26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

five points

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 04:47:39 PM
Quote from: five points on February 05, 2020, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 02:36:01 PM

How do you fathom out every private sector tenant is kicked onto the street?

Where will they go if the rent isn't paid?

Do you generally answer questions with other questions?

OK. I can easily rephrase it into a statement.

You're assuming that landlords would keep tenants in situ even if the State stops paying or financing the rent. 

Bear in mind that a good portion of the landlords will have mortgage repayments to meet, and may not be in a position to afford to be so generous, even if they would like to.

I would expect this to end in a large volume of evictions. I can only assume that you do too. If you see another happier outcome, do let us know.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2020, 04:46:16 PM
As the cliche goes "they're playin senior hurling now" and its Championship not League so it's tough and intense.
Anyway when the dust has settled what's the likely outcome in seats?
I'll guess at
FF 50
SF 28
FG 27
Greens10
Labour 8
SDP 3
Loony  left 4
The rest 30

That senior hurling analogy is a load of bollox. If you think throwing shite at people from the agencies of the state and supposedly impartial media is acceptable then you will get the muppets you deserve as TDs in Roscommon and as far as I can see you have got exactly that in the past.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2020, 05:05:39 PM
That senior hurling analogy is a load of bollox. If you think throwing shite at people from the agencies of the state and supposedly impartial media is acceptable then you will get the muppets you deserve as TDs in Roscommon and as far as I can see you have got exactly that in the past.

Irish media has never, ever been impartial. I presume your reference to "agencies of the state" is to RTE. They have never been impartial either and this is why there should be no compulsory TV licence.

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2020, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2020, 04:46:16 PM
As the cliche goes "they're playin senior hurling now" and its Championship not League so it's tough and intense.
Anyway when the dust has settled what's the likely outcome in seats?
I'll guess at
FF 50
SF 28
FG 27
Greens10
Labour 8
SDP 3
Loony  left 4
The rest 30

Dry up yer tears buckeen.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2020, 01:31:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 01:21:29 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2020, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2020, 12:20:12 PM

The reason it's out of control is because supply is way below demand

The reason its out of control is that wealthy individuals and vulture funds are the only ones with the capital to buy properties.

But who owns the property has no impact on the market rent for that property. When demand outstrips supply, rents rise

It impacts rents when there are no controls and regulation on it. When residential properties are in the hands of private investors then that is when the rental market can fly out of control as it has done.

The ownership of a property doesn't impact the rent that can be charged for it, it's a relatively simple supply/demand relationship.

The bit in bold has always been the case in this country but we've only had a rental crisis in the last 5-6 years.

Of course it impacts it.

We're in a rental crisis and the private landlords are hiking up rental prices and forcing people onto the breadline, because they can. There needs to be legislation prohibiting people from owning multiple properties and at the very least rigidly capping what can be charged?

What are the landlords going to do otherwise, let it sit there and gather dust? The ownership of property needs to be focused away from private investors.

They're hiking it up because they can, because demand exceeds supply (as someone mentioned, higher density is one option to improve supply)

Your suggestion that most private rented accommodation be taken into public ownership is ludicrous, what would that even cost just to CPO those properties? And it wouldn't deliver a single additional unit

Rossfan

Quote from: five points on February 05, 2020, 04:59:09 PM

You're assuming that landlords would keep tenants in situ even if the State stops paying or financing the rent. 

Bear in mind that a good portion of the landlords will have mortgage repayments to meet, and may not be in a position to afford to be so generous, even if they would like to.

I would expect this to end in a large volume of evictions. I can only assume that you do too. If you see another happier outcome, do let us know.
€400m would build 1600 social houses.
I read somewhere there are 18,000 tenants in receipt of HAP.
16,400 renaining wouldn't be able to pay the current private rentals and would be turfed out.
Then they go to their local Council who will have to find them emergency accommodation.....
Sone hope of that with 10,000 or so already in the emergency accommodation.
And if they somehow did find some how much would that cost in a year?
I'd say more than €400m.

Angelo

What would the landlords do with their houses? Let them sit there and gather dust? If landlords have repayments to meet the maybe they should sell off their second homes?

I think putting 400m a year into the pockets of private landlords and allowing a rental market to spiral out of control has been a scandalous policy decision from Fine Gael. This benefits landlords which is fine by FF FG as a housing crisis and an out of control rental market is of great economic benefit to private landlords. The state has facilitated the rental market getting out of control.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 05:50:16 PM

What would the landlords do with their houses?

Evict the non-paying tenants and re-let to paying tenants.  End of story.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on February 05, 2020, 06:15:51 PM

So what difference does that make? Tenants out, tenants in
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2020, 06:17:42 PM
Quote from: five points on February 05, 2020, 06:15:51 PM

So what difference does that make? Tenants out, tenants in

The current occupiers of private social housing would have nowhere to go.

Sportacus

Discussion about how to prepare for a new Ireland very much absent in the RTE debate.  Not even SF could weave it in.  The only mentions of the North were about the dirty war and high levels of homelessness.  Being included didn't give SF any further bounce in my opinion. Might actually hurt them as the old doubts won't go away.  And they hadn't costed one of their manifesto commitments, think it was in electric car infrastructure, never a good look.

Rossfan

Conor Murphy has apologised to the Quinn family.
Tipp election may be going ahead Saturday after all as AG about to report  to Government that it can legally proceed.

marty34

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 05, 2020, 11:23:09 AM
shock horror, the establishment and there national media lapdogs are trying to smear the new kid in the playground. The Quinn family will feel justified to bring it up now when opinion suggests SF are on the cusp but as snap says the West Brit control freaks won't give a toss for the Quinn case in a weeks time. Lost a lot of respect for Miriam O Callaghan last night, seem intent on badgering Mc Donald at every turn and constantly talking over her. Hope the southern electorate see all this for what it is and vote accordingly.

Is her brother not a FF candidate in this election?

It wouldn't happen in any other country.  Imagine that happening anywhere else a few days out from an election.

armaghniac

Quote from: Sportacus on February 05, 2020, 06:25:55 PM
Discussion about how to prepare for a new Ireland very much absent in the RTE debate.  Not even SF could weave it in.  The only mentions of the North were about the dirty war and high levels of homelessness.  Being included didn't give SF any further bounce in my opinion. Might actually hurt them as the old doubts won't go away.  And they hadn't costed one of their manifesto commitments, think it was in electric car infrastructure, never a good look.

Mary-Lou hadn't a clue about the electric car costing, but finding would be "massive". More seriously perhaps, Martin asked where the €400m was to come for local government given that the Shinners wanted to abolish the property tax, no answer was provided.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2020, 02:09:36 PM
Colum Eastwood has now raised the Quinn case in the House of Commons and got some muddled reply from Boris Johnson about justice for veterans. I don't think the DUP have commented yet but if they also call on Conor Murphy to resign it could well put the Stormont institutions back under threat again.

Is this the Colum 'I'll stop Brexit, if elected' Eastwood????