Westmeath v Down (Mullingar) – Referee: Gearoid Ó Conamha

Started by goldenyears, March 23, 2010, 11:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

Let's get away from the banal Down v Armagh arguments and look forward.

Surely Down can pick up a point in Mullingar to get promotion?
Will 1 point be enough?
Westmeath showed signs of life last weekend and will not be a pushover?

Will James make changes + give some fringe players a run?

western exile

At this stage, 2 points are still required for promotion as 2 of the chasing pack could also end up with 10 points, and it would then go down to points difference.
McCartan said in a newpaper interview a few weeks ago that he had promised the squad that they would all get game time at some point during the league. Based on that, I think there could be a few changes for this game.

Trevor Hill

I am not expecting too many changes for Sundays game. Promotion is the main aim now and that will not be achieved until after Sundays game. Clarke is fit and should start, no word on McComiskey as yet. If Paul isn't able to start I would like to see Laverty in from the start. Its all well and good throwing him on when teams are tiring, lets see him over the 70 minutes, he is more than able for it at this stage.
Contrary to expectations our defence has been pretty solid, conceding only 2 goals, a penalty and a defensive error that cost McVeigh his place. There is no need for any change here as yet. Midfield is solid, even without Dan. My biggest concern for Sunday is the referee, who has not been kind to Down in the past. If we can beat Kinneavy we are in Division 1, which is way more than anyone expected when wee James took over. James along with the rest of the management team have brought a new approach to Down football, our players are fighting for every ball. Gone are the days of give it to Benny, Benny like everyone else is expected to win his own ball and everyone else is allowed to shoot. Well done to all concerned, long may it continue.

T Fearon

Undoubtedly the pressure will get to Down when it matters, as it did last year in the Div 3 Final against Tipp and the Championship games against mighty Fermanagh and Wicklow. Flanagan's back for Westmeath and that's a big plus and Down haven't Sludden to help them this weekend, and are at the mercies of the whims of O'Conamha.

Still wouldn't rule out a Div 2 Final between Armagh and Donegal, teams who have won Ulster Championships and National Leagues in recent years, with proven abilities to deliver in the big games at the business end.

bcarrier

T Fearon

The full works, drinks on arrival, four course meal, live band etc

Maiden1

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 02:55:03 PM
Undoubtedly the pressure will get to Down when it matters, as it did last year in the Div 3 Final against Tipp and the Championship games against mighty Fermanagh and Wicklow. Flanagan's back for Westmeath and that's a big plus and Down haven't Sludden to help them this weekend, and are at the mercies of the whims of O'Conamha.

Still wouldn't rule out a Div 2 Final between Armagh and Donegal, teams who have won Ulster Championships and National Leagues in recent years, with proven abilities to deliver in the big games at the business end.

I would say you would get good odds for a Donegal Armagh division 2 final at this stage considering they are both 3 points behind Down with 2 games to go and they still have to play each other.  Basically they need to draw when they play each other then hammer the teams they play in there last game and hope Down do not pick up any points against Westmeath and Laois.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: goldenyears on March 23, 2010, 11:30:58 PM
Let's get away from the banal Down v Armagh arguments and look forward.

Could I draw everyones attention (including the mods) to the first line of this thread. We do not want/need the bitter and caustic comments of a certain Armagh poster on this thread. Please stick to Westmesth v Down if you are going to add anything meaningful.

Gaaboardmod3

Can ye two not just cop on? This sort of stuff sickens my hole.

As regards that post from T.Fearon, I can't see anything wrong with it. I have other reported posts to look at, but that is a comment on the game this weekend as far as I can see.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on March 24, 2010, 04:49:43 PM

As regards that post from T.Fearon, I can't see anything wrong with it. I have other reported posts to look at, but that is a comment on the game this weekend as far as I can see.

Mind your language, I may have to report you!

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on March 24, 2010, 04:56:43 PM
Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on March 24, 2010, 04:49:43 PM

Mind your language, I may have to report you!
Apologies :)

bennydorano

Westmeath have been hugely unlucky since the pasting they got from Armagh, beaten by the minimum in their last 2/3? games.  ~Kinneavey down rite cheated Armagh out of 2 points against Meath, I would agree that he is probably Down's biggest obstacle this weekend, top of a long list of woeful refs.

Ceart agus Cóir

Despite Westmeath being on course for the wooden spoon...i wouldnt be suprised the down men take the eyes off the ball this weekend! they done it against Tipp few weeks ago, and after weekend of partying and possibly changes with the easing of pressure i think down will be run close! Hope im wrong! But Down are certs either way i see them picking up 2 points for promotion- dont make silly bets about Donegal V Armagh final-not gonna happen!

Goalkeeper-shouldnt be a dilemma. Mc Veigh's the best keeper in Down, and personally i feel the best in Ulster! Alders solid enough, but McVeigh pulls off the spectacular and over the past years i feel he's been Down's unsung hero!
Lavery- been critical of him myself and still think he's not starting material...but proved me wrong against Armagh- good impact sub! Down need players like him to liven the forward line up against tired defences!

Touch wood Donegal dont join us in the league final....4 meetings even before our championship match-not ideal!

dodgy umpire

Laverty has done  enough to show he is worthy of a starting place on sunday. He is constantly alert and his lack of size is more than compensated for by his pace and intelligent play. It wouldn't be fair on him to have him labelled as an impact sub
The Boys in Red and Black are back

drici

28-03-10 (Sunday)
National Hurling League Roinn II
Round 5
An Iarmhí V Aontroim
Time: 4-15 PM, Venue: Cusack Park, Mullingar
Referee: Eamonn Hassen