Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

And the blurb that accompanies that Teamtalk e-mail:

Three new faces in Tyrone panel

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has included 21 All-Ireland medallists, and just three newcomers, in an experienced 32-man squad for the 2008 national football league, which will get underway on Saturday evening against Kildare in Healy Park.

Three of the nine new players who were called up in December for January's McKenna Cup campaign have earned their places in the manager's league panel, which officially came together for the first time on Sunday evening in Kelly's Inn.  Killyclogher defender Martin Swift and Dromore duo, Cathal McCarron and Shaun O'Neill, all of whom have claimed 'Teamtalk' Tyrone All-Star awards in the last couple of years, are the trio named who weren't part of last summer's championship squad, while Moortown's PJ Quinn is also listed as a national league panellist for the first time after receiving his county call-up during last summer's championship run.
Only five members of the new NFL panel have yet to make their league debuts for Tyrone. As well as the aforementioned quartet of Swift, McCarron, O'Neill and Quinn, Coalisland goalkeeper Johnny Curran is also awaiting his league introduction despite being part of the squad for the full duration of 2007.

Among the players who aren't in the manager's plans for the 2008 league programme are ten members of last year's provincial-winning squad, including recent McKenna Cup participants, Colm Donnelly, Kelvin Hughes, Aidan McCarron, Paul Rouse and Omagh's Cathal McCarron. UUJ student Brendan Boggs and Errigal Ciaran's Paul Quinn, who is still unavailable for action after sustaining a serious injury in the club championship last year, are also among the absentees, and the list of omissions notably includes three All-Ireland medallists, Cormac McGinley, Gerald Cavlan and the man who sensationally confirmed his retirement from inter-county football last Thursday, Stephen O'Neill. The latter trio have excluded themselves from the county scene in recent weeks, with Cavlan choosing not to attend the trials back in November and McGinley opting out of the panel just before the commencement of the 2008 McKenna Cup. While the 2005 footballer of the year, O'Neill, has made his retirement official, it seems likely that the other pair have also brought the curtain down on their inter-county careers.

Meanwhile, six players recently called up by the manager for the first time for the McKenna Cup have failed to make the cut. John Gilmore, Dominic Hands, Conall Martin, Kevin McNally, Fabian O'Neill and Gary Reilly all took part in Tyrone's January programme but didn't make it on to the next stage when the manager came around to reducing his numbers at the weekend. UUJ pair, Paul Marlow and Ciaran Donnelly, were also in the running for squad places but haven't made the final 32 for the league. Mickey Harte finalised his NFL squad after holding a final trial game last Wednesday night under floodlights in Cookstown and then staging a challenge game against the Tyrone under-21s in Trillick on Saturday, a match that was won comfortably by the seniors. The highlight of both sessions was the eye-catching performance of Brian McGuigan each time. The Ardboe star was in great form in both workouts and the news that he could be well on the road to making his Tyrone comeback should act as a massive boost for the county, and particularly for the Tyrone camp. The 2003 All-Star centre forward is expected to be named among the subs this weekend.

Looking ahead to the Kildare tie, which actually falls on the fifth anniversary of Mickey Harte's first NFL assignment as Tyrone boss (which ended in a one-point defeat to Roscommon back in 2003), Tyrone look set to be without Sean Cavanagh, Peter Donnelly, Mickey McGee, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon and team captain Brian Dooher for the visit of Kieran McGeeney's side.

Tyrone's league panel, meanwhile, has representation from nineteen different clubs, with Dromore and Moy sharing the distinction of having the biggest quota of players in the county set-up. County champions Dromore have doubled their representation from two to four following the inclusion of Cathal McCarron and Shaun O'Neill alongside established county men, Ryan McMenamin and Colm McCullagh. Errigal Ciaran have three players on board, while Ardboe, Omagh, Coalisland, Cookstown and Killyclogher have two apiece. There are three sets of brothers on the list of panellists - the Cavanaghs, McGuigans and McMahons.

*************************************************************************************************************************

Personally, I'd be happy enough with the panel, all things considered.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I wouldve liked to see Aidan McCarron in there and given a couple of games to prove himself - we need scoring forwards now more than ever with SON going and McCarron might have had something to offer there -  but otherwise its a strong enough looking panel. Again nobody wants to rush Brian McGuigan back.....but that news about him does sound quite encouraging :).

Puckoon

I agree, Aiden is a direct running scoring threat. Where is this going to come from in this panel? Plenty of nice ball players, but no real scoring machine.

clarshack

was never a fan of aidan mcarron but lately he had started to win me over so i am surprised as well that he didnt make the cut.

orangeman

But who do you put him in ahead of ???

tyrone86

You could make an argument for any of the lads that have been left out but when you're only going with 32 that's as strong a panel as is available at the moment. Aidan McCarron is possibly a bit hard done by but we're well stocked in the half forward line and I think that's why he lost out. I don't think the lack of a marquee forward will do us any damage in the short term - now there's no O'Neill to fall back on the entire forward unit will have to take more responsibility individually, and any passengers will be found out that bit quicker.

ONeill

Some players will be mightily disappointed but as some said, who do you leave out?

UUJ men Boggs and Donnelly were as good as any Tyrone player when they met.

Conall Martin, Kevin McNally and Fabian O'Neill will also think they've blown it.

One other disappointment will be how one person I know found out about it - through the media. Not good enough Mickey.

(on second thoughts - it's probably easier to phone those who made it and made sure the panel knew that beforehand)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Can someone please tell me what has Peter Donnelly EVER done in a senior county strip that warrants his inclusion in this years panel.

Time and time again he gets chances others would give thier right arm for, time and time again he fails to do ANYTHING useful.

Whether it be running through treacle, misplacing passess, watching the opposition amble by or kicking the ball backwards over his own head he has been 100% awful.

young lads like McCarron, Donnelly etc must be despairing..............

orangeman

I saw Donnelly in the semi final against Donaghmore and almost singlehandedly beat Donaghmore.

nrico2006

QuoteWhether it be running through treacle, misplacing passess, watching the opposition amble by or kicking the ball backwards over his own head he has been 100% awful.

True!!  I will never forget the kick!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyroneman

QuoteI saw Donnelly in the semi final against Donaghmore and almost singlehandedly beat Donaghmore

Well if Tyrone Seniors ever play Donaghmore I know who'lll be first on the teamsheet.

In the meantime however......................................

rrhf

Well if Tyrone Seniors ever play Donaghmore I know who'lll be first on the teamsheet.
::)probably Ryan Mellon. ;)

orangeman

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Id imagine this season is probably Donnelly's last chance with Tyrone, he has had plenty of opportunities and is still to convince and surely unless he makes real progress over the next few months he will drift out of the county setup. How old is Paul Marlow now? He seemed to be a real prospect a few years ago but hasnt kicked on (I know he has had bad luck with injuries) as expected.

orangeman

Marlowe was a huge prospect but injury seems to have blighted his career.