Laois Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 27, 2020, 11:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Emo v Portlaoise will be an interesting one and with the form Gary Walsh is showing over the last two games his duel with Mark Timmons will also be one to watch..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

on the hop

Big chance for emo, especially if they continue using the pace in their team. Hard to know where Portlaoise are. Still hard to beat and score against but still finding it hard to score in the absence of Bruno. While taking into account the massed defense Joseph's employed and the frees and marks scored, still only one of the starting forwards scored from play. The strong bench gave them a kick near the end but at times they seemed obsessed with keeping the ball and crabbing over and back across the field which allowed Joseph's back into positions. Bar Gareth Dillon, I don't think too many others drove forward to commit Joseph's. Second time I saw Joseph's and hard to know where they are at. They employed a fairly strict  game plan doubling up on both wings and forcing Portlaoise to play out the field. Must have been frustrating for their supporters especially when they cut loose at the end and caused all sorts of bother with their pace. Josh o brien is an excellent target man and one for the future.

Keyser Söze

Didn't see yesterday's game, but would it be fair to say that Joseph's seem to have almost decided as a club to go with this type of game plan? It seems to have transcended a few different management teams?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Despite underage success Josephs have been fairly poor the last few seasons at senior level. Locally they would have the tradition and consider themselves top dog etc but in recent times the likes of Kilcruise, Kileen and Ballylinan have performed much better in the championship. When was the last time Josephs made a serious challenge?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

Anyone know what the situation is with Colm Murphy , Ronan Coffey , Paddy OSullivan and Diarmuid Bennett from portarlington? Can't see them going all the way without those four .

The PRO

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on September 20, 2020, 06:55:41 PM
Laois SFC Quarter-finals

Ballyfin v The Heath
Emo v Portlaoise
Graiguecullen v Ballylinan
Portarlington v O'Dempseys

I think it's a very good quarter final draw. Both The Heath and Ballyfin won't have minded drawing one another one bit. Graigue and Ballylinan is not quite a derby but nearly and it will be interesting to see if Lillis can manage to get Ballylinan back to another semi final.
Emo v Portlaoise should be a decent game and despite the obituaries surrounding Portlaoise, they are still there and will be hard to beat.
Port and O'Dempseys is the one I'm most looking forward to. Port seem to have a huge crop of young talented players but I do think O'Dempseys will make it difficult for them.

Helix.

Arles Kilcruise relegated tonight 0:11 0:09. End of an era for them at senior for a while. You'd wonder what it will take to have them senior again: be it on their own or joining like juveniles na fianna og.

Hospital Pass

Delighted for Courtwood, odd year for them with so many players missing. Not that I have anything against Kilcruise but their race is run and from a senior championship perspective I think Courtwood will be stronger next year.
Seen a post on the Courtwood facebook page about the 1999 Intermediate final. went a had a look. Kilcruise actually had a number of players playing this evening that played in that final. Remarkable really.
Arles  Team in the 1999 final - E.Kelly, E.Mulhall, J.Conway, J.Wall, JP.Conway, P.Conway, M.Mooney, G.Harkins, N.Kelly, C.Conway, L.Wall, B.Conway, JM.McDonald, K.Kealy,E.Mooney, subs R.Munnelly, A.McElroy, K.Kealy, E.Warren, A.Hughes, T.Wall, F.Tully, M.Munnelly, J.Condron, M.O Shea

Whos the oldest player in this years Senior Championship is it Chris Conway? I reckon he's at least 43. some servant.

SCFC

Streamed it last night too.

Father Time eventually just got to Arles. It wasn't in their legs anymore. They gave it everything but the bit of luck possibly went with Courtwood on the night.

Feel for lads like Chris, JP, Ross, Davy and Digger. Have given a lot to club and county for a long time. Hard to see them bounce back quickly but one thing I'd say is never write them off.

Don't know what to make of Courtwood. Missing a lot of players to be fair. 6 to 8 starters apparently. Hope they can get some of them back for next year and build on the crop of young lads they seem to have. Donoher was outstanding. Absolutely ran the show. Still a class act at 34.

redsetanta

Arles have a decent amount of young lads in the 12 to 14 age bracket at the moment with a few more younger still. Basically the next generation. Sons of current and former players so it's be a while before any of them are making an impact at senior.

The underage group are doing well though so the signs are not bad. The life of a small rural club.

At least this team went the whole way and can look back at the senior win as well as their final appearances against an all powerful Portlaoise team. With a bit of luck they might have won another one. Plenty of teams in Laois who haven't managed that.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SCFC

Quote from: redsetanta on October 02, 2020, 12:25:36 PM
Arles have a decent amount of young lads in the 12 to 14 age bracket at the moment with a few more younger still. Basically the next generation. Sons of current and former players so it's be a while before any of them are making an impact at senior.

The underage group are doing well though so the signs are not bad. The life of a small rural club.

At least this team went the whole way and can look back at the senior win as well as their final appearances against an all powerful Portlaoise team. With a bit of luck they might have won another one. Plenty of teams in Laois who haven't managed that.
Good to hear Arles have a few young lads coming through. It's been too long since they produced a decent crop. I'm sure there are a few young Conways and Walls!
And you're right. They will always have 2003 which a lot of other clubs don't.

Chrimtain

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Chrimtain on October 04, 2020, 08:07:45 AM
Sean Moore for Laois?
I've always thought Laois should be using him. This stuff about him being too light is rubbish. He is a class player and I'd love to see him playing off Evan O'Carroll. He's well able to win his own ball too.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Chrimtain

While our neighbours, who were also in lockdown, are playing their senior finals, we are only playing our quarter finals today and we have no idea when our semi finals will be played. A farce! Will we have our county final by Christmas?

Keyser Söze

No semi final draw for a month? That's absolutely ridiculous. How did the clubs allow that to happen? Very disrespectful towards the SFC all round.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......