2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Who will want to retire when they will be playing seniolr championship hurling next year. With a team that is improving and getting more confidence all the time?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: MasterJ on July 03, 2019, 02:59:19 PM
Players who should be joining the seniors next year:
James Keyes
Brandon McGinly
Joseph Phelan
Liam Senior
Players who should be on it:
Leigh Bergin
Ciaran Collier
But the qustion is who will retire?

Not too many if any at all. They are very young in general. Matt Whelan has probably the most miles on the clock but given the shape he is in and how he is hurling I would be amazed if he retired. Neil Foyle is still under 30. Joe Phelan is in his 30s too I think but would say he has a few years left in him too. Willie Dunphy is another elder statesman but again seems favoured in the setup. Personally I would love to see everyone stay onboard and fight like animals to make sure that these younger lads have to improve hugely to get their place. The likes of Keyes, Comerford and McGinley have a few years of physical development before they are ready to step up.

merman

Leigh Bergin would be a huge addition and I'd expect him back.
I'd hope Ciaran Collier, Sean Downey and Dwane Palmer would recommit and James Ryan still has something to offer.
Ronan Broderick, Joe Campion, Stephen Finan and Stephen Phelan would all be welcome additions too but they haven't shown any inclination to suggest they would.

From the 20s, I think Diarmaid Conway might be a bit of a bolter. He was excellent with the minors a couple of years ago and there is probably a spot for a corner back.

MasterJ

I think Phelan had it tough on Sunday. He has played every game league and championship as vice-captain and he was expecting to start on Sunday and he came on for 3 minutes. It is harsh.

Don Draper

Quote from: MasterJ on July 03, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
I think Phelan had it tough on Sunday. He has played every game league and championship as vice-captain and he was expecting to start on Sunday and he came on for 3 minutes. It is harsh.
Life is harsh.

BobbyBoucherJr

https://youtu.be/I9c7w4TdTas

Bit of insight in to the Laois hurling set up

burdizzo

Nice one. He's certainly not talking up our chances!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: MasterJ on July 03, 2019, 08:50:55 PM

You have to pick players on form not on reputation or because they are normally picked. That is the difference in this team. 3 years ago we didn't have a corner back and now our vice-captain can't get keep his place.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: merman on July 03, 2019, 05:41:10 PM
Leigh Bergin would be a huge addition and I'd expect him back.
I'd hope Ciaran Collier, Sean Downey and Dwane Palmer would recommit and James Ryan still has something to offer.
Ronan Broderick, Joe Campion, Stephen Finan and Stephen Phelan would all be welcome additions too but they haven't shown any inclination to suggest they would.

From the 20s, I think Diarmaid Conway might be a bit of a bolter. He was excellent with the minors a couple of years ago and there is probably a spot for a corner back.

All good names. Would be good to get Cian Taylor back in too.

Has Sean Downey left the setup or is he just injured?

merman

Downey is in America for the summer.
Think he left the panel after the league.

burdizzo

James Ryan would be a good addition, but I think it'd be hard for him to commit - living and working in Dublin now, I believe.
Would Cahir Healy have another year in him? He has said he'd like to give it another year w/ Laois, though whether he meant for the footballers or hurlers wasn't clear.

MasterJ

Looking at the minor team. Who is potential for the future?
Dan Delaney
Tadgh Cuddy
David Dooley
Maybe
Any others?

smcder

Seasons not over yet. Why not wait on talking about who's not on the panel till it is.

Sir Alex7

Apart from de names already mentioned who would add to de panel cillian mcevoy(bally pickas), pj daly(clonad), seamus fitzpatrick(ballinakill) could also be worth looking out for.. David connolly, Frank Flanagan and ciaran mcevoy as well.. I think Flanagan and connolly might have being involved earlier in de year with this years panel

Mossy Bruce

So far, the only media I know of that’ll be covering Sunday’s match is Midlands radio. I am thankful they will be covering it but jeez you’d think there’d be some kind of video coverage for a AI quarter final. Has anyone heard anything different?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!