Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

What age is Plunkett O'Kane for Coalisland. It was the 1st time Ive noticed him play yesterday and was impressive. Is he worth a go?

Tyrone Dreamer

Or is it Plunkett Kane?

tyroneboi

Plunkett Kane he is about 22 or so - good player but not sure if he is county material. He was never an outstanding youth player and has only really made the breakthrough for the fianna in the past 2 years or so. But you never know he could make the step up if he progresses the way he had been doing.

Tyrone Dreamer

Here's a list of players not on the county panel this year that could be considered for trials next year:
Shane Sweeney (Aghyaran)
Niall McGinn (Donaghmore)
Seamus Mulgrew (Donaghmore)
Jarelth Quinn (Pomeroy)
Enda Clarke? (Greencastle)
John Gilmore (Cookstown)
Marty Murray (Cookstown)
Paddy Quinn (Derrylaughen)
Philip Toner (Coalisland)
Plunkett Kane (Coalisland)
Paddy O'Farrell (Coalisland)
Niall Kerr (Coalisland)
McNice (Coalisland)
Mark Cunningham (Kileeshil)
McCreash (Rock)
Kieran McCrory (Galbally)
Paul Marlow (Eskra)
Fabien O'Neill?? (Dromore)
Cathal McCarron (Dromore)
John McConville (Ardboe)
Declan McCrossan (Owen Roes)
McVeigh (Killyman)
Des Treacy (Kildress)
Ronan Ward (Loughmacrory)
Some of the guys have been tried before such as Jarleth Quinn and Seamus Mulgrew but are showing better form at times this year than when they were on the county panel. A few others I know little about and am going on match reports etc. There's a also a few like Cunningham who Im saying based on underage performances a few years ago. Anyone got any other genuine possibilities?

ONeill

Too many players either not good enough on that list, or simply past it in terms of inter-county football. Seamus Mulgrew will be 33 next year and we saw his best in 2003 whilst a bit-part player for Tyrone. We know what Sweeney can (and cannot) do and I don't think he's any better than what we have. Jarleth and Paddy Quinn won't count. McCrossan is over the wrong side of the hill. McConville - you must be joking.

How's Paul Marlowe coming along?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2007, 09:25:44 PM
Too many players either not good enough on that list, or simply past it in terms of inter-county football. Seamus Mulgrew will be 33 next year and we saw his best in 2003 whilst a bit-part player for Tyrone. We know what Sweeney can (and cannot) do and I don't think he's any better than what we have. Jarleth and Paddy Quinn won't count. McCrossan is over the wrong side of the hill. McConville - you must be joking.

How's Paul Marlowe coming along?

I think declan could still do a job for tyrone. Albeit wing back isnt somewhere we are stuck for players. Did richard thornton show enough in the semi final to warrant another go?

oakleafgael

Quote from: ONeill on September 25, 2007, 09:25:44 PM
Too many players either not good enough on that list, or simply past it in terms of inter-county football. Seamus Mulgrew will be 33 next year and we saw his best in 2003 whilst a bit-part player for Tyrone. We know what Sweeney can (and cannot) do and I don't think he's any better than what we have. Jarleth and Paddy Quinn won't count.

I now see more Tyrone club football than Derry and there are a few mentioned who could fit into the panel.

Sweeney was under rated in my opinion and would be a good addition as he can play in both defensive lines. I think there is a bad need for a midfielder to either partner Sean or replace him any let him play as a 3rd midfielder where he wouldnt be wasted tracking back. The liked of Jarlath Quinn would be worth a go. I thought he was very quickly cast aside after one bad half off football against Tohill who was at the top of his game that day.

McGinn would be an option for next year but would have to give 100% and quit the ground football. He needs experience though as I thought he stopped showing for the ball when the going got tough against the island. I was quite impressed with the Trillick lad who played in the Ulster championship before getting injured, cant remember his name, and would give him a run in preference to McGinn in the League.

McCarron from Dromore could be the man for the problem at the back and would be worth a 2/3 game run in the league in preference to Marlow who should be left to regain his full fitness, dont think he has quite been the same since his injury.

Just my thoughts from an outsiders perspective.

P.S. Thought Donnelly ruled the roost in the second half at the weekend but he is short of the one thing required for intercounty football and thats pace, especially for the style of football M.H. likes to play. An honest type of player but just a wee bit short of it.

Tyrone Dreamer

Fair point O'Neill on Mulgrew - didnt realise he was that old. Didnt rate Jarelth Quinn when playing for Tyrone but he does seem to offer the physical presence we need in midfield but you could be right. I dont agree with you on Sweeney. He was still relatively young in 05' and did a fairly good marking job on Stevie McDonnell in the ulster final. I thought he had the potential to come on to be a top class corner/wing back. Saw him playing this year in the championship and he was 1 of the best players on the pitch. In relation to McConville I wouldnt be convinced either but was going by what others have said. Dont think Thornton would make it at county level now just a bit short of that level.

Big Mickey

too many players on taht list that just arent good enuf and never will be, not a big fan of kerr, just dont think he has the pace or wokrrate for intercounty football,lets face it,he's just another gavin devlin which we definitley dont need. murray and gilmore worth a luk for sure,gr8 talents that must be nurtured. mc carron for full back is good but wud love to see him up against a good strong fast pacey full forward,think he mite get caught out, still rate big mcelholm  (once he's back from inury) as the best full back in the county without a shadow of doubt.pj quinn is a shoe in aswell. midfield is still a problem,dont think there is ne1 in the county good enuf,mayb justy mc mahon but need sum1 to sacrifice themselves and allow cavanagh to bomb forward and play his own game,ne1 out there that matches that description?????apply to mickey harte

orangeman

We had an outstanding crop of players between 2003 and 2005 - simply outstanding - most of the players on this list wouldn't get near the 17 or 18 players that formed the backbone of these teams -
At the minute we have too many gaps to fill - principally full back  - then we need two tight marking corner backs - half back line is as good as there is out there - need another midfielder and a coule of forwards - oh and most importantly - the conductor of the orchestra - The Maestro Mc Guigan !

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 25, 2007, 10:25:32 PM

McGinn would be an option for next year but would have to give 100% and quit the ground football. He needs experience though as I thought he stopped showing for the ball when the going got tough against the island. I was quite impressed with the Trillick lad who played in the Ulster championship before getting injured, cant remember his name, and would give him a run in preference to McGinn in the League.

Fair analysis oakleafgael, and that would be Niall Gormley you're referring to there, and would agree that he deserves a full run out.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

longball

Tyrone 2008

1. Curran
2. PJ Quinn
3. C Gormley
4. D McCaul
5. Ricey
6. E McGinely/Jordan
7. D Harte
8. Justin McMahon
9. C Cavanagh
10. S Cavanagh
11. R Mulgrew
12. R Mellon
13. Daisy McDermott
14. Mugsy
15. N Gormley

16. J Devine
17. P Marlow
18. S Sweeny
19. P Donnelly
20. Kalvin Hughes/ Phillip Toner
21. M Murphy
22. A Cassidy
23. Joe McMahon
24. N McGinn
25. K McCrory
26. T McGuigan
27. Enda Clarke
28. Paul Quinn
29. M Murray
30. Cormac McGinley

this means no room for
B Dooher
S O'Neill- he would be on it but has long term injury and think this year will be a no go for him
P Rouse
A McCarron
M Penrose- though i thnk he never got a fair crack never got a run of games
M Magee

who id like to see get a chance/ another chance
Fran Loughran
Frank McGuigan Jnr
Ryan McCallion
Martin Hughes
J Gilmore

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

orangeman

Frank Mc Guigan has been outstanding for Ardboe for the past number of years and is a class act but didn't fit into MH's plans.

Brian Mc Guigan seems very upbeat and looks like he could well make a return next year.

Wee Roddy

There are a serious amount of names lads, yet onlt Conor Gormley warants a mention from Carrickmore. Not to be sounded patriotic etc but Carrickmore have not been beat since April when Clonoe beat them in the championship. It is a run of 16 games undeafeated. Surely there are a few that warrent trials or to get a run in a McKenna cup? Or am I looking with the rose tinted bifocals.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Wee Roddy on September 26, 2007, 12:59:52 PM
There are a serious amount of names lads, yet onlt Conor Gormley warants a mention from Carrickmore. Not to be sounded patriotic etc but Carrickmore have not been beat since April when Clonoe beat them in the championship. It is a run of 16 games undeafeated. Surely there are a few that warrent trials or to get a run in a McKenna cup? Or am I looking with the rose tinted bifocals.

No I think you are dead right there wee roddy. For me Carmen are the best team in the county and as we have discussed (on this thread I think!) before Colm McGurk, wee Dan and Gaby McCallin are in my opinion all worth a go. Also whats the story with Mark Donnelly - a few years ago he looked to have plenty of potential.

Quote from: orangeman on September 26, 2007, 12:47:41 PM
Frank Mc Guigan has been outstanding for Ardboe for the past number of years and is a class act but didn't fit into MH's plans.

Brian Mc Guigan seems very upbeat and looks like he could well make a return next year.

On the Frank issue - fantastic club player been one of the top club forwards in Tyrone for the last 10 years. Dont know if he is suited to county football and would much rather have him excelling for Ardboe than warming the Tyrone bench.

As for Brian - hope he makes a recovery but hope he doesnt put himself under any pressure in rusing comeback, I would rather see everyone let him be and make his own mid up if he wants to come back and then do so when he is ready.