The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: EC Unique on July 25, 2011, 11:36:21 AM
Quote from: ross matt on July 25, 2011, 11:30:54 AM
Brolly always sneers disrespectfully at teams he wants to criticise rather than offer something constructive. Controversial for the sake of it is as boring as bland soundbite type analysis. He is a Spillane mini me. Himself, Spillane and O'Rourke should be sent out the pasture instead of them taking tax payer money with bar room slaggin as the basis for their preparation and delivery.

Davis wiped the floor with Brolly last night. Yes it was parish pump politics on Davis's point but when Brolly was on the recieving end he got flustered and kept changing the point... constantly referring to Cork no beating Kerry in Croker as if its breaking news. He completely ignored Davis's argument that the Cork half backs have scored more than any other half backline in the last few years.

Would be interesting to find out if this is true. I always thought Tyrone would head this tally.

thats what i though aswell.
this was davis's big ace card in his arguement, but he offered no facts whatso ever to back it up, brolly couldnt argue with him as he had no idea wether he was right or not!

dunno how anyone could say davis 'wiped the floor' with brolly, for me he just came across as someone defending thier own with no real basis for his counter arguement.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

highorlow

If I want to see a Guard and a Lawyer have a row on a Sunday night I'll head to my local pub.

TV3 should start a Sunday Game type show say on a Monday evening to compete with these cretons. Mickey Harte is right not to bother talking to them.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

hurling_lad

If Tony Davis had got himself a bit better informed, he could have pointed out that the last time that Brolly's beloved Tyrone scored as much in a championship match as Cork did on Saturday (i.e. 2-20/26 points) was over six years ago (June '05 vs. Cavan in a replay).

snippets

Brolly is controversial lads, but bluffer or not hes great value and does everything with a humoured wit rarely portrayed  and understood in the GAA.    Outside Colm O Rourke hes the only guy worth listening to.  Colm may well be the only true non bluffer in the Sunday game set up.  Why oh why cant we have a seperate hurling and football programme though.  The football crowd must suffer through the hurling when its like watching scor to them.       
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

ballinaman

Quote from: snippets on July 25, 2011, 12:50:39 PM
Brolly is controversial lads, but bluffer or not hes great value and does everything with a humoured wit rarely portrayed  and understood in the GAA.    Outside Colm O Rourke hes the only guy worth listening to.  Colm may well be the only true non bluffer in the Sunday game set up.  Why oh why cant we have a seperate hurling and football programme though.  The football crowd must suffer through the hurling when its like watching scor to them.     
I disagree with every point you make there.

bloodybreakball

here here magpie seanie, i have to say i like brolly, i havent seen last nights sunday game yet but i think the vast majority of people would have to recognise that brolly is fairly / very (delete depending on your opinion) insightful about tactics. I go out of my way to read his stuff in the irish mail and the gaelic life and in the last few weeks I believe that he has become more controversial and before last night it must have been 3 maybe 4 weeks since he was last on, so maybe he was tyring to keep aome air in his own profile balloon (not exactly sure what this is but you get my point!!). i thik lads tbh that, although its hard when its your own county if there is some objectivity than there is a fair bit of truth in his anlysis. i think he's bang on about cork, and kildare, if kildare are that strong, how the hell did they not beat a very questionable dublin team

Offalylad

Quote from: snippets on July 25, 2011, 12:50:39 PM

I disagree big time there.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: clarshack on July 25, 2011, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2011, 10:38:57 AM
See here is the crux of GAA analysis. Do we want the bland Sky Sports style analysis which illuminates only the most ill-informed? Or do we want the truth, the facts laid bare even if it is hurtful to players who are "amateur"? Personally, I lean towards the latter, just. I think the criticisms in this case were justified largely and not over the top. Des Cahill showed he is a goon and Tony Davis did his best impression of parish pump politics.

As for the laughing during the Limerick point/wide debate Brolly was just laughing at the stupidity of Davis' argument. "The ref was sure it was a point" - is that why he ran in and consulted the umpires?

It was the best Sunday Game in ages!

would agree with that.

It doesn't have to be either/or fellas. You can constructively criticize without being an asshole about it. It's really not that hard.

snippets

Listen we have to sit through all the hurling games for a draw for football time after time.  I love hurling but Im a Tyrone man and I want my football draw, which is placed after the hurling despite the fact it has limited relevance to the supporters, If you think that its for anyone but RTE s interests then you are delusive.  As for opening debate on seperate promotion of hurling and football on TV then thats what I would love to do.  Undoubtedly hurling needs to find its own place as its dying on its feet in all but a few counties.  I think it could be marketed in different ways from football and it suffers from being put alongside it.   On another point Look we knew there was to be 4 games in Croke Park next week, could we not have talked to the guards before the draw.     
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

PAULD123

Davis wiped the floor with Brolly last night. Yes it was parish pump politics on Davis's point but when Brolly was on the recieving end he got flustered and kept changing the point... constantly referring to Cork no beating Kerry in Croker as if its breaking news. He completely ignored Davis's argument that the Cork half backs have scored more than any other half backline in the last few years.

No he did not. If you try to win an argument by quoting a made up fact that only wins because it can't be verified on the spot you just look like a spoofer when later it is shown you were talking crap. Davis confidently tried to act smarter than Brolly by claiming Cork half backs have scored more in the last few championships than any other team. An arrogant little declaration based on no fact at all except a desire for it to be true.

In "the last few championships" since 2008 Cork defence has scored 35 points of which 32 came from half backs. I have no time to check every team but I do know about my own. In the same period Down defence has scored 61 points, of which I believe 56 came from half backs. And we did that in 21 games to Cork's 23.

Like I said I have no idea how many Kerry, Tyrone or Armagh (A. Kernan please stand up!!) may have scored. But this just shows all Davis is a spoofer, making statements and crossing his fingers.

Brolly is a wind-up merchant and I am far from defending him, but Davis is a tool, looked like a childish tool and spoke like a childish tool. No floor wiping there!

AQMP

Quote from: snippets on July 25, 2011, 01:29:29 PM
Listen we have to sit through all the hurling games for a draw for football time after time.  I love hurling but Im a Tyrone man and I want my football draw, which is placed after the hurling despite the fact it has limited relevance to the supporters, If you think that its for anyone but RTE s interests then you are delusive.  As for opening debate on seperate promotion of hurling and football on TV then thats what I would love to do.  Undoubtedly hurling needs to find its own place as its dying on its feet in all but a few counties.  I think it could be marketed in different ways from football and it suffers from being put alongside it.   On another point Look we knew there was to be 4 games in Croke Park next week, could we not have talked to the guards before the draw.     

Here's a tip, don't watch the hurling and switch on the telly just before the draw is made.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 25, 2011, 11:24:16 AM
See here is the crux of GAA analysis. Do we want the bland Sky Sports style analysis which illuminates only the most ill-informed? Or do we want the truth, the facts laid bare even if it is hurtful to players who are "amateur"? Personally, I lean towards the latter, just. I think the criticisms in this case were justified largely and not over the top. Des Cahill showed he is a goon and Tony Davis did his best impression of parish pump politics.

As for the laughing during the Limerick point/wide debate Brolly was just laughing at the stupidity of Davis' argument. "The ref was sure it was a point" - is that why he ran in and consulted the umpires?

Expect we're not getting much analysis from Brolly just rhetoric without much substance besides the obvious, it's certainly not insightful or indeed intelligent. I mean his attack on Cork, saying they had no skill, really? What does that say about the rest of the country? 

It's entertaining like Dunphy and stirs debate but I just find The Sunday Game has gone very very stale, you just don't learn anything from it.
He didn't really say that, his main point was that Cork have two excellent inside forwards who are under utilised because the half backs and midfield too often take the wrong options and don't pass.

Louth Exile

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 25, 2011, 01:11:46 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 25, 2011, 10:43:46 AM

would agree with that.

It doesn't have to be either/or fellas. You can constructively criticize without being an asshole about it. It's really not that hard.

I would agree with Seanie also, I thought it certainly made for great television.

With some contributors feeling that Davis performed well in his debate against Brolly I watched it back on the player. I really can't see how anyone thought that Davis performed well "I do like that they play 15 against 15" (so what, they are still boring to watch!) "I played half back and if I went upfield I'd be roared at by John Kerins to get back" (ancient history, zero relevance to the role of the half back in the modern game, plus, if he had charged forward, how in the name of god would he hear his goalie in packed Paircaigh Caoimh/Croke Park/Killarney!!) "John Miskella has scored loads" (not a single stat to back up his assertion).

Brolly is and always has been extremely arrogant and makes no apologies for who he insults. However, having read the full article from the gaelic life column, there is very little in it that he has got wrong!

Just to pick up on his point in relation to Graham Canty, he is absolutely spot on. How this man has won three all stars still amazes me and for my mind he is the single most over rated player in recent memory. His performances throughout 07 were poor (including being destroyed against Louth) yet he is picked at full back. Probably even worst was his selection last year, when Mc Kiernan was clearly the stand out No 6 of championship. I have a theory in this regard, there is clearly a lack of quality "old style" full backs throughout the inter county scene over the last number of years. So when big lumps like Canty or Kevin Reilly come along, who fit the stereotype of what a full back should have been in years gone by, the media commentators latch on to them and build them up to be something that they simply are not.

As for Davis..... without any shadow of a doubt the single worst panelist that the Sunday Game have on their rotation and it baffles me everytime that he is on as to how they can justify spending licence payers money on employing him. He offers no meaningful insight into the analysis of any game and is frequently just plain wrong!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 25, 2011, 01:53:35 PM

No he did not. If you try to win an argument by quoting a made up fact that only wins because it can't be verified on the spot you just look like a spoofer when later it is shown you were talking crap. Davis confidently tried to act smarter than Brolly by claiming Cork half backs have scored more in the last few championships than any other team. An arrogant little declaration based on no fact at all except a desire for it to be true.

In "the last few championships" since 2008 Cork defence has scored 35 points of which 32 came from half backs. I have no time to check every team but I do know about my own. In the same period Down defence has scored 61 points, of which I believe 56 came from half backs. And we did that in 21 games to Cork's 23.

Like I said I have no idea how many Kerry, Tyrone or Armagh (A. Kernan please stand up!!) may have scored. But this just shows all Davis is a spoofer, making statements and crossing his fingers.

Brolly is a wind-up merchant and I am far from defending him, but Davis is a tool, looked like a childish tool and spoke like a childish tool. No floor wiping there!

Good stuff Paul. It's hard to beat facts in any debate.

Davis is a spoofer, floundering out of his depth. Brolly is an entertaining spoofer with occasional insights, and a rereshingly untraditional approach by comparison to the standard "I suppose, Marty" mealy mouthedness.

ross matt

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 25, 2011, 01:53:35 PM

The point Davis was making was that Cork half backs and midfield have regularly scored when they went forward where Brolly had feebly being trying to claim this area was a weakness in the Cork side. Brolly was spluttering then about his newspaper article being "out of context" when Davis labelled it insulting or whatever. Brolly then started the "ah come on now Tony" whinging when Davis unloaded on him. He got his ass handed to him and by Davis who is normally repetitive and bland but got some bottle once he saw his former team had been dissed by sniggering Joe. If Brolly had booze on board as some seem to suspect then rather than it being an excuse its a terrible reflection on his professionalism. Plenty of floor wiping there.