Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Well said!
I expect the 4 Quarter Finalists will be Mayowestros, Dublin, Galway and Derry.
The PQFs I expect to be Kerry, Tyrone, Ros, Monaghan home games v one of  Donegal, Kildare, Armagh, Cork.
Some possibility of Donegal beating Monaghan. Would be some craic IF Louth bt Kerry while Cork bet Mayowestros would mean Kerry out!
Similarly a Westmeath win over Tyrone and Armagh get something off Galway = Tyrone gone.
No more than Sligo taking a point off Dublin won't be happening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2023, 07:42:40 PM
Well said!
I expect the 4 Quarter Finalists will be Mayowestros, Dublin, Galway and Derry.
The PQFs I expect to be Kerry, Tyrone, Ros, Monaghan home games v one of  Donegal, Kildare, Armagh, Cork.

Some possibility of Donegal beating Monaghan. Would be some craic IF Louth bt Kerry while Cork bet Mayowestros would mean Kerry out!
Similarly a Westmeath win over Tyrone and Armagh get something off Galway = Tyrone gone.
No more than Sligo taking a point off Dublin won't be happening.

Agree with the part in bold. Donegal would have to score a lot as they most likely will concede a good bit. Difficult to see them becoming a defensively orientated team in space of a few weeks.
Is it plausible that Armagh will rest anyone who is borderline injured, as they effectively would have to bust their lungs to beat Galway by more than Tyrone beat Westmeath to get second in the group. They will be out again the next weekend no matter what.

seafoid

For Armagh it's bust a gut against Galway or potentially face Kerry next time out.
It's a big decision in a town called malice

Eire90

if cork take a hammering from mayo and louth beat kerry say by 2 points would  kerry not get third on better point difference than cork.

seafoid

This weekend is effectively the start of jeopardy.

orchardarmy02

Preliminary quarter final draw Monday morning?

blanketattack

Quote from: Eire90 on June 15, 2023, 09:32:19 AM
if cork take a hammering from mayo and louth beat kerry say by 2 points would  kerry not get third on better point difference than cork.

If Kerry lose by 2 and Cork lose by 5 and Kerry outscore Cork by 4, (or outscore by 3 but outscore in no. of goals by 1) Kerry get 3rd.

sam03/05

Can teams play each other who met in previous rounds
For example can tyrone now draw Monaghan again?

GAABoardMod5

Preliminary Quarter-Finals

24-25.06.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Four Games)

The four second-placed teams from Round 1 shall be drawn to play at home against the four third-placed teams, subject in the first instance to the avoidance of repeat Provincial Final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round 1.

Home Venues shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee.

Quarter-Finals

01-02.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Four Games)

The four first-place teams from Round 1 shall be drawn to play against the four Preliminary Quarter-Finals winners, subject in the first instance to the avoidance of repeat Provincial Final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round 1.

Semi-Finals

15-16.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Two Games)
The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a draw, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship, where possible.

Final

30.07.2023 (Sun) | (Replay: 12.08.2023 (Sat))
(One Game)

The winners of the All-Ireland Semi-Finals shall meet in the All-Ireland Final.

Note: All-Ireland Final will have Extra time in the original fixture and will be winner on the day in the event of a replay only.

Venues

Venues for the All-Ireland Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final shall be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Winner on the Day

The All-Ireland Football Preliminary Quarter-Finals, Quarter-Finals & Semi-Finals will be winner on the day.

restorepride

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 17, 2023, 10:14:25 PM
Preliminary Quarter-Finals

24-25.06.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Four Games)

The four second-placed teams from Round 1 shall be drawn to play at home against the four third-placed teams, subject in the first instance to the avoidance of repeat Provincial Final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round 1.

Home Venues shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee.

Quarter-Finals

01-02.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Four Games)

The four first-place teams from Round 1 shall be drawn to play against the four Preliminary Quarter-Finals winners, subject in the first instance to the avoidance of repeat Provincial Final pairings and where possible repeat pairings from Round 1.

Semi-Finals

15-16.07.2023 (Sat/Sun)
(Two Games)
The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a draw, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship, where possible.

Final

30.07.2023 (Sun) | (Replay: 12.08.2023 (Sat))
(One Game)

The winners of the All-Ireland Semi-Finals shall meet in the All-Ireland Final.

Note: All-Ireland Final will have Extra time in the original fixture and will be winner on the day in the event of a replay only.

Venues

Venues for the All-Ireland Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final shall be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Winner on the Day

The All-Ireland Football Preliminary Quarter-Finals, Quarter-Finals & Semi-Finals will be winner on the day.

Interesting.

seafoid

"The winners of the All-Ireland Semi-Finals shall meet in the All-Ireland Final."

Well blow me down with a feather.

restorepride

"The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a draw"  - is this accurate? 

Hound

Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2023, 09:24:58 AM
"The four quarter-final winners shall play against each other in the Semi-Final based on a draw"  - is this accurate?
What's your concern re why it might not be accurate?
The old rules re rotation of provincial champions can't apply as provincial champs may not make the QF, or you could get two provincial champs playing each other in the QF.

GAABoardMod5

I presume it to mean there is no link between groups of provincial winners.  Previous competition rules were "the Ulster champions, or the team that beat them, will play Munster winners, or the team that beats them".

No such words written this year, except teams from the same group cannot meet again until the final...at least that's my reading of it. 

I've been wrong before though...

restorepride

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 18, 2023, 09:44:19 AM

I presume it to mean there is no link between groups of provincial winners.  Previous competition rules were "the Ulster champions, or the team that beat them, will play Munster winners, or the team that beats them".

No such words written this year, except teams from the same group cannot meet again until the final...at least that's my reading of it. 

I've been wrong before though...
I wasn't aware that had been removed - thought semi-finals were still pre-designated, provincially.  Thanks.