Are they dumping Nuclear Waste in Newry?

Started by Denn Forever, February 06, 2019, 01:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

Not just Newry.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/northern-ireland-sub-region-3

They've highlighted an area around Omagh and Cooktown, with a gold mine which would be a good place.  Yes.... sounds like Greencastle to me. So not just cyanide from the Canadians, but now nuclear waste from the English.
Testing Accessibility

Insane Bolt

Kilkeel would be suitable 😜 The arrogance of these fckrs never ceases to amaze me.

lurganblue

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 06, 2019, 02:30:17 PM
Kilkeel would be suitable 😜 The arrogance of these fckrs never ceases to amaze me.

There's enough mutants in that area already.

weareros

First they dump Orangemen on us; now Nuclear Waste.

trailer

Does this explain the cross-eyed, slack jawed locals in South Armagh? I had put it down millennia of inbreeding myself.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 04:48:38 PM
Does this explain the cross-eyed, slack jawed locals in South Armagh? I had put it down millennia of inbreeding myself.

Ironically they can't get anywhere with this as it would need approval from Stormont. For once a positive to the place not running.

RadioGAAGAA

Well, I'd need to see more information on how they intend to construct the sites, how they intend to store the material and how they intend to safeguard it... as well as the incentives given to the locals for having it in their region.

Blindly saying "no" without even trying to understand the what does nothing for my opinion of Chris Hazzard and Colin McGrath. Neither are educated in the area so neither are qualified to blindly reject the concept.

For instance, *if* it is low level waste that will release less radiation than Radon naturally releases within the Mournes area, and *it* comes with a £100m a year boost into the local economy, is it not then worth at least *considering*?

i usse an speelchekor

dec

The location of Maghera in the east of county Down puzzled me at first but apparently there is one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maghera,_County_Down

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on February 06, 2019, 02:41:41 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 06, 2019, 02:30:17 PM

There's enough mutants in that area already.

;D ;D ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on February 06, 2019, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 04:48:38 PM

Ironically they can't get anywhere with this as it would need approval from Stormont. For once a positive to the place not running.

Yep. Thought that myself.

MoChara

"the project requires the approval of the devolved administration, as well as those living near a potential site."

Who in their right mind would provide approval for the dumping of Nuclear waste near your own house? Not minding the health and environmental risks but it'll also affect your house price, do they get a cash handout for it or what?

ziggysego

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 06, 2019, 04:57:33 PM
Well, I'd need to see more information on how they intend to construct the sites, how they intend to store the material and how they intend to safeguard it... as well as the incentives given to the locals for having it in their region.

Blindly saying "no" without even trying to understand the what does nothing for my opinion of Chris Hazzard and Colin McGrath. Neither are educated in the area so neither are qualified to blindly reject the concept.

For instance, *if* it is low level waste that will release less radiation than Radon naturally releases within the Mournes area, and *it* comes with a £100m a year boost into the local economy, is it not then worth at least *considering*?

In Greencastle, they have huge gold mine and they want to bury cyanide in it. The UK have said that this is a perfect place to bury their toxic waste.

As for policing it. The PSNI were policing it, but Dalradian didn't pay them. So now they have external "protectors" in.
Testing Accessibility

RadioGAAGAA

Unfortunately, there is ample evidence private companies will always forego safety for profits.

We see that even now over in England with that fracking company. Leaving aside the dangers in movement meaning there could be leaks into previously uncontaminated groundwater, the bigger immediate issue is that none (or very few) buildings have been constructed with sizeable earthquakes in mind. Simply put; allowing them to "work away" while producing sizeable quakes could very easily result in the collapse of buildings with multiple lives lost.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 06, 2019, 04:57:33 PM

This is radiation you're talking about here.

You expect some reasoned, informed discussion and honest consideration of risk?