Down Championship Predictions Competition

Started by Bacon, July 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

I have heard several times now that the Sexton will be missing tomorrow night as they are attending a wedding in Germany, anyone confirm this?

thewobbler

Heard this a number of times myself Spirit. You could even say that I've been helping to spread the rumour.

It's a delicate situation for the pair of them.

Even more delicate for Mayobridge, as by all accounts, the Sextons have been their outstanding performers this season. Going on league evidence, it could even see Mickey Linden being brought in for a start.

The best team always wins the replay though, don't they?

If anyone was at the Saval vs Downpatrick game, post a quick report please. I hear Hoops were without a couple of their main players, but won the game through their midfield presence.

southdown

Wobbler, what exactly is the delicate situation?  Is it a member of their family getting married?

Anyway, the favourite nearly always comes out on top in replays.

Cloc Mor

Downpatrick probably shaded this very poor encounter, like the second game, littered with mistakes and poor decision making which cost Saval the game.  Saval had more than enough chances to win the game but with wides well into double figures, this was never going to happen.  A particularly bad miss from Stephen Sands, when inside the wee square, was crucial in the end.  The introduction of Gregory Deegan 10 mins before half time and Gerard 10 minutes after swung the game in the Hoops favour.  Gregory looked very cool on the ball and marked county 'star' Danny Hughes out of it.  Interesting that Gregory is apparently only back in training 2 weeks and he plays like this.  Gerard on the other had won some vital ball and set up some great attacks - Saval just couldn't deal with him.  Any indiscressions were punished by Karl Oakes.

Peter Turley came on with a strapping on his knee and after competing for his first ball in the air, came down hard.  He hobbled about for 5 minutes and was replaced.  If the man wasn't fit, why did he play.  This Saval team looked a shadow of the team that has led the 2nd Division all year.  Few leaders and a very inept display in Hilltown for the second year in a row (Drumgath beat them last year). 

Still alot of football to be played this year and it will be interesting how they respond to this defeat.  JP O'Kane has a big job on his hands to lift the former favourites for the Intermediate Championship.

thewobbler

Cheers for the report Cloc Mor.

I had the misfortune of chasing Gregory Deegan around in the PRFC when he just got back from injury 2 seasons ago, and wouldn't wish it upon anyone...although watching 5 of my teammates struggle in turn equally badly during the second half did make me feel a whole lot better!

Cloc Mor

Dont worry wobbler, I was in the same boat myself several times.  Nightmare

boscomo

boys here are y semi final predictions 
senior-b,ford v mayobridge.. mayobride after a tight match 3points to spare

longstone v burren....... fancied burren the whole way but the stone are on a roll so have to sway for longstone

Int.  ballyholland v ballymartin..... the harps have been my prediction so no change here

darragh cross v downpatrick.... mmmmmmmmmmm tight one to call if the cross can play to their full welt they will have a chance but for experience at this level i opt for downpatrick  2 points to spare

Junior   bosco v st micheals ...... probably the hardest game for my wee team to date, the armagh men have a good pedigree in the junior ch. but the newry boys have all players available and playing on a big pitch should shade this one ...... 3 points to spare

drumaness v st johns.......... drums are a lot of peoples favouites to lift the cup this year but st.johns are on a high after their 1/4 final win over bright but think the div 4 leaders will win it in the end with 5-6 to spare

if in doubt eat it

Colonel Cool

Looking back at those who predicted all 8 adlut championships, I don't think there's anyone who can get all 8 right. Kilcoo knocked out a couple in the football, Liatroim, Ballycran & Ballela's defeats in the hurling knocked most of the rest.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

the milkman

Junior   bosco v st Michaels ...... probably the hardest game for my wee team to date, the armagh men have a good pedigree in the junior ch. but the newry boys have all players available and playing on a big pitch should shade this one ...... 3 points to spare

Were you calling them armagh boys when their county minor helped Down win the All Ireland Minor Champ. is 2005? and what about next year if B.Sweeney gets a run out in the national league? and look at a map and seen where the county border lies yo while clearly see that Margheralin is well inside Down!

boscomo

milkman just adding a wee bit of humour and sportsmanship on the board, dont have the time to start looking at maps today and indeed i am not the 1st person on this site to mention armagh and st. micheals in the same sentence, my full appologies to you and all concerned and it would be great to see another 3rd div player make it on the county panal.

if in doubt eat it

the milkman

thank you boscomo, is match on Saturday 8th or Sunday 9th?

Should be a good game

boscomo

milkman me old plum its on the saturday with a 3.30pm throw in , it should be a good match, we have had some good battles with st.micheals over the years and this will be no different and as i say its always great to see players from the lower divs getting a chance and hopefully a few of our players will make that step up in the next few seasons
if in doubt eat it

boscomo

guys what dates are pencilled in for county final day
if in doubt eat it

Lecale2

SHC Semi Finals this weekend.

Saturday 8th September
In Kilclief:
5pm Democrat Media SHC Semi-final
Ballycran v Down Juniors E Morgan

Sunday 9th September
In Ballycran:
3.30pm Democrat Media SHC Semi-final
Ballygalget v Portaferry H Torney

Ballycran will beat the Juniors on Saturday although Paddy Braniff has high hopes of a shock from his team. They won the Leinster Sheild earlier this year but haven't played together since and Ballycran will be a step up in standard.

Sunday's game will be very tight as usual with no more than a couple of pucks of the ball between them. Ballygalget were missing a couple last year and lost out by 5 points in a close game. Portaferry are missing McGrattan and Braniff from last year while Galgets should be at full strenght. I go for Ballygalget to win by a 2-3 points.

Aristotle Flynn

Are there reserve football championship matches this weekend? I missed the paper yesterday.

SHC Semi Finals
Ballycran v Down Juniors - Ballycran by 15 points. Have the Juniors had any training sessions together? It will probably be a case of who turns up again.

Ballygalget v Portaferry - Hard to call. Looking at Antrim and Ulster League results Ballygalget appear to have the edge. I'm going to st on the fence and predict a draw. Ports to win the replay against the run of play.

When is the IHC final? I take it it will be in Portaferry given that it's Ballcran v Ballygalget?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.