Ex-County players still playing club football at a brave oul age

Started by theticklemister, July 15, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Derry Optimist on July 30, 2012, 05:49:08 PM
When it comes to longevity at playing club football, Down treble All Ireland  Senior medal winner Dan McCartan is hard to beat. First of all, along with his first cousin  the great Sean O'Neill, he played in sixteen Ulster senior finals, including the 1974 Ulster final replay against Donegal. During his career he played club football with Glenn, Tullylish and Carrryduff. At the age of 47, along with his son Mark,  he won a Down Junior championship medal in 1986. The long - serving Dan played his last club game for Carryduff in 1998, at the ripe young age of 59! Having been an outstanding handballer since his days in St Colman's College in Newry, he continued to play the small ball game all his life until he was  in his mid sixties. Furthermore, in 2004, just before his 65th birthday, and along with former Antrim star Gaelic footballer Des McNeill, he brought another All Ireland medal to his native county. That year they won the All Ireland Diamond Masters' doubles 40 x 20  handball final in Mullingar. So from the age of 12 when he started in St Colman's until he retired from handball at the age of 65 Dan McCartan had been a continuous, active participant in Gaelic Games of one code or both  for a remarkable,  successive 53 years. The modest Dan who has now retired from his dental practice is surely deserving of some individual award for outstanding service to Gaelic Games. The appropriate authorities should take note of this fantastic achievement.

When I started playing senior football Dan was in goal for Carryduff and could still kick the ball a mile. PT Treacy was also playing for the duff then. What age are these two boys now??
The Aristocrat Years

RedandGreenSniper

Liam 'Stanley' Nyland who played with Mayo in the 1990s played with his club Davitts up until about three or four years ago. He wasn't far off fifty. That was his club's first team too, if I'm not mistaken.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Milltown Row2

There should be master club hurling/football leagues going on. No reason why there can't be a 12 aside league for players in their 40th year and onwards. Recreational hurling and football games would be a great way of keeping ex seniors in the club and about the place. So great experience is lost once a player hangs up his boots. These players are invaluable to the younger lads coming through.

While not a million years younger than Seamus McGoran, he played county for Antrim for years before taking up with the Antrim masters team and played for the club reserves to a ripe old age (competitive age)

Recreational hurling and football games have taken place but usually they are one off tournaments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2012, 04:20:47 PM
There should be master club hurling/football leagues going on. No reason why there can't be a 12 aside league for players in their 40th year and onwards. Recreational hurling and football games would be a great way of keeping ex seniors in the club and about the place. So great experience is lost once a player hangs up his boots. These players are invaluable to the younger lads coming through.

While not a million years younger than Seamus McGoran, he played county for Antrim for years before taking up with the Antrim masters team and played for the club reserves to a ripe old age (competitive age)

Recreational hurling and football games have taken place but usually they are one off tournaments

Been saying that for years Milltown . I would love a game of Gaelic just for recreational purposes and a bit of craic and catching up with old friends however when you hit a certain age there is no games available. I play soccer on astroturf and there is a masters league however given a choice i love to play a game of football.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

neilthemac

Well the GAA abolished the County Masters teams - which was a disgrace

A club over 40s league would be a brilliant idea, hurling and football
You could easily play games of 11-a-side on a shortened pitch with modified rules.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: neilthemac on August 01, 2012, 06:25:21 PM
Well the GAA abolished the County Masters teams - which was a disgrace

A club over 40s league would be a brilliant idea, hurling and football
You could easily play games of 11-a-side on a shortened pitch with modified rules.

What was the reason behind this? I was looking forward to playing in those games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

I'm open to correction but I think the Masters went the way of the dodo partly due to insurance costs or concerns?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Puckoon on August 02, 2012, 12:16:13 AM
I'm open to correction but I think the Masters went the way of the dodo partly due to insurance costs or concerns?

Yeah your right puck the gaa didn't recognise the competetion so therefore the games couldn't be played for insurance reasons
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 02, 2012, 06:33:09 AM

Yeah your right puck the gaa didn't recognise the competition so therefore the games couldn't be played for insurance reasons

Typical of Croke Park to let things lapse, any players I knew who played in these competitions enjoyed the craic, heading off to play very competitive games and they always enjoyed the craic afterwards. Many of the lads ended up playing Down Under in a compromised rules games against the Aussies.

A club league or mini league would be grand and easy to run. If you had ten teams with overaged players it could be run off over a couple of months.

Harold Disgracey

We have/had a bit of a recreational football league running in Armagh, largely organised by Diarmaid Marsden. All games that I've played in have been played in the right spirit and have been great craic.

We've been playing this for a few years now and it's a great way to get ex-players or those who never played competively for the club back involved. We even went over to Glasgow to play a game last year.

There are games to be played, if you want them. For example An Riocht organise a recreational tournament each year, this year's is on 1st September IIRC.

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2012, 09:05:44 AM

Yeah your right puck the gaa didn't recognise the competition so therefore the games couldn't be played for insurance reasons

Typical of Croke Park to let things lapse, any players I knew who played in these competitions enjoyed the craic

The games weren't covered under the GAA insurance. It's all a bit of craic until someone suffers a serious injury then 'The GAA' are at fault again.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 10:35:37 AM

Typical of Croke Park to let things lapse, any players I knew who played in these competitions enjoyed the craic

The games weren't covered under the GAA insurance. It's all a bit of craic until someone suffers a serious injury then 'The GAA' are at fault again.

Clubs pay a fee for each team they place into a league/competition why can't this be the same, set up a league/competition, club pays the usual fee and away ya go. Members are paying for it anyways.

An under 14 can suffer a serious injury also but he's still covered

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2012, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 10:35:37 AM

Clubs pay a fee for each team they place into a league/competition why can't this be the same, set up a league/competition, club pays the usual fee and away ya go. Members are paying for it anyways.

An under 14 can suffer a serious injury also but he's still covered

There were insurance issues. The GAA insurance scheme can only pay out what it takes in. It costs more to insurance a +40 year old man than it does an U14 player.

brokencrossbar1

I can't say for other counties but I know there is a recreational program in Armagh and I also think it Monaghan. It is similar to Tag rugby with only minimal contact allowed, subject to the refs discretion :P. It is generally minimum 12 aside and covers 35's to 50's though I know a few lads on the upper range faking their DOB! It should be more organised across the boards and have it like Tag where you haved mixed teams with womes scores counting double!

Leonardo

There were quite a few games last year in Down - An Riocht, Loughinisland, Clonduff and Carrickcruppin????, as well as a number of 7 a side tournaments