Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Next season may provide us with the answers - I'm tempted to agree with you - boys like Mulligan, HUB,Jordan, Mc Menamin etc all seemed to underperform this year - they looked tired and unfit - especially Mulligan and Jordan ( compared to 2005 )

longball

Quote from: orangeman on September 27, 2007, 04:45:35 PM
Next season may provide us with the answers - I'm tempted to agree with you - boys like Mulligan, HUB,Jordan, Mc Menamin etc all seemed to underperform this year - they looked tired and unfit - especially Mulligan and Jordan ( compared to 2005 )

do u reckon MH needs to change his backroom staff? i mean the team was very fit in 2003 Under Paddy Tally, a great coach, but have failed to hit that level since, in 2005 they played 10 championship games which really brought on their fitness and sharpness levels, does anone else think this? who is tyrones coaches anyway? sorta lost track after the tally era!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

oneillcup2007

Lads you will not get a man fit who chooses not to do the personalised training program and sups the night away.  If however the personal training program points that out then the trainer needs chased.

orangeman

Supping ? As in having a skinful ?

oneillcup2007

Absolutely.  Tyrone need to bring back the athletic into GAA.  Too many slouches. 

TyronePhilly

Quote from: longball on September 27, 2007, 04:49:52 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 27, 2007, 04:45:35 PM

do u reckon MH needs to change his backroom staff? i mean the team was very fit in 2003 Under Paddy Tally, a great coach, but have failed to hit that level since, in 2005 they played 10 championship games which really brought on their fitness and sharpness levels, does anone else think this? who is tyrones coaches anyway? sorta lost track after the tally era!

Not looking to offend the current crop of coaches and backroom staff....however

I agree 100%....as I posted there a month or so ago - I was watching the match against Kerry in 2003, the Semi-Final, Tyrone were tenacious! The fitness level was immense. I remember Tyrone walking off the pitch, trading jerseys etc. and some of them had still to put on their traded jerseys or had taken off their own----these men were chiseled---it looked as if they were cut from blocks of stone. Some of these same panelists are shadows of their form in 2003 to be honest.

Harte has done a terrific job with Tyrone at both Senior and Underage Levels, however, he may need to step away for a moment and reassess the situation. Look at the performance these men gave in 2003/early 2004.....does he still see the same? McGuigan is a huge loss; McAnallen, God rest him; Canavan has moved on-----I still think we have the talent to win a couple more All-Irelands.

Conor Gormley may be one of the best backs some of us will see in our day. Sean Cavanagh has one of the greatest engines in the game with awareness/brains to burn. How many times have we seen Sean in close and he fists the ball over the bar whereas many others would be looking to bust the net from impossible angles, get blocked and then get caught out with too many men deep and the other team marches down the field for a point. I would like to see McMenamin inserted into the halfback line for the McKenna Cup. We need to find two answers for midfield and free up S Cavanagh as an attacking midfielder/half forward.

If this man was running at defences left, right, and center---believe me, alot of our problems up front would disappear...this man can find space better than NASA!

I think if you tried some of the following upfront for the McKenna Cup/National League...we would soon find out where we are:

Possible Half-Forwards
Sean Cavanagh
Colm Cavanagh-----(if not being tried in midfield)
Raymie Mulgrew
Tommy McGuigan
Ryan Mellon
Mickey Murphy
Marty McCreesh

(of course Dooher will be recovering from operation...and should be given ample recovery time)

Possible Full-Forwards
Niall P McGinn
Aidan Cassidy
Owen Mulligan
Niall Gormley
Ronan Ward
Colm McCullagh
Eoin McCusker
Daisy McDermott

(of course O'Neill will be recovering from operation...and should be given ample recovery time)

oneillcup2007

Best post of the day.  Conor Gormley if he loses a bit of weight can be one of the best of his generation. 

orangeman

First of all you need hunger - if there's no hunger, you can train all you like -
So concentrate on the hunger - do we have the appetite ? If we do great, but if not, we need to weed out those who aren't and replace them with the new kids on the block. We have to reinvent ourselves in order to succeed.

After you get the heads right, then you can start on the body !

TyronePhilly

Also...would like to see the following men in the backs.....

Ciaran McAleer
Colm McGurk
Damian McCaul
Dermot Carlin
Ryan McMenamin
Conor Gormley
Joe McMahon
Philip Jordan
David Harte
Martin Swift
Enda McGinley
Colm McElholm
Dean O'Neill
Paul Marlowe

probably missed a couple

Tyrone Dreamer

Oneil Cup 2007 in relation to that the Monaghan game that you referred to was that not the one were Cavlan was Tyrone's best player so bit unfair to single him out for being dropped. He's a year older now and it would take a great effort on his part to be part of the plans next year. Im sure he still has the capability to be a great impact sub but not sure if he has the hunger. Maybe Mugsy should take a complete break from football for 3-6 months to try and regain his hunger (although he need to stay in decent shape). On another point Im not sure how you can rule out Colm Cavanagh. He was excellent in McKenna Cup v Derry and against Dubs under the lights and has the height and ability. He is also onlly 19/20 and with a years county experience behind him could improve considerably in the next year or 2.

oneillcup2007

would not rule Cavangh out II would condsider the replacement of Cavanagh with cavanagh jnr and move sean to wing half forward.  But i wouild want an ignorant hallion alongside him. 

orangeman

Are there any suitably ignorant hallions out there ?

orangeman

But they need to be able to play a bit too, don't they ?

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on September 28, 2007, 09:24:52 AM
But they need to be able to play a bit too, don't they ?

Exactly - and players like that dont grow an trees. Still think Hub is the best bet Tyrone have from this point of view, he was just lacking a bit of sharpness (but then so was the vast majoity of them) and form this season. He is definitely worth his place on the panel in my opinion.

oneillcup2007

Boys even last years form isnt good enough if the player is out of form this year.  According to some on here playing well in 2003 or 2005 merits you a place in the squad.  That is akin to saying Errigal and Carmen are still to be feared despite being virtually unrecognisable from their great teams of the past.