Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 10:27:34 AM
2 flawed teams. Neither has really got going this year.
all the teams left have their flaws. No stand out team, Dubs and Kerry probably slight favourites but neither close to the great Dub team of a few years back.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2023, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on June 26, 2023, 07:57:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2023, 07:41:27 PM
Nine times out of ten Kerry would have won that match in 2021 but everything fell Tyrone's way on the day and fair play to them for capitalising. But they've produced nothing since then to back it up. Man for man Kerry are much superior to Tyrone and I actually think they will win this very comfortably as Tyrone are not great in defence.

Tyrone were down to 14 men for 2 black card periods and there wasn't much in the game at all.

It was a similar type smash and grab that Donegal carried out on Dublin in 2014. Tyrone got goals at the right time but Kerry were very naive defensively. That's why they brought Tally in since then to shore them up. Tally will have the inside knowledge needed and Kerry will not be as naive again.

Quite a revealing post with the suggestion seeming to be that northern teams need luck and some kind of surprise factor to beat the traditional powers. In reality Donegal in 2014 in particular but also Tyrone in 2021 were already established teams who had shown previously they were capable at the highest level. They were the better teams on the day and neither was a "smash and grab". As others have said, Tyrone played a chunk with 14 men and also tired late on, which wasn't surprising given the circumstances surrounding the game. Final margin of defeat flattered Kerry. Let's hope northern teams going to Croke Park in the weeks ahead don't have the small time inferiority complex you seem to have.

Tyrone won't for sure but after the very patchy performances of this summer I'm still not convinced. The first half against Monaghan was good, they showed a bit of spirit at least with 14 against Galway, there were actually some good spells against Westmeath until the late collapse, and Saturday was very good, albeit Donegal were not. They were also poor in parts against Monaghan and Westmeath, as they were in a subdued performance against Armagh. You would really want a much better basis than that going into an All Ireland quarter final, and even more so after Tyrone took 2022 off. Significant question marks over their ability to just go back up through the gears based on recent times, despite the oft quoted suggestion that Kerry bring the best out of Tyrone.

What we do know is that the quality is there and that Tyrone won't fear Kerry. It will be interesting for sure.

yellowcard

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 27, 2023, 11:50:55 AM
Nine times out of ten Kerry would have won that match in 2021 but everything fell Tyrone's way on the day and fair play to them for capitalising. But they've produced nothing since then to back it up. Man for man Kerry are much superior to Tyrone and I actually think they will win this very comfortably as Tyrone are not great in defence.

Tyrone were down to 14 men for 2 black card periods and there wasn't much in the game at all.

It was a similar type smash and grab that Donegal carried out on Dublin in 2014. Tyrone got goals at the right time but Kerry were very naive defensively. That's why they brought Tally in since then to shore them up. Tally will have the inside knowledge needed and Kerry will not be as naive again.

Quite a revealing post with the suggestion seeming to be that northern teams need luck and some kind of surprise factor to beat the traditional powers. In reality Donegal in 2014 in particular but also Tyrone in 2021 were already established teams who had shown previously they were capable at the highest level. They were the better teams on the day and neither was a "smash and grab". As others have said, Tyrone played a chunk with 14 men and also tired late on, which wasn't surprising given the circumstances surrounding the game. Final margin of defeat flattered Kerry. Let's hope northern teams going to Croke Park in the weeks ahead don't have the small time inferiority complex you seem to have.

Tyrone won't for sure but after the very patchy performances of this summer I'm still not convinced. The first half against Monaghan was good, they showed a bit of spirit at least with 14 against Galway, there were actually some good spells against Westmeath until the late collapse, and Saturday was very good, albeit Donegal were not. They were also poor in parts against Monaghan and Westmeath, as they were in a subdued performance against Armagh. You would really want a much better basis than that going into an All Ireland quarter final, and even more so after Tyrone took 2022 off. Significant question marks over their ability to just go back up through the gears based on recent times, despite the oft quoted suggestion that Kerry bring the best out of Tyrone.

What we do know is that the quality is there and that Tyrone won't fear Kerry. It will be interesting for sure.

Who mentioned anything about northern inferiority complex because I certainly didn't. It just so happened that the 2 matches I brought up involved 2 Ulster teams and you turned it into an argument about inferiority complex yourself. I was basing both matches on the evidence of what I watched on the day and what both those sides have achieved since then (or haven't achieved) to back up the assertion that those performances weren't simply once offs.

Nobody would make the argument that either that Donegal 2014 team or that 2021 Tyrone team were a better side than the Dublin team or even the current Kerry side. Donegal totally ambushed Dublin tactically in the second half in 2014 after the Dubs could have had the game dead and buried early on and that defeat was the sole blemish on their copybook over an 8 year period. Kerry in 2021 were steamrolling everybody prior to that semi final but the Covid affair left them waiting in the sidelines for 5/6 weeks and sucked the life out of them. It was less of a smash and grab than the Dublin v Donegal 2014 match but it was still a result out of the blue given all the circumstances surrounding it. Kerry were a relatively young team and mentally fragile and Tyrone almost had a free shot to nothing and took full advantage. If Tyrone do go and back it up by beating Kerry again at the weekend then I'll revise my opinion but I can only base it on the evidence of what they have achieved since then and I see little that would lead me to believe that they are capable of it.     

seafoid

Tyrone inherited Down's attitude to Kerry. Ulster football was weak in the the 70s and 80s but otherwise the service has been decent since the 60s.

Quarterbackk

Interesting to see what Kerry do with  Paudie Clifford.  Meyler has got the better of this battle in recent times and that battle alone will have a big bearing on the game.  Mattie Donnelly also was outstanding in the league game and handled serious ball in every game since.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2023, 12:18:08 PM

Who mentioned anything about northern inferiority complex because I certainly didn't. It just so happened that the 2 matches I brought up involved 2 Ulster teams and you turned it into an argument about inferiority complex yourself. I was basing both matches on the evidence of what I watched on the day and what both those sides have achieved since then (or haven't achieved) to back up the assertion that those performances weren't simply once offs.

Nobody would make the argument that either that Donegal 2014 team or that 2021 Tyrone team were a better side than the Dublin team or even the current Kerry side. Donegal totally ambushed Dublin tactically in the second half in 2014 after the Dubs could have had the game dead and buried early on and that defeat was the sole blemish on their copybook over an 8 year period. Kerry in 2021 were steamrolling everybody prior to that semi final but the Covid affair left them waiting in the sidelines for 5/6 weeks and sucked the life out of them. It was less of a smash and grab than the Dublin v Donegal 2014 match but it was still a result out of the blue given all the circumstances surrounding it. Kerry were a relatively young team and mentally fragile and Tyrone almost had a free shot to nothing and took full advantage. If Tyrone do go and back it up by beating Kerry again at the weekend then I'll revise my opinion but I can only base it on the evidence of what they have achieved since then and I see little that would lead me to believe that they are capable of it.   

Kerry beat Clare, Tipp and Cork enroute to the 2021 AI semi. So not surprising that they were steamrolling. Tyrone had to deal with several players recovering, training with just 15 men for most of that time and dealing with intense scrutiny around conspiracy theories. Yet, for some reason, Kerry having to train and prepare for an extra two weeks was the worse situation to be in?

These Kerry and Tyrone teams have achieved the same number of finals and All-Irelands wins. Tyrone have been more inconsistent, but Kerry pretty have a by to at least the quarter finals every year. Tyrone have never had such luxury and every All-Ireland win has been hard fought.

yellowcard

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 27, 2023, 01:06:22 PM

Kerry beat Clare, Tipp and Cork enroute to the 2021 AI semi. So not surprising that they were steamrolling. Tyrone had to deal with several players recovering, training with just 15 men for most of that time and dealing with intense scrutiny around conspiracy theories. Yet, for some reason, Kerry having to train and prepare for an extra two weeks was the worse situation to be in?

These Kerry and Tyrone teams have achieved the same number of finals and All-Irelands wins. Tyrone have been more inconsistent, but Kerry pretty have a by to at least the quarter finals every year. Tyrone have never had such luxury and every All-Ireland win has been hard fought.

I don't really want to get drawn into the events around the whole Covid build up to that 2021 semi final again as they were debated to death at the time. I think this weekends games will answer a lot of those questions though with no excuses for either team this time.

ClubScene13

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2023, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 27, 2023, 01:06:22 PM

I don't really want to get drawn into the events around the whole Covid build up to that 2021 semi final again as they were debated to death at the time. I think this weekends games will answer a lot of those questions though with no excuses for either team this time.

Did it hurt that day YC?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Utterly bizarre to base your opinion on what Tyrone have achieved since and ignore what they actually did that summer and what they had been building towards for a few seasons prior to that with provincial championships, several All Ireland semi final appearances and an appearance in the final too, with a squad made up of several successful under age teams. Tyrone let Kerry off the hook in the 2019 semi, a couple of years down the line with more experience and crucial change in approach they got the job done. Suggestion it was some kind of bolt from the blue is ridiculous, it was a success years in the making. And Donegal in 2014 were a serious team, they absolutely dismantled the Dubs and forced them into a huge (and very successful) rethink about the road ahead. Those Tyrone and Donegal teams knew they could take on and beat anyone and with good reason. They didn't need a bolt 'from the blue', 'a smash and grab' or 'goals at the right time' (a particularly daft idea, when is the wrong time to score?). Small time thinking.

statto

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 27, 2023, 02:45:58 PM

Utterly bizarre to base your opinion on what Tyrone have achieved since and ignore what they actually did that summer and what they had been building towards for a few seasons prior to that with provincial championships, several All Ireland semi final appearances and an appearance in the final too, with a squad made up of several successful under age teams. Tyrone let Kerry off the hook in the 2019 semi, a couple of years down the line with more experience and crucial change in approach they got the job done. Suggestion it was some kind of bolt from the blue is ridiculous, it was a success years in the making. And Donegal in 2014 were a serious team, they absolutely dismantled the Dubs and forced them into a huge (and very successful) rethink about the road ahead. Those Tyrone and Donegal teams knew they could take on and beat anyone and with good reason. They didn't need a bolt 'from the blue', 'a smash and grab' or 'goals at the right time' (a particularly daft idea, when is the wrong time to score?). Small time thinking.

Kerry were 1/5 on to win the game, I expected them to do so but also expected Tyrone to give them their fill of it with Clifford ultimately being the difference.  His departure that day would have had a significant momentum swing in the game and result may have been different had he stayed on the pitch which we will never know. 

Tyrone were a decent side yes they won ulster and got to an AI final but Dublin were that far ahead of the pack there wouldn't been too many outside of Tyrone giving them a chance.  At the time it generally would have been viewed as Dublin/Kerry as the frontrunners and well ahead of the pack.  Tyrone did what they had to do to win the 2021 AI, but the stars certainly aligned for them that year on a few fronts.  Good teams make their own luck as they say. 

Lamh Dhearg Alba

That's a more balanced view of it and I wouldn't disagree with most of it. Dublin had dropped back a fair bit and left an opportunity, Mayo weren't at the same level they had been either. Tyrone had been consistently reaching the latter stages and had (have) some brilliant players, and with a crucial change in approach too they took their chance. It simply doesn't stand up for anyone to suggest they came from nowhere.

Clifford going off might have been crucial right enough. They missed a great goal chance in the first half too, that might have been crucial. Tyrone being reduced to 14 twice when other rather similar decisions weren't punished in the same way might have been crucial. Tyrone's covid hit buildup might have been crucial. We can argue those points, but Tyrone had been building for years and that summer, despite some serious handicaps, beat the reigning Ulster champions, the two other dominant Ulster sides of recent years, then beat Kerry and Mayo. The only side of note they didn't defeat was Dublin because they didn't play them.

imtommygunn

The thing though that 2021 showed is the belief Tyrone have in themselves and the fact that they know how to win games. For example for me in the final from 15 minutes in there was only one winner whether that penalty that was missed was scored or not. They know how to suffocate teams when they get going.

Under Harte they were great at that but it usually took them a run of games to get that going.

You need more than belief against Kerry to beat them but it takes belief to not get flustered when the likes of Clifford is wreaking havoc.

Fuzzman

With the new format this year I think it's been a very strange season so far with no team showing real good form.
Only Derry and Dublin remain unbeaten but with the Dubs having only drawn with the only Div 1 team they've met.

So many teams seem capable of beating each other as we've seen in the group stages and there has been an element of trying to get to the quarter finals with as little effort as possible or not showing too much of your hand.
A lot of talk about peaking at the right time, not coming in undercooked and can a team turn it on when needed.
Kerry have been getting to quarters and semis for years trying to peak for August football and Tyrone would appear to be trying to do the same this year with some very poor performances here and there.

I suppose Kerry will not be as naive as they were in 2021 where they seemed to be unprepared (again) for what Tyrone would throw at them. Until that game Kerry were scoring goals for fun whereas Tyrone couldn't buy a goal. That all changed that day.

We may have lost McKenna but we've gained two Canavans and Mattie seems to be back to his old self. So our forward line seems a lot more potent although our bench is weak in my eyes which was a huge factor in closing out games in 21.

Clifford is so far ahead of everyone else and if Kerry can find him with good ball he will win marks and score for fun.
I suppose it all comes down to how both teams play on the day but to me Tyrone aren't as bad as many "neutrals" think and maybe Kerry aren't as good as ye think either or at least haven't been so far.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: statto on June 27, 2023, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 27, 2023, 02:45:58 PM

Kerry were 1/5 on to win the game, I expected them to do so but also expected Tyrone to give them their fill of it with Clifford ultimately being the difference.  His departure that day would have had a significant momentum swing in the game and result may have been different had he stayed on the pitch which we will never know. 

Tyrone were a decent side yes they won ulster and got to an AI final but Dublin were that far ahead of the pack there wouldn't been too many outside of Tyrone giving them a chance.  At the time it generally would have been viewed as Dublin/Kerry as the frontrunners and well ahead of the pack.  Tyrone did what they had to do to win the 2021 AI, but the stars certainly aligned for them that year on a few fronts.  Good teams make their own luck as they say.

Kerry have always been heavy favourites any time they have played Tyrone and pretty much any team they play except for some of the time against the all conquering Dublin team. Tyrone and Kerry both got beaten well by Dublin in finals. The match between them was tight in 2019 and Tyrone definitely left that one behind them, though Kerry had beaten Tyrone well in the league that year.

Tyrone were underdogs in the semi and final. They were missing 5 players for the Ulster final and had to deal with difficult circumstances, to put it mildy, for the semi with several players still not right. Tyrone should have wrapped up things in normal time against Kerry and indeed in the first half of extra time, while also getting two black cards when Kerry should have also had similar. Clifford pulled up with cramp, which wasn't really fortuitous, it was most likely him not being well enough conditioned for such an intense game.

Tyrone beat Cavan (the Ulster champions), Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo to win the All-Ireland. So three Division 1 teams and Mayo who got promoted and were in the final the previous year. Kerry beat Cork (Munster champions), Limerick, Mayo, Dublin and Galway in 2022. That's two Division 1 teams, one who got relegated and one promoted division 2 team.

Why was Tyrone's win an aligning of the stars and not Kerry's?

blanketattack

Yeah, that Donegal team weren't really up to much as was shown in the final, but Tyrone in 2021 showed their worth in the final.