on here who might invite you to a personal meeting to clarify things.

I didn't get anything going, someone else did and I just replied.
Anglocelt39, what is this big invitation to a meeting that you keep referring to?!
I'm serious here, did I miss something? ???

Angocelt39 i think you need to lay off Drung you seem to have issues with him and jump in where ever you can to have a go at him.

Denn Forever

You'd also have to factor in the fact that a U21 players will also be training with their college team for Sigerson/Trench Cup.  How many Cavan players did DCU have last year?  Who takes precedent for training?  College or County?

Its a pity that some accommodation could not be made between Ciaran Brady and Tommy Carr. Is Ciaran not some part of the senior set up?  If so, will there not be some friction in that set up now? 

Interesting times ahead.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

anglocelt39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHaUOFwvZrg

Hope the link works. Watch it and weep when you compare it to some of our championship performances in the last year or two. Man of the match performance from Dermot McCabe, nearly sure he was at Under 21` level the same year.

Maximus Marillius

The two points that never should have been....totally incompetent ref decides where the silverware went. The ifs and buts of football.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on September 25, 2009, 10:07:17 AM
At this stage the priority in Cavan should be to win either an Ulster Minor Championship or an U-21 Ulster Championship.Everything has been put into the Senior set-up and nothing has come off it.I can see where Tommy Carr is coming from but in this case I think he is wrong.
Ciaran Brady IMO is the best local manager we have in the county and should have been given everything he wanted to make the U-21 team a success. Which would be more important to the overall development of football in Cavan- Promotion in the League or an U-21 Ulster Championship??? I know my answer. And thats why I think Tom Carr is wrong.
There are enough footballers in this county to fill a panel for the National League without using our U-21s.If an U-21 then is showing well enough then he can be brought in to the Senior set-up when the U-21 campaign is over. What U-21 player is that irreplaceable that can't be done without for the first few months of the year??? Keating,Givney???
None IMO.
Excellently put. I agree and withdraw my previous comment.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 25, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
The two points that never should have been....totally incompetent ref decides where the silverware went. The ifs and buts of football.

how is the messiah Damien Cassidy getting on these days?
;)