Las Vegas Shooting

Started by TabClear, October 02, 2017, 07:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2017, 07:22:38 AM
Things have to get to a state of chaos in the US before there is change. Slavery resulted in civil war Jim Crow ended in riots across the country.  Plutocracy ended in negative ream interest rates and WW2.

I can't see this changing anytime soon.
Pretty much all of New Orleans had their guns taken from them after katrina. Which was only possible in those circumstances of martial law. There's no way that could happen in a city without a crisis. If the cops tried to do it they'd end up with a Waco in every city.

The horse has bolted. They are armed to the teeth and are staying that way.
These weapons are no good in Africa or other restless places as they are expensive and hard to maintain. There has to be a market for them especially as the military are constantly upgrading. No point in storing them or destroying them when there's is a market there.

seafoid

Trump refused to mention guns.  Just evil. Huckabee said now is not the time. The US has multiple converging crises.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2017, 04:32:57 PM
Trump refused to mention guns.  Just evil. Huckabee said now is not the time. The US has multiple converging crises.

One wonders if it would have been the time to discuss policy and politics had Ahmed Mohammed been the name of the shooter and not Stephen Paddock?

vallankumous

Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2017, 04:48:04 PM

One wonders if it would have been the time to discuss policy and politics had Ahmed Mohammed been the name of the shooter and not Stephen Paddock?

It's a bit foolish I think. Next week he will be saying what he's supposed to say now so I see no point in delaying it. He might as well get on with defending gun laws and ride the storm.
Perhaps he hasn't a clue what to say and hasn't had the time to rehearse.

Even if he called for tighter gun laws and did nothing about it, it would be better for him.

Rossfan

Quote from: J70 on October 03, 2017, 04:48:04 PM

Will all white "Christians" with Anglo Saxon type names be now banned from entering the US or will those already there be depopted back to England?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

93-DY-SAM

Now never appears to be the right time. I don't think there ever would be a right time. As an outsider looking in I really can't understand the mentality that anyone can have an issue with trying to have some kind of sensible control over guns. America's worst enemy is itself. There will never be a way to eradicate gun crime or one humans desire to kill another by whatever means but surely it should be made as difficult as possible for people to do this.

seafoid

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 03, 2017, 05:41:22 PM

Now never appears to be the right time. I don't think there ever would be a right time. As an outsider looking in I really can't understand the mentality that anyone can have an issue with trying to have some kind of sensible control over guns. America's worst enemy is itself. There will never be a way to eradicate gun crime or one humans desire to kill another by whatever means but surely it should be made as difficult as possible for people to do this.
11000 people so far this year.
I think American kids are 80 or 90 times more likely to die of gunshot wounds than European kids. That is abhorrent.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2017, 06:07:08 PM

I think American kids are 80 or 90 times more likely to die of gunshot wounds than European kids. That is abhorrent.

You do realise that many of the murders in the US occur in inner cities, where the likes of you and I (or our kids)wouldn't dare to go day or night?  The murder rate in a normal middle class town would be higher than in Ireland but not by a multiple of 80 or 90.   Theres a hell of a lot less crime where I live in that States than the town I grew up in Ireland

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on October 03, 2017, 06:16:08 PM

You do realise that many of the murders in the US occur in inner cities, where the likes of you and I (or our kids)wouldn't dare to go day or night?  The murder rate in a normal middle class town would be higher than in Ireland but not by a multiple of 80 or 90.   Theres a hell of a lot less crime where I live in that States than the town I grew up in Ireland

How many kids in Claremorris die of gunshot wounds in a typical year?
Even if the majority of deaths are in inner cities why does the US have such structural poverty?

easytiger95

Oh that is ok then. As long as it is just happening there and where the likes of you or I don't have to worry about it.

Rossfan

He was careful to avoid saying it's just a load of blacks killing each other ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 03, 2017, 06:30:58 PM

Oh that is ok then. As long as it is just happening there and where the likes of you or I don't have to worry about it.

Who ever said that...it's tragic wherever it happens. 

He made a claim that a child in the States is 80 or 90 times more likely to die from a gunshot than a kid in Europe. Im simply pointing out that because many murders occur in very specific areas, outside of those areas, the gun murder rates would not be disimilar to what you'd find in similar size towns in Ireland. They would be hgher, but not by a multiple of 80 or 90

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2017, 06:23:17 PM

How many kids in Claremorris die of gunshot wounds in a typical year?
Even if the majority of deaths are in inner cities why does the US have such structural poverty?

Same number that have died of gunshot wounds in my town and the surrounding towns in living memory....zero.

JimStynes

Quote from: whitey on October 03, 2017, 06:40:05 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 03, 2017, 06:30:58 PM

Who ever said that...it's tragic wherever it happens. 

He made a claim that a child in the States is 80 or 90 times more likely to die from a gunshot than a kid in Europe. Im simply pointing out that because many murders occur in very specific areas, outside of those areas, the gun murder rates would not be disimilar to what you'd find in similar size towns in Ireland. They would be hgher, but not by a multiple of 80 or 90

I would assume it would be a right bit higher!