Armagh V Tipperary - Crossmaglen - 28/03/2010 14.30

Started by AFS, March 22, 2010, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobit hunter

Another strange decision - he looked quite the prospect at minor level so will be dissapointed if he doesn't make the grade.  With a bit of beef on him in a year or two, he could well be the roving half fwd we need.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 04:44:17 PM
Murnin couldn't even make this year's U21 panel. ???
He didn't miss much anyway plus has another few years at that level in any case... Let him have a few years senior football with the scrams, the big derby with Eire Og will surely make a man out of him

T Fearon

I played soccer with the lad's  da, and he was a great Eire Og man ??? How come the young lad ended up with St Paul's?

armaghniac

QuoteClear this up for me, BBC reporting Tipp down to 14 men after half an hour and played the last 10 with 13?  I dont remember seeing a red card from the ref although I thought one of the Tipp players went off near the end although I thought he was being subbed.  When and for what were the two players sent off?

The Indo (an Irish times)  also suggests that a Tipp player was sent off in the first half. I had no idea that this was the case and the people standing around me had no talk of 14 men. Surely Armagh would have had a sweeper if this really was the case, you only had to see what Down did the previous week! If it is not the case does it not say something about the GAA that nobody knows.

ARMAGH diced with danger before eventually keeping their promotion hopes alive following a late surge against a gritty Tipperary outfit at Crossmaglen yesterday.

Ahead by 1-9 to 0-1 at the break, with Gareth Swift's clinically-finished goal the last slice of first-half action, the Orchard County lost their way completely in the third quarter.

Despite playing against 14 men, following Derek Bourke's 28th-minute dismissal, they lapsed into a catalogue of errors that almost had disastrous consequences.

Two gift-wrapped goals from Barry Grogan in the 45th and 63rd minutes provided Tipperary with the momentum that sustained their gallant second-half recovery and underlined Armagh's defensive deficiencies -- which must be addressed before the vital promotion battle with Donegal on Sunday week.

Source

Once again, Stevie McDonnell was the prime source of Armagh scores, with six points, while James Lavery and Kieran Toner had things their own way in the middle until the second-half arrival of Kevin Mulryan turned the tide in Tipperary's favour and saw Armagh remain scoreless from the 37th minute until the 58th.

The visitors' industry, covering and opportunism made life difficult for Armagh and afterwards selector John Cummins suggested that they could have stolen the points.

"Armagh's goal just on the interval whistle was a sickening blow, but we showed a bit of pride in the jersey after the break and had chances to win the match," he said.

Had Tipperary not lost midfielder George Hannigan to a late red card, they might have produced a major upset. Armagh, though, remain on track for a Division 1 slot

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AFS

That fella Bourke was their number 7. I'm almost certain he wasn't sent off, it was just a botched substitution. It seems the boys in the press box weren't paying attention and, when they saw the fella coming off with no simultaneous replacement, just assumed he'd been sent off. Would make you wary of believing anything you read in match reports.

armaghniac

They could simply have counted the players after half time. My recollection is that when the ball was thrown in for the second half there were 15 men on each side in a pretty conventional formation. Surely a half competent journo would normally look for changes etc after half time?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Benny Barnaveld

What did anyone reckon about Lavery's performance? Reckon he will be a starter the next day?

AFS

Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on March 29, 2010, 10:14:41 PM
What did anyone reckon about Lavery's performance? Reckon he will be a starter the next day?

Reckon the midfield is relatively easy to predict now. Toner and Vernon are first choice. Lavery is next in line. He'll play if Vernon is still injured, or if Vernon is brought back in at CHF.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on March 30, 2010, 08:59:29 AM

Reckon the midfield is relatively easy to predict now. Toner and Vernon are first choice. Lavery is next in line. He'll play if Vernon is still injured, or if Vernon is brought back in at CHF.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of either Vernon or Lavery starting in the half forward line.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 30, 2010, 09:18:02 AM
Quote from: AFS on March 30, 2010, 08:59:29 AM

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of either Vernon or Lavery starting in the half forward line.

I think Vernon is the only realistic alternative to Kernan at CHF, there's no one else that they're gonna throw in there cold. Lavery could do a job at that 10 ball winning role with Vernon and Toner at midfield alright.

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 04:44:17 PM
Murnin couldn't even make this year's U21 panel. ???

Yes he could tony, he opted out of it himself
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Yeah, I certainly believed he should have been in it, and I hope my original post wasn't misleading as I mean't to question why he wasn't in the panel.

Why is he with St Paul's when Andy, his da, was a great Eire Og man! (Still remember the day in 1982, when I set Andy Snr up, with a precise cross Ryan Giggs would have been proud of,  for a classic headed winning goal against Armagh Thistle up in Armagh ;D)