The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 28, 2019, 11:14:25 AM
In fairness Top 10 ranking doesn't mean a lot compared to soccer. There is only a handful of Rugby playing countries. It's good to see teams like Japan emerge. They don't play boring kick rugby, very slick with the hands.

What would Irelands rank be based on World Cup results alone?

Solo_run

In fairness Top 10 ranking doesn't mean a lot compared to soccer. There is only a handful of Rugby playing countries. It's good to see teams like Japan emerge. They don't play boring kick rugby, very slick with the hands.

Japan and Scotland are 1 or 2 places apart in the world rankings.

Last week Ireland looked clinical, sharp and controlled. While we won comfortably, it required the best to get the job done.

A week later, play a weakened team against similar level of
Opposiition. Things ok for 20 minutes. Next 60 minutes Ireland are dominated all over the field. Bland, predictable rugby and underestimating of the opposition. Adding to this, it was against home opposition.

Against England it was clear as day that a second/third choice players cannot cope.

gallsman

I think part of the problem is that the grouping of countries as "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" is misleading. The top Tier 2 teams like Fiji and Japan are much closer to tier 1 nations (the absolute elite aside) than they are to the other Tier 2 nations. Kind of like where Argentina were 20 years ago.

Solo_run

Quote from: An Watcher on September 28, 2019, 11:22:13 AM
If the Scots beat the Japanese can we still win the group?

The most likely scenario is that Scotland will have to beat Japan by 8/9 points.

If Japan don't get a bonus point against Samoa  then they only have to lose to Scotland.

All of this is assuming Ireland get bonus point wins against Samoa and Russia.

Solo_run

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2019, 11:25:25 AM
I think part of the problem is that the grouping of countries as "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" is misleading. The top Tier 2 teams like Fiji and Japan are much closer to tier 1 nations (the absolute elite aside) than they are to the other Tier 2 nations. Kind of like where Argentina were 20 years ago.

Look at it now

You have Australia, France, Japan, SA currently ranked as tier 2 nations.

Scotland, Argentina, Fiji and Georgia are in the 3rd tier.

Based on rankings after this weekend Ireland could become a tier 2 team again.

Hardy

I shuddered when I heard Schmidt say before the game that they'd tried hard not to underestimate Japan, or words to that effect. In fairness it was in response to a question about underestimating Japan but that always betrays a dangerous mindset. Why would he even be thinking that?

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on September 28, 2019, 11:13:16 AM
Quote from: Boycey on September 28, 2019, 10:54:58 AM
There are a lot of yis quite happy they were beaten, strange lot..

Really? I haven't read one part expressing happiness or pleasure with the result.

"Beaten by a load of fat lads in nappies - smiley face"

Most of it is more subtle but a definite lightness in the air that they've been put back in their place so to speak.....

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Solo_run on September 28, 2019, 11:24:09 AM

Last week Ireland looked clinical, sharp and controlled. While we won comfortably, it required the best to get the job done.

Opposiition. Things ok for 20 minutes. Next 60 minutes Ireland are dominated all over the field. Bland, predictable rugby and underestimating of the opposition. Adding to this, it was against home opposition.

Against England it was clear as day that a second/third choice players cannot cope.

I think a lot went for Japan today, but Fortune Favours the Brave.
The worrying thing is how Ireland's heads drop if it is put up to them.
They don't try and make their own luck.
A year ago, as someone mentioned, they just ran over the top of teams.
Another thing, when they won the Grand Slam and beat the All Blacks, Stockdale was scoring a try a game.
How many times did he receive the ball today?
One of the best wing players in the world, and he never gets the ball, never mind in an attacking position.
Compare to how many times Earls gets the ball and you'd have to question the gameplan.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

tintin25

I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland beat Japan handy enough.  Consistency the problem for Japan, they were hammered by Scotland following the SA win in 2015.

Solo_run

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 28, 2019, 11:45:16 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on September 28, 2019, 11:24:09 AM

I think a lot went for Japan today, but Fortune Favours the Brave.
The worrying thing is how Ireland's heads drop if it is put up to them.
They don't try and make their own luck.
A year ago, as someone mentioned, they just ran over the top of teams.
Another thing, when they won the Grand Slam and beat the All Blacks, Stockdale was scoring a try a game.
How many times did he receive the ball today?
One of the best wing players in the world, and he never gets the ball, never mind in an attacking position.
Compare to how many times Earls gets the ball and you'd have to question the gameplan.

No offence to Stockdale but he had one good season and since then he hasn't been that great. He has put on weight by the look of him and because of that he has arguably lost a bit of pace.

However you could also question the kicks they received today. We played our third choice kicker whose performance was up and down. We use tactics where the kicker controls the game, he did it on and off but not enough.

I'm not sure about Kearney anymore, I haven't had confidence in him for a while. Seems like he has been working on his tan though.

Main Street

Yes, Japan are only 3 points ahead in the table now.

weareros

Samoa have still to be beaten. If we play like this again, we could also lose that and be on way home.

t_mac

Quote from: Main Street on September 28, 2019, 12:56:21 PM
Yes, Japan are only 3 points ahead in the table now.

Who would have guessed, Ireland choke at a world cup, the irony is on the wireless they were questioning should they not have rested key players, I presume the thinking being it was a training game.  ::)

Main Street

Quote from: weareros on September 28, 2019, 01:14:36 PM
Samoa have still to be beaten. If we play like this again, we could also lose that and be on way home.
The question is if scotland beat Japan, can  Ireland finish first?  the answer is yes. And thats the most likely outcome, even considering the other possible outcomes.

Itchy

There is something poetic to ireland being beaten by a Japan team with only 7 Japanese players.