Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 11:23:51 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2018, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

It's so cringey it almost belongs on Willie Joe's blog.

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluxtons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Sorry that's just wrong, if you look back the big games over the last few years Cluxton has buckled when pressure cane on him

That's nonsesne tbh. Beggan deserves the all star imo but any suggestion Cluxton doesn't perform under pressure is laughable. His performances in All Ireland finals have been masterful. You should know given what he did in 2013 especially, and 2017. It's been the odd semi final (2016 & 2018) where he's made mistakes

TheGreatest

Hilarious stuff on here, I am sure Cluxton is more than happy with his 6th All Ireland medal. I hope he doesn't go.

Time for the Pen Pushers to be removed from the all star picks.

seafoid

Cluxton won 2 all stars in the years he won all Irelands- 11 and 13 - and 3 when he didn't - 02,06,07
This year's decision is not statistically significant
5 allstars is a measure of how good he is
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 08:34:12 AM
Hilarious stuff on here, I am sure Cluxton is more than happy with his 6th All Ireland medal. I hope he doesn't go.

I bet that inside you are fuming.

Get over it.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on November 02, 2018, 09:40:54 AM

Get over it.

I know you would like to think that but not really, haven't really paid attention to them since they became the Annual All Star Mayo sympathy awards. (Not this year though). Cluxton will go down as one of the greats, everyone who is not biased knows he is one of the greats, that's that.

I rather players winning all Irelands than All Stars.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 09:45:11 AM

Get over it.

I know you would like to think that but not really, haven't really paid attention to them since they became the Annual All Star Mayo sympathy awards. (Not this year though). Cluxton will go down as one of the greats, everyone who is not biased knows he is one of the greats, that's that.

Of course you're not.  ;) ;)

Maroon Manc

Cluxton had a very bad spell during the first half of the 2017 All Ireland final, think Mayo won 5 of his kickouts.

Got rattled during the first half of the Galway game too, made a mistake for the goal and followed it straight up with a poor kickout where Galway should have scored a goal; Comer had his shot saved when he should have passed to Heaney who'd have had an open goal.

Shane Walsh is the player who's certainly the most hard done by, there's no way Ryan McHugh & Ian Burke deserved one ahead of him.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on November 02, 2018, 09:49:15 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 02, 2018, 09:45:11 AM

Get over it.

Of course you're not.  ;) ;)

Fair play to you Mup, underneath it all your a decent buachaill. Misguided but decent.

straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 01, 2018, 11:18:38 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2018, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

It's so cringey it almost belongs on Willie Joe's blog.

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluctons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Cluxton made a balls up in the semi final too, the difference is that he has such a brilliant team in front of him that those mistakes are irrelevant to the final result

But he didn't cost his team the game. Beggan did TWICE. Surely that should be a factor. Cluxton's excellence is being used against him. What more does he have do that he hasn't done over the last 5 years?

FFS he didn't cost them the Tyrone game... he made a bad decision and it very nearly turned into a close in free (if you remember the ref put his hand up and took it down again). He had a great season. So did Cluxton but not as good in the eyes of the voters. You need to get over it. All this attention is very unfair on Beggan who has done nothing wrong. He also has an important Ulster club game on Sunday and I'm sure he doesn't need all this noise. As many before me have said the injustice here on Cluxton is not this year but previous years when kerry and mayo goalies wrongly got awards ahead of him.

seafoid

3 all stars is absolutely massive for Monaghan
According to wiki they had 9 before yesterday

1979: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes
1985: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes (2nd All Star)
1985: Ciarán Murray
1986: Ray Mc Carron
1988: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes (3rd)
1988: Paddy Linden
2007: Tomás Freeman
2013: Colin Walshe
2013: Conor McManus
2015: Conor McManus

Who cares about Clucko ?
For Beggan and O'Connell to be in that Pantheon is really something.  It's recognition by the whole nation for players from one of the smallest counties. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tippabu

Beggans performance against Kerry this year is probably the best performance I can think of....1st half especially, never seen kicking like it he was sensational

tonto1888

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 09:58:06 AM
Cluxton had a very bad spell during the first half of the 2017 All Ireland final, think Mayo won 5 of his kickouts.

Got rattled during the first half of the Galway game too, made a mistake for the goal and followed it straight up with a poor kickout where Galway should have scored a goal; Comer had his shot saved when he should have passed to Heaney who'd have had an open goal.

Shane Walsh is the player who's certainly the most hard done by, there's no way Ryan McHugh & Ian Burke deserved one ahead of him.

He did save the shot tho. He also saved a penalty during this time. I still think Beggan was the right choice tho

Schkite

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2018, 10:31:08 AM
3 all stars is absolutely massive for Monaghan
According to wiki they had 9 before yesterday

1979: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes
1985: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes (2nd All Star)
1985: Ciarán Murray
1986: Ray Mc Carron
1988: Eugene "Nudie" Hughes (3rd)
1988: Paddy Linden
2007: Tomás Freeman
2013: Colin Walshe
2013: Conor McManus
2015: Conor McManus

Who cares about Clucko ?
For Beggan and O'Connell to be in that Pantheon is really something.  It's recognition by the whole nation for players from one of the smallest counties.

On O'Connell, it's amazing that after only taking up the sport at any level while he was finishing school, that he now becomes one of only 9 men from Monaghan to win an all star.

For Beggan, it's surprising that he only becomes the 2nd Scotstown all star, given what a big club historically they are for the county, especially through the 70s and 80s.

And for Conor, it's a fantastic achievement to equal Nudie's record of 3, he's a credit to his club and county.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 02, 2018, 10:44:42 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2018, 09:58:06 AM

He did save the shot tho. He also saved a penalty during this time. I still think Beggan was the right choice tho

He did but just making the point he's had meltdowns too mainly the Kerry semi in 16 and the first half against Mayo in 17. You'd think he never makes a mistake according to some of the Dublin posters.