Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

JReilly, KBrady, JMcEnroe, OMinagh, PReilly, AClarke, DO'Reilly, TCorr, GMcKiernan, CMackey, MReilly, KMeehan, NMcDermott, MDunne, DGivney.

So just Padraig Reilly comes in from the team that started v Sligo, Meehan moves to wing forward. Good continuity for the team here and Keating and Barry are nice options to have from the bench. Local derby, anything could happen. Let's hope we get the Meath type performance again.

Itchy

Good luck to the lads tomorrow, 3 derby wins would be fantastic. If we apply ourselves to the best of our abilities we should have enough to win.

mylestheslasher

Very disappointing result for Cavan last night. Although we did play poorly and again made way too many silly mistakes I think the sending off after 7 mins of Damien Reilly was too much for us to overcome. Now the ref was right beside it but I had a decent enough view myself and to me it looked like the Fermanagh player was rugby tackling Reilly and then took a swing with the boot at him as he (fermanagh player) lay on the ground. Reilly was stumbling and stood on his chest - whether that was intentional or not I couldnt say but in fairness the ref was right there. However the ref didnt apply the same strictness to Fermanagh, there was a viscous attempted right hook that didn't make contact, right in front of the ref, which was only a yellow card (I thought that was a straight red). A headbutt on Keating when he came on (again it may not have made contact) which resulted in only a yellow and when Fermanagh finally got their red it was too late. However Owens should get 6 months for what he did, pulling Ronan Flanagan to the ground and after the ref blew for a free he drew a full-force kick at Flanagan who lay on the ground - trampish act. Fermanaghs penalty was another huge turning point. Many in the crowd said that both Reilly and Ward caught the ball so it should have been thrown up but for me Reilly in the goal, caught and dropped the ball into Wards hands and then pulled at it which meant it was a penalty. Anyway, promotion is gone bar some miraculous results but we need a win to be sure to stay up.

Anyway, the league has shown us what we have and don't have and I think the following needs to be ironed out...

Keeper - Millers kick outs were shocking last night, having the midfielders scrambling to get near the ball. He either needs to start working on this or be replaced. His casual attitude with the ball in hand cost us a peno, he played a suicidal hand pass that he was lucky to get away with too. A Fermanagh man fisted a ball over the bar from 1 yard out in the 1st half. Have to say O Mara was missed last night.

Corner backs were badly exposed too. Especially Brady I thought. Hyland needs to answer whether he thinks Brady will improve another 20-30% before the championship.

Keating/Givney - need to decide who plays where and stop f**k acting moving lads around. Givney needs to settle down a bit and start taking the simple options. Too often his brain is working faster than his feet. Get back to the basics David and you'll be an excellent player for us. Keating is our only player with the power and strength to walk through tackles but for me he needs to do it 20 meters from the goal, not out at the 45.

Gearoid - needs to up hie fitness and work rate and improve his tackling. Too many fouls, he'll get himself sent off.

Management - went with the wrong team. Corr should've started. Barry Reilly clearly not fit for a full game so bring him on in 2nd half. Poor assesment of his fitness level. We need to get our forwards take on their man the odd time and maybe get away or draw a foul.

Work rate - first game this year I felt a couple of lads did not put it in to the same level as previous games. Maybe training was tough this week, I don't know but it cost us.

For me, a championship team is shaping up something like this...

O Mara, Minagh, Clarke, McEnroe, McKeever, Clarke, D O Reilly, Corr, McKiernan, Mackey, B Reilly, Givney, Dunne, Keating, J Brady

mylestheslasher

Yes, well done to Paul Brady, a sporting legend. He can retire (if he chooses to) and look back on his career and achievements with great pride.

Where the hell has everyone gone on this thread? BHM, Boojangles etc have gone missing!

warrie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 17, 2013, 09:40:41 AM
Very disappointing result for Cavan last night. Although we did play poorly and again made way too many silly mistakes I think the sending off after 7 mins of Damien Reilly was too much for us to overcome. Now the ref was right beside it but I had a decent enough view myself and to me it looked like the Fermanagh player was rugby tackling Reilly and then took a swing with the boot at him as he (fermanagh player) lay on the ground. Reilly was stumbling and stood on his chest - whether that was intentional or not I couldnt say but in fairness the ref was right there. However the ref didnt apply the same strictness to Fermanagh, there was a viscous attempted right hook that didn't make contact, right in front of the ref, which was only a yellow card (I thought that was a straight red). A headbutt on Keating when he came on (again it may not have made contact) which resulted in only a yellow and when Fermanagh finally got their red it was too late. However Owens should get 6 months for what he did, pulling Ronan Flanagan to the ground and after the ref blew for a free he drew a full-force kick at Flanagan who lay on the ground - trampish act. Fermanaghs penalty was another huge turning point. Many in the crowd said that both Reilly and Ward caught the ball so it should have been thrown up but for me Reilly in the goal, caught and dropped the ball into Wards hands and then pulled at it which meant it was a penalty. Anyway, promotion is gone bar some miraculous results but we need a win to be sure to stay up.

Anyway, the league has shown us what we have and don't have and I think the following needs to be ironed out...

Keeper - Millers kick outs were shocking last night, having the midfielders scrambling to get near the ball. He either needs to start working on this or be replaced. His casual attitude with the ball in hand cost us a peno, he played a suicidal hand pass that he was lucky to get away with too. A Fermanagh man fisted a ball over the bar from 1 yard out in the 1st half. Have to say O Mara was missed last night.

Corner backs were badly exposed too. Especially Brady I thought. Hyland needs to answer whether he thinks Brady will improve another 20-30% before the championship.

Keating/Givney - need to decide who plays where and stop f**k acting moving lads around. Givney needs to settle down a bit and start taking the simple options. Too often his brain is working faster than his feet. Get back to the basics David and you'll be an excellent player for us. Keating is our only player with the power and strength to walk through tackles but for me he needs to do it 20 meters from the goal, not out at the 45.

Gearoid - needs to up hie fitness and work rate and improve his tackling. Too many fouls, he'll get himself sent off.

Management - went with the wrong team. Corr should've started. Barry Reilly clearly not fit for a full game so bring him on in 2nd half. Poor assesment of his fitness level. We need to get our forwards take on their man the odd time and maybe get away or draw a foul.

Work rate - first game this year I felt a couple of lads did not put it in to the same level as previous games. Maybe training was tough this week, I don't know but it cost us.

For me, a championship team is shaping up something like this...

O Mara, Minagh, Clarke, McEnroe, McKeever, Clarke, D O Reilly, Corr, McKiernan, Mackey, B Reilly, Givney, Dunne, Keating, J Brady

O Mara to replace Reilly now that is a good one, I agree Reilly has to go but O Mara cannot even get starting with his club.
Bringing on Flannagan has sent a huge message to the rest of the subs, its okay for Flannagan not to train or play football for several months he will get started before you so why the F**k bother its a waste of time putting in the effort.
Forde a disgrace hyland lack of vision and understanding so many negatives to be seen all over the park it does not bode well for the future.
win two games revert back to the same old crap we are the champions of the world the sooner they realise they are a 5/8 junior team the sooner we will start to remove the trash and bring the level headed young men who have not got their heads up their arse to bring us to the next level.

beer baron

Warrie that's an awful negative post(though i would agree with parts of it) but the bit about heads up there arse which is normally used against Gaels lads(maybe you didn't mean it that way) but Dunne in my opinion was a credit to himself and his club the weekend,worked his socks off and has a great attitude from what i've seen of him.

cogito

Very honest and precise report of the game Myles,  fair play. Always keep an eye on the board, the Cavan one is usually one of most informative and keenly debated boards on the entire site.

I see Warrie has joined and what a positive chap he looks set to be. Any Cavan supporter can see the improvements from last year and beat Meath and Monaghan, the two teams that came down from Division Two so something must be going right. We certainly could have more points but this is a young team and you just have to trust they are learning all the time. Cavan have been competitive in every game this year. Correct me if I am wrong but they have lost two league games, both by two points. That is a far cry from previous years.

I find it hard to believe a fella playing with his county doesn't get playing with his club. I'm sure other posters will have more information on that but no manager would invite a player in to their county panel if there wasn't a legitimate reason. And though a lad hasn't played for months, does not mean he isn't training.

You have called the two men behind your county's revitalisation at underage level a disgrace and said they are lacking in vision. I'd suggest looking in the mirror on those two fronts.

Itchy

Not sure what is going on in Bailieboro but O Mara hasn't been involved with them this year or last year. Maybe there has been a falling out but I think the implication warrie makes is wrong, i.e. he's not good enough to make the team. Bailieboros other Keeper Gilsenan transferred to Killinkere too and he was on the bench for Cavan on Saturday. All is not well in  bailieboro but that doesn't mean O Mara can't be on the county panel in my opinion.

warrie

Quote from: cogito on March 18, 2013, 12:13:27 PM
Very honest and precise report of the game Myles,  fair play. Always keep an eye on the board, the Cavan one is usually one of most informative and keenly debated boards on the entire site.

I see Warrie has joined and what a positive chap he looks set to be. Any Cavan supporter can see the improvements from last year and beat Meath and Monaghan, the two teams that came down from Division Two so something must be going right. We certainly could have more points but this is a young team and you just have to trust they are learning all the time. Cavan have been competitive in every game this year. Correct me if I am wrong but they have lost two league games, both by two points. That is a far cry from previous years.

I find it hard to believe a fella playing with his county doesn't get playing with his club. I'm sure other posters will have more information on that but no manager would invite a player in to their county panel if there wasn't a legitimate reason. And though a lad hasn't played for months, does not mean he isn't training.

You have called the two men behind your county's revitalisation at underage level a disgrace and said they are lacking in vision. I'd suggest looking in the mirror on those two fronts.

I have been a member for a long time now but its sole destroying reading what one perceives to be positive improvements. Yes some for sure it goes without question but too many carriers on this panel time to extradite them and concentrate on the young lads and if it it takes 5 years to make men and players out of them with a vision and disciplined it will be five years well wort waiting for.
I was at the match also and I saw how easy it was for Fermanagh to play up the right wing and one could say 90% of their scores came from this route was there any effort to stop it no sadly no effort from management to make changes, Forde would have been far better off doing his job as the runner instead of remonstrating with the ref and officials he sadly needs to be spoken too. Was he playing to the stand thinking this is what we want or is it just that he has no control of his emotions ??
I can understand the frustration tactics that came from Fermanagh but Cavan fell for it hook line and sinker. The job of the players is to play football not to try and ref it as well.

Itchy

With respect Warrie you are a member since august 12 but why write your first post today? Why not after good wins against Monaghan and Meath? I agree with you about Forde, he needs to calm down. He was going mad the whole match! You need to remember too that fermanagh had an extra man, it may not have been the cause of all their overlaps but it was for some. No point over reacting to this loss.

warrie

August 12 2012 and I see you are since October 2012 ?? The fact I make a post now is my choice but it would seem if its not to you & others liking one is being negative or against Cavan so I will move on.

Westside

Everyone seems to be almost over looking the fact that we played 65 odd minutes with 14 men. That is a massive massive disadvantage in what was always going to be a closely fought game. Did we play well? No. Could the result of this game have been different had we kept 15 players on the field? Quite possibly.

The naysayers are out again despite the fact that this is just the second loss, we have lads over on HS calling for Terry's head!! Crazy stuff. We finally seem to have rid ourselves of the "X Y and Z should be on the panel and then we'd get promotion" yet we are still stuck with the fools who turn on the management and the players after a defeat, no matter what the manner of the defeat. We have been very competitive this year, no sign of the hammerings we received against Wexford and Antrim last year. We need to sharpen up our game in defence and the lads need to be spoken to about their discipline, you cannot afford to be playing games a man down. We are on the right track.

Anyone care to hazard a guess at the U21 team that will start on Wed night?

rodney trotter

Fermanagh deserved the win. It was a big ask for Cavan after losing Damian Reilly after 7 minutes, sometimes it can spur a team on being down a player , probaly would have needed a goal, The goal at the end came too late. Cavan never created any goal chances unfortunately.

Only a 2 point defeat like the Antrim game, Cavan have been competitive in all the games.

Hopefully the u21's can do the business on Wednesday.

Itchy

Quote from: warrie on March 18, 2013, 01:50:48 PM
August 12 2012 and I see you are since October 2012 ?? The fact I make a post now is my choice but it would seem if its not to you & others liking one is being negative or against Cavan so I will move on.
No one asked u to move on bud, don't be so sensitive.