Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: mup on October 25, 2017, 09:09:48 AM
As a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I think his powers of judgement are in question. How would he react if he suspected impropriety involving a good friend who's a team manager or selector? One would hope he has learned his lesson and frankly, being involved in the GAA all his life he should have already known this.

Declan

QuoteAs a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't have a problem

Keyser soze

Is he still involved with the GPA at a high level?

longballin

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on October 24, 2017, 04:55:25 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2017, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 24, 2017, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 24, 2017, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 24, 2017, 03:06:15 PM
Apparently the judge took into account his "high profile", implying that the fall from such a position could be considered part of his punishment (I wonder how does that work for a car thief with drug problems?).

Also took into account references from Walsh and Cusack and from his family.

Shameful really, he is serving two sentences concurrently, they should be consecutive.
He came from a respectable family
That counts for a lot under the system.
Also, he had a difficult upbringing works well too.

The sentence is similar to what others like him have been given. If the victim was younger, for example, it would have been more severe.
It should hopefully open up a debate about what are the appropriate sanctions for these crimes.

I'd expect him to shunned for the rest of his days by any community he lives in here in Ireland.
It wouldn't surprise me if he emigrated.

He may run but he can't hide. He will be limited to where he is able to go and this will follow him everywhere. He'll never work in journalism again

Disgusting case and not close to being long enough a sentence!

If he emigrates could he not work for a newspaper under a pseudonym?

Talk Cusack was getting him to ghostwrite his column for the Examiner recently and the one he had on gaa.ie a couple of years ago. Of course that little shithead has gone to ground and refuses to answer any o these queries that are being put to him. Putting out his "statement" at 11pm on a Saturday evening after all the Sunday papers had gone to press is as cynical as it gets. Not the actions of a contrite man.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Quote from: longballin on October 25, 2017, 09:54:47 AM
Ewan McKenna has highlighted Harte case involving a reference for sex attacker...  is there similarity?
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/womans-fury-as-sex-attacker-given-reference-by-gaa-boss-harte-is-jailed-for-twoandahalf-years-29102469.html

Is there another source other that the belfast telegraph......I don't want to click into their rag. 

longballin

seafoid

That article from the journal is excellent. Dunphy was on TV 3 last night and said he was misled. Walsh and Cusack probably were too. The public reaction to the case has been very strong as well. Humphries really left a clusterfuck behind. The Indo is loving taking lumps out of the Irish Times.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on October 25, 2017, 10:48:15 AM
That article from the journal is excellent. Dunphy was on TV 3 last night and said he was misled. Walsh and Cusack probably were too. The public reaction to the case has been very strong as well. Humphries really left a clusterfuck behind. The Indo is loving taking lumps out of the Irish Times.

The Irish Independent currently employs a columnist who is happy to brand somebody on Twitter "a ferocious nonce and pedo" (sic).

That columnist is Ian O'Doherty.

They also employ George Hook, who is happy to throw around generalised victim blaming in regard to rape.

They really don't have very much high moral ground to stand on.

screenexile

Quote from: Declan on October 25, 2017, 09:24:34 AM
QuoteAs a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't have a problem

He made an error of judgment in writing a letter to support his friend. It was a mistake but I don't think he needs to be excommunicated for it!

theskull1

When were the character references written? Finding it difficult to understand what way these media savvy sorts could allow themselves to be misled. Also haven't seen Walsh and D Og using that excuse although I might have missed that
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: theskull1 on October 25, 2017, 11:08:35 AM

When were the character references written? Finding it difficult to understand what way these media savvy sorts could allow themselves to be misled. Also haven't seen Walsh and D Og using that excuse although I might have missed that

Character references were written after the guilty plea last March and before the sentence hearing at the start of this month.

Walsh and D Og have said f**k all apart from a couple of mealy mouthed statements. Any attributes to them being misled have come from others who claim they were misled. For example, Dunphy on TV3 last night said he went to visit Humphries in St. Pat's as he was misled about the case by someone who, in turn, he believed was misled by Humphries. When pressed by Matt Cooper who this someone was, Dunphy said that he believes that David Walsh was misled.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

T Fearon

If you are convicted of a serious crime,and one you plead guilty to,character references should have no bearing whatsoever.

Itchy

Quote from: mup on October 25, 2017, 09:09:48 AM
As a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't be happy but I would stop short of running him out of a club, at best has shown a poor level of judgement and worst he is being loyal to a child abuser because he helped him out previously in a business arrangement. That being said I don't trust anyone with my kids in that I will not allow a situation to develop where my child is on their own with an adult at any time. I would advise all parents to do the same and all clubs to ensure such a thing never happens. Thats a far more preventative measure than Vetting ever will be.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 25, 2017, 11:27:13 AM
If you are convicted of a serious crime,and one you plead guilty to,character references should have no bearing whatsoever.
Judas is unfairly scapegoated by the church given that somebody had to do it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU