Patsy O'Hagan RIP

Started by Carbery, March 21, 2010, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbery

Down legend O'Hagan passes away
Down GAA is in mourning after the death of twice All-Ireland Football winner Patsy O'Hagan.

The Clonduff club-man died over the weekend in Galway, where he lived since the 1970s.

O'Hagan played on the 1960 Down team that were the first side from the six Northern Ireland counties to clinch the Sam Maguire Cup.

He went on to lift a second All-Ireland medal 12 months later when Down retained the title.

O'Hagan also was the first Irishman to score a hat-trick at Wembley Stadium.

In the early 1960s, a number of gaelic teams played in a tournament at the world-famous London venue and O'Hagan scored four goals in a match against Galway.

After the feat, there were reports in the English press that Chelsea were keen on signing the gaelic footballer.

O'Hagan made his name as a full-forward but also played full-back for the Mourne County.

He was also a selector for the Down team which won the 1968 All-Ireland title.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8579220.stm

Condolences to his family.

Pangurban

Very sad news, he was one of the true greats of Down Football, and a real gentleman, sincere condolences to his family

Lar Naparka

I remember Patsy well..
He stood out in a team of stars and was known and loved throughout the land.
RIP.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Trevor Hill

Onlooker

A very fine player, who always struck me as one of the quiet men of that great Down team.  He could play in any part of the field.  Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

mouview

A sad loss. His family have a big input into the Claregalway club as far as I am aware. Indeed Danny Cummins, who appeared for Galway today, is a grandson I think.

mournerambler

redandblack4ever

I'll never forget the night that I met Patsy O'Hagan. It was before Christmas of 1981. My husband, a Clonduff man born and bred, had taken me to Ireland for a "delayed " honeymoon.  We were in the hotel in Hilltown (before it was remodeled) it was getting late and I was getting a little aggravated at Mr. Wonderful, because I was tired and I wanted to go home. 

Needless to say, Patsy O'Hagan came to my rescue, he collared Mr. Wonderful, who he had known forever, and drove us home to Mr. Wonderful's mothers' house. I didn't realize who he was until he walked into the sitting room and my mother-in-law (RIP) said to Patsy,  "Well Patsy you're very welcome home from Galway. " At that I made the connection of who this stranger was and I was overwhelmed.  He sat down with us in the sitting room, had breakfast, looked at our wedding pictures, and had the craic with my MIL and Mr. Wonderful, while I sat there, like a gobshite, with my mouth hanging open.  I was in the presence of a GAA legend and my in-laws actually knew him.

He was a lovely man and my sympathy goes to all of his family. As us Irish-Americans say, "God broke the mold when he made Patsy , we'lll be lucky to ever see the likes of him again."

RIP, Patsy

Mrs. redandblack4 ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

T O Hare

RIP.. Going on stories from my father he was an absloute genuis and will never be forgotten about in Down!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

The Worker

southsidejohnny

I remember that great Down outfit and the 1968 team too. Another part of our past that Micheal O Hehir used to liven up for us is gone. Cavan legend Mick Higgins and now Patsy O Hagen. God Bless him.

crossfire

RIP

Patsy was a great player.

Dont think he ever played full back for Down though.

ballela-angel

Crossfire - Patsy told me he played in every position for Down except goalkeeper
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

western exile