Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The league in hurling is pretty meaningless compared to football.

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2023, 12:54:46 PM

revert back to what it was 4/5 years ago

when you had a top 6 Division 1

and the likes of Limerick Galway and Clare trying to get promoted out of Div2

keep her low this half

Quote from: clonadmad on March 13, 2023, 01:23:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2023, 12:54:46 PM

revert back to what it was 4/5 years ago

when you had a top 6 Division 1

and the likes of Limerick Galway and Clare trying to get promoted out of Div2

Revert back to four divisions of 8 with two up two down. Seven league matches guaranteed 3 at home at least and something to play for in almost every match.

harryR

Quote from: johnnycool on March 02, 2023, 09:15:32 AM
Quote from: harryR on February 28, 2023, 04:05:39 PM
I might have missed this in the chat, but what's going on with Aaron Gillane then? Not on the panel for the rumoured altercation with rugby star or what's the story

Alleged court case pending...

Must have been sorted before getting that far 🤷

seafoid

I don't think that having 2x6 is the problem. There is no link to the championship
The championship is far more important

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 12, 2023, 09:24:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2023, 07:16:30 PM
Good win for Antrim

Antrim had to win ugly today, which matched the weather, so get any injuries sorted and prepare for championship which will bring us forward
Antrim are safe. Laois go into the relegation playoff

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2023, 02:50:30 PM
I don't think that having 2x6 is the problem. There is no link to the championship

It's always been that way for as long as I can remember.

The problem with the league is that the games are actually meaningless as the top teams know they've only Laois/Antrim/Westmeath to beat to keep their status quo, but that's the way they wanted it.

I'd prefer the  4 x 8, two up, two down but the big counties don't want to have to avoid going into a Div2 with the riff raff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2023, 10:28:42 AM

The problem with the league is that the games are actually meaningless as the top teams know they've only Laois/Antrim/Westmeath to beat to keep their status quo, but that's the way they wanted it.

I'd prefer the  4 x 8, two up, two down but the big counties don't want to have to avoid going into a Div2 with the riff raff.

Johnny, bit of a struggle against Derry at home at the weekend? salvaged a draw by the looks of it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I think there are 2 challenges. Making the league relevant and developing the game.
the League could have a guaranteed place in or a playoff for the last 6 as a prize. That would get counties interested.
Maybe Divisional teams would work for the developing counties. It is hard to see Antrim etc developing with such a small hurling footprint. Widening these is a long term project.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2023, 11:30:24 AM

I think there are 2 challenges. Making the league relevant and developing the game.
the League could have a guaranteed place in or a playoff for the last 6 as a prize. That would get counties interested.
Maybe Divisional teams would work for the developing counties. It is hard to see Antrim etc developing with such a small hurling footprint. Widening these is a long term project.

No they wouldn't...

Would Laois and Offaly "merge" to be more competitive in Leinster? Are you then denying two groups of 24/30 hurlers a chance to develop over the one group and then what sort of buy in would the players give to it?

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2023, 01:53:47 PM

No they wouldn't...

Would Laois and Offaly "merge" to be more competitive in Leinster? Are you then denying two groups of 24/30 hurlers a chance to develop over the one group and then what sort of buy in would the players give to it?
Well, if they wouldn't the only thing to do is grow the hurling footprint in each of the relevant counties.
Until then club all Irelands will be the ceiling.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2023, 02:58:09 PM

No they wouldn't...

Well, if they wouldn't the only thing to do is grow the hurling footprint in each of the relevant counties.

You say that like it's a bad thing  ;)

In terms of resources the club championships are a more even playing field, I don't think the likes of Laois, Antrim, Carlow could ever make the same resources available that are currently available to lads in Limerick, Cork, KK, heck even Clare who are the poor relations in this company.

That's the reality and those resources will be no different in an amalgamation.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2023, 04:15:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2023, 02:58:09 PM

No they wouldn't...

You say that like it's a bad thing  ;)

In terms of resources the club championships are a more even playing field, I don't think the likes of Laois, Antrim, Carlow could ever make the same resources available that are currently available to lads in Limerick, Cork, KK, heck even Clare who are the poor relations in this company.

That's the reality and those resources will be no different in an amalgamation.
Limerick now is an anomaly compared to the last 50 years. Pre JPM they were not so fluirseach. Hurling needs some imagination.
The money in the game could be split more evenly as in the US. Players could be transferred from bigger counties. There has to be a systemic review imo.

Milltown Row2

Most strong counties have a strong senior county league and championship and while the likes of Ballyhale Ballygunner and NP in Limerick do dominate their counties, it snot long before there is another team, Ballyhale will or have had their biggest tests in Kilkenny, so the depth and standard of club teams in these counties fills the county panels and gives a manager a far better skill/physical pick of players.

Laois, Carlow, Antrim, Westmeath, Kerry don't have more that 3 competitive teams challenging for honours I'd say at senior level, the standard in intermediate in some counties would be competitive with some of the best teams I've mentioned above

From an Antrim perspective we need to be unearthing more players and S&C needs done from about 4th year up, on top of developing the natural skills
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2023, 08:48:34 AM
Most strong counties have a strong senior county league and championship and while the likes of Ballyhale Ballygunner and NP in Limerick do dominate their counties, it snot long before there is another team, Ballyhale will or have had their biggest tests in Kilkenny, so the depth and standard of club teams in these counties fills the county panels and gives a manager a far better skill/physical pick of players.

Laois, Carlow, Antrim, Westmeath, Kerry don't have more that 3 competitive teams challenging for honours I'd say at senior level, the standard in intermediate in some counties would be competitive with some of the best teams I've mentioned above

From an Antrim perspective we need to be unearthing more players and S&C needs done from about 4th year up, on top of developing the natural skills
Ballyhale come with a great team every generation. In between a variety of clubs become county champions. Kilkenny wouldn't be the best example because hurling is a religion there. In Galway the geographical spread of hurlers is much wider. This is the issue for the developing counties. I don't think the GAA does enough in this area.
Rugby is looking at a Nations championship to bring North and South together. They have  3 goals
1 a global champion
2. engaging the fan base more than is the case currently
3. providing a pathway for rugby's emerging nations to improve and progress in order to benefit competition.

Hurling doesn't have a pathway for developing counties.