Derry Minor Hurlers

Started by Antrim Coaster, February 25, 2008, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Tonesfirstandlast your attitude is appalling.  Like Daisy says it's hardly the footballers money is it?

Powers that be should step in. It is weak and little wonder that realistically only about 3 teams can win the hurling all ireland.

If Derry gave hurling the time and effort it deserved then there could be ulster club hurling titles at least in some of the clubs, they could win the christy ring easily and they could compete with antrim for the ulster.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 06, 2008, 11:55:31 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 06, 2008, 11:08:23 AM
Completely agree with youlads and as Pull Hard says, the powers that be at the top end of the GAA dont want to know or address this situation , in spite of a supposed active campaign to put more resources into and improve hurling in weaker counties - head-in-the sand approach is scandalous and saddening.

go and do the work yourselves and stop looking for handouts from the footballers. Pay your own way.

I think that Kevin Lynch's have proven they and manyothers in hurling can and will pay their own way by setting up their own grounds and the club draw (feel free to buy a ticket from me) to build the clubhouse.

The money handed down from the GAA HQ is GAA money, not tobe attributed to either football or hurling.

I am a lover of both codes, and being a person with a desire for equality and equal rights (due to my co Derry heritage when seeing the lack of it) I expect nothing less than this - with impartiality- from our Top table.
Its a pity that the Derry county board cant follow suit.
OK I know there are more Football clubs in Derry so football should get more, but this money and resources is not even divied up in a pro-rata format.
:(

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

This is nonsense about go and get your own money in reference to hurling. Reality is that the GAA allocates 30000 euro every year for hurling development squads in Derry - do the hurlers get that money????? Also what about the hurley and helmet subsidy provided from Croke Park in the region  of £10000 for Derry hurling which is meant to be allocated to the clubs to support the buying of equipment - I wonder are the hurling clubs getting all that as well.

You will find that hurling people will do whatever it takes to raise the money to keep their game going as they love it too much to let it die but what we won't accept is hurling money being siphoned off to support football projects and this being swept under the carpet at CB level.

There are two codes within the auspices of the GAA but unfortunately blinkered idiots like tonesfirstandlast can only see their own code, I'm sure the Irish patriot from which you derive your club name would be so proud of you,not!

plain and simple

i think bar our friend from the tones, most are agreed that the County Board in Derry is treating hurling terribly and unfairly. Examples are as follows

-treatment of Minor team as well documented and also of the senior team
-derogatory comments made by our county chairman about allocating money to the senior team last year (overheard after Kildare game last year)
-removal of hurling dedicated coaching role within county set up
-no encouragement or proper strategy to increase the number of clubs playing the game in Derry (this happens in Donegal, Tyrone etc)
-recently advertised posts for gaelic games officers will most certainly go a footballing coach.
-censorship on official website
-playing championship games in November/December

The list could go on and on and i'm sure other people here could add to this. maybe this stuff should all be brought to press- but i'm the mr mc cloy would somehow censor that also.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 06, 2008, 11:55:31 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 06, 2008, 11:08:23 AM
Completely agree with youlads and as Pull Hard says, the powers that be at the top end of the GAA dont want to know or address this situation , in spite of a supposed active campaign to put more resources into and improve hurling in weaker counties - head-in-the sand approach is scandalous and saddening.

go and do the work yourselves and stop looking for handouts from the footballers. Pay your own way.
The points I was making about money are that the gaa at the top level has an agenda to maximise cash, if they're not prepared to help out in situations like this, what's the point??  It shouldn't be a money issue and maybe McCloy should realise that this is not a business.

the green man

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 06, 2008, 09:04:03 PM
The points I was making about money are that the gaa at the top level has an agenda to maximise cash, if they're not prepared to help out in situations like this, what's the point??  It shouldn't be a money issue and maybe McCloy should realise that this is not a business.
[/quote]

Therein lies the problem. Since Seamus has assumed the chairmanship, he has tried to run it as a business, when in fact it is not. I was involved with the development squads a few years ago, and he only  thould them because the county got E60,0000 from Croke Park for them. Not that we seen any of it.

Another lie, was last years minor footballers when club derry asked for 200 knicker a man for a minor fund. The players got 30 pound each from that. The management team got nothing. What would 30 pound buy ye now? If I rember correctly there were 2000 men signed up to that. So you do the figures.

scalder

-treatment of Minor team as well documented and also of the senior team
-derogatory comments made by our county chairman about allocating money to the senior team last year (overheard after Kildare game last year)
-removal of hurling dedicated coaching role within county set up
-no encouragement or proper strategy to increase the number of clubs playing the game in Derry (this happens in Donegal, Tyrone etc)
-recently advertised posts for gaelic games officers will most certainly go a footballing coach.
-censorship on official website
-playing championship games in November/December

Shocking stuff lads, wheres the the GPA boys when you need them? This stuff needs the brought to the attention of the media, to Paudie Butler as Director of hurling and to Nicky Brennan. HQ funding needs to be auditied ensuuring that money earmakred for hurling goes to hurling.

neilthemac

there are four codes in the GAA

handball, rounders, hurling and football

the first three are native to Ireland for hundreds of years. the last one was invented in the last 1800's

TBT

Quote from: neilthemac on March 07, 2008, 07:28:33 PM
there are four codes in the GAA

handball, rounders, hurling and football

the first three are native to Ireland for hundreds of years. the last one was invented in the last 1800's
Im no lover of gaelic football but I do think it can have some claim to have been evolved from caid.

Blacksheep

The attitude towards hurling of some on the County Board is nothing less than a disgrace. They really do see it as a hindrance to making progress in football. 2 years ago they tried to kill the ulster league by fixing football matches for the Saturday evenings when it was on. Thank God it didn't work because i think we need it more than Antrim or Down do.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

tonesfirstandlast

I see that in the Derry did well in their game aginst Down. ;D. Pity the managers didn't stay away. ;D. I don't a polo shirt would make much difference to that team ;D ;D

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 13, 2008, 10:10:19 AM
I see that in the Derry did well in their game aginst Down. ;D. Pity the managers didn't stay away. ;D. I don't a polo shirt would make much difference to that team ;D ;D

Tones, you might want another attempt at that.  I'm sure you've missed out a couple of words.
I'm also pretty sure that the posters on this thread have 2 words for you.....
In your Endo!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on March 13, 2008, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 13, 2008, 10:10:19 AM

Tones, you might want another attempt at that.  I'm sure you've missed out a couple of words.
I'm also pretty sure that the posters on this thread have 2 words for you.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D class :D :D :D :D

glenullinabu

Quote from: Blacksheep on March 08, 2008, 09:55:08 PM
The attitude towards hurling of some on the County Board is nothing less than a disgrace. They really do see it as a hindrance to making progress in football. 2 years ago they tried to kill the ulster league by fixing football matches for the Saturday evenings when it was on. Thank God it didn't work because i think we need it more than Antrim or Down do.

the ulster league is the way forward, expecially in hurling
fair play to brian mcgilligan for having the balls to say what he thinks

scalder

More bad news from Derry!

McGrellis fumes at Derry fixture pile-up
21 May 2008

Derry minor hurling manager Danny McGrellis is fuming with the Ulster GAA Council as he looks likely to be without three key players if his side defeat Donegal this weekend in the Ulster MHC, for a meeting with Antrim on June 1.

Darryl McDermott, Mark McCormick and Benny Herron will all line-out for the Derry minor football team in Ballybofey on June 1, which has forced McGrellis to call for his side's game to be rescheduled.

The former county star seethed about the issue, stating: "It wouldn't happen to any other county.

"In what other county in Ireland are the senior hurlers and footballers and minor hurlers and footballers asked to play on the same say at a different venue?" he asked.

The Banagher clubman insists that if his side get past Donegal at the weekend, they will need the entire contingent to put it up to provincial championship Antrim.

"It would be hard enough for us to beat Antrim, but it will be even harder without those three players. It's like asking the county footballers to do without Barry Gillis, Fergal Doherty and Paddy Bradley."

However it looks unlikely as the Ulster Council refuses to budge on the issue and chairman Danny Murphy says the date, fixed late last year, must stand.

"The game was originally scheduled last November, and Antrim could not concede to the request to change the date, so the original date has to stand," said Murphy.