Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

totally agree the football comes first, but having worked with the teams for a lot of years i know the talent in hurling is there. Antrim are potentionally a geat team in Hurling with the right direction the could compete, is that a moot point?

Syd The Sailor

How long have we been saying "potentially" the hurlers are in Antrim to make a breakthrough? Put it like this, on the Cork hurling team there is maybe 1 or 2 of them that would take a drink and those that do cut it completely before championship starts. Would we be able to do that in Antrim? can you imagine Cork or Kilkenny arriving 40 minutes late for a challenge match, as we did last week against Laois? I would love for us to compete but we are light years behind the Corks, Kilkennys of this world.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

milltown row

yeah your right big drink culture in Antrim, you only have to go to the BOT on a wed, Sat. night and all the best players are there. it's up to the current mangement to change that but the attitudes of the players need changing, if Woody and Sambo bring what they did with the minors in three years we should hopefully be competing for honours.

i was there as an 18 year watching Sambo and Woody play for Antrim against Tipp.  casement was packed for training sessions that sort of thing needs to come back. i will be there in Galway this Sunday (could have picked a better game) to see if this is a team on the way up.

will give a good report come tuesday,

Syd The Sailor

I hope the minors do come through but historically there is never more than about 4 or 5 that keep at it to that level, especially when they discover the joys of drink. I thought it would be a totally different setup from before but from what i have heard about last week it was a bit of a joke. I was never Jingos biggest fan and believe he took some unfair criticism about players behaviour, but its difficult for a manager to account for every player when they are away. He trated them as adults (which they are supposed to be) and left them to their own devices the night before away matches down south but fellas were sneaking away to the pub and arriving in at 3am blocked. So that needs to be one of the first things nipped in the bud. In fairness Jingo didnt do himself any favours when he then played the pissed players instead of putting them off the panel. End of rant!

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on February 16, 2007, 12:42:33 PM
yeah your right big drink culture in Antrim, you only have to go to the BOT on a wed, Sat. night and all the best players are there. it's up to the current mangement to change that but the attitudes of the players need changing,

And we all wonder how the people in question can train all year long and still look so unfit  :-\, and even so we hold them up as "class acts" and "rolel models" within our county and others. I do think a national strategy needs to be introduced to ensure that every club has within its structures the ability to address this very important issue. There is nothing worse than seeing talent being pisssed up against a wall....yet the seems to be an acceptability about it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnjoe

Admit I`m more of a football man, but would know both Dominic and Terence well, and would like to wish them all the best for Sunday and hope this is the start of a "new revolution" in Antrim hurling.Think it is very important that we all see this as the start of a three or four year journey that will at least bring us into view of the promised land.

There will be upsets along the way, and maybe times when we all wonder if its going to be possible, but the ONLY chance we have is if we all get behind Woody and Sambo from the start, and give them both all the support and facilities that are available.

I have total faith in these two men to get every ounce out of the best players in the county, BUT IT IS A PROCESS, and will take time. Lets be honest, our strength lies in the 17-20 age group, and it will be at least 3 or 4 years to bulk these players up so that they can physically mix it with the best. Being a good wee hurler wont count for much against the pent up Clares and Kilkennys of this world.

Good luck to all involved. BELIEVE it IS possible.

BottleOfStout

I think you are right Johnjo, we need to be patient with the Antrim team.  Although the minor did not actually win a game of any major significance at least they were competitive.  Hopefully in 2 or 3 years time the seniors will also do the same as the young lads are integrated with the more experience players

Syd The Sailor

MilltownRow....What is happening at St Galls, has there been some sort of fallout over what division the reserve hurling team is entering. There seems to be some strong views on it on your website, a bit of a football/hurling divide. Maybe thats not accurate but hopefully you can fill us in.

Arthur_Friend

Syd the Sailor, you are a sad poof. You sound like an ignorant culchie. Heh?

Syd The Sailor

Arthur you dirty ****. What gives you the right to come on heRE and abuse people? We are trying to deal with the burning issues of Antrim hurling, like what kind of beer the boys were drinking in Galway last night in preparation for todays match. Its boys like you that we need to weed out of this forum,fuckin backpacker.......

The Truth

Arthur Friend, why dont you come on here and give Jumbo and the boys a bit of support for todays game instead of talking shite. You are probably the kind of fella that has never lifted a stick before but have an opinion on everything. Stick dis in your mouth f**got........
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

Arthur_Friend

Syd the sailor and the Truth, abuse indeed! Tsk tsk, yous don't like the taste of your own medicine.  I will be, of couse, flying down to watch the match in my helicopter while you will prob be out worrying sheep or whatever is is you get your kicks from. Wherever Antrim go, my helicopter follows, thats the rule for me. Are you as dedicated? I think not.  And of course, I will be wishing SAMBO and the boys all the best before the match. Yous are no true Antrim fans by the sounds of things.

Gut to you man!

Syd The Sailor

Arthur, its a surface to air missile that your helicopter needs. I have been supporting Antrim in their darkest days, im not a johnny cum lately like you. I think Sambo should change his nickname, (there may be copyright issues though) as we are trying to stamp racism out of our society, unless you are an Ulster rugby fan......

Gold

what the f**k went wrong with antrim today?

stuffed again

in my opinion too many of the players are not athletic enough--they are carrying too much weight

if u look at the killkennys and corks of this world almost all their players are superb athletes
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syd The Sailor

Gold....Our boys just dont have the discipline or commitment to live with the Kilkennys/Corks. On last years Cork team there was about 2/3 of them that actually drank. Could we say the same? Our players/management have to realise that matches are not won by talking & endless soundbites in the papers but on the training and playing pitch.....