Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 16, 2019, 10:17:03 PM
The consent mechanism is baffling.

Only way it would work would be an NI only referendum.

Otherwise the petition of concern in Stormont means one side will dictate over the other - and the side that wins is dependent on whether the default is to stick with status quo or not.
i usse an speelchekor

mouview

Quote from: uimhr ocht on October 17, 2019, 09:39:18 AM
The DUP wrecked Mays deal and now johnsons deal, the power they have is ridiculous south belfast,north belfast,east belfast,those areas could easily get rid of three DUP mps is a must at the next election.Hope there will be an extension and the DUP will get a alot of stick for not leaving on 31 oct.

No surprise that Ulster yet again says 'No'. I'm sure the ERG are fairly glaring at them this morning. The rabid right-wing English press can go after Arlene and Nigel instead of Leo for a change.

tyrone08

I have 2 theories on the DUP. 1 is that they will continue to shout No No No until the last minute and then finally back the deal. They will say the fought to the end and got necessary consession from the government

2 is that they realise they are in a no win situation and will continue to oppose any deal in the hope of a ref to cancel brexit. Then they can walk out with their heads held and say we fought until the end.

sensethetone

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 17, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
I have 2 theories on the DUP. 1 is that they will continue to shout No No No until the last minute and then finally back the deal. They will say the fought to the end and got necessary consession from the government

2 is that they realise they are in a no win situation and will continue to oppose any deal in the hope of a ref to cancel brexit. Then they can walk out with their heads held and say we fought until the end.

I would believe in the second theory, Boris more or less implied if your not for his Brexit plans your against Brexit.

screenexile

AGREED!!!!

Let the fun and games begin . . . nobody's f**king seen it yet there's going to be pandemonium now!!

Jeepers Creepers

Did Reese Mogg not say that he would be surprised if the DUP won't back this deal?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2019, 10:41:49 AM
AGREED!!!!

Let the fun and games begin . . . nobody's f**king seen it yet there's going to be pandemonium now!!

Not so fast - DUP not on board  ;D ;D ;D

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bannside

Mental. EU and Boris going live saying deal has been agreed. DUP saying its not done yet! More fun and games!!

Rossfan

Are the DUPUDA in overall charge ir what?😃
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

markl121

Deal done but sky news saying it won't be backed by DUP. Will likely struggle to get through the commons. Wile mess.

GetOverTheBar

It's a deal.

Am I mistaken in thinking the DUP 10 votes are probably irrelevant since the overwhelming amount of UK MPs wanted a deal?

Depending on the make up and text obviously, but shouldn't it get through if vaguely acceptable?

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 17, 2019, 11:05:07 AM
It's a deal.

Am I mistaken in thinking the DUP 10 votes are probably irrelevant since the overwhelming amount of UK MPs wanted a deal?

Depending on the make up and text obviously, but shouldn't it get through if vaguely acceptable?

From what I've read, the right wing of the Tories won't accept a deal unless the DUP are happy with it. So they have more power than their 10 seats would suggest.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on October 17, 2019, 08:50:54 AM
DUP now not on board. They really have painted themselves into a corner. Who knows where we will end up.
It looks like a repeat of the ILA but on a far bigger scale. The DUP insiders negotiate a deal but then get cold feet because they are afraid of the reaction from their voters.
The DNA of the party is the problem.   

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-dup-s-bizarre-aloofness-towards-its-voters-threatens-brexit-efforts-1.4052874
A small team of senior DUP figures negotiate what they clearly believe to be the best outcome possible given the circumstances, notwithstanding previous opportunities wasted, but the outcome is still sprung on colleagues and supporters. Even those not surprised are still shocked.
Chief whip Jeffrey Donaldson had dropped hints to the media about a limited regulatory sea border but that was the extent of the forewarning of the shift in position on the backstop.
The DUP's main plan to present a Brexit deal as victory is to parade a large bag of money back to Northern Ireland. But as Sinn Féin knew 25 years ago, a parade without preparation risks becoming a farce.
There have been three years to engage with the public since the EU referendum and two years since the UK government first agreed to the backstop. The DUP could have spent that time bracing its voters for the inevitable compromise, owning the concept of special status and finessing the distinction between a sea border and a border administered beside the sea. Instead, it portrayed any unique treatment for Northern Ireland as the end of the union. There will be no slinking around this to carp from the sidelines – the DUP is at the heart of it, and always has been.
Centre-ground supporters of the backstop promoted it as the best of both worlds, a halfway house between the UK and the EU that could give Northern Ireland a long-term future. But it is barely plausible the DUP can get away with the cynicism of suddenly claiming to have saved the union by weakening it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tyrone08

Labour have stated this morning that they will back the deal if if includes a people's referendum