When will club football start?

Started by Smokin Joe, February 10, 2021, 09:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty4Sam

"The vaccination roll-out will directly influence when our games can fully return to normal and this is not forecasted to be complete until late 2021. Our ability to generate income will remain challenged and may not return to previous levels until Summer 2022 at the earliest." A quote from GAA finance director yesterday. I just can't see the government or GAA allowing thousands of unvaccinated 18-35 year olds mix playing close contact sports anytime soon. Something that not a lot of people are talking about is that this time, we are opening up to a more contagious dominant variant in the British one.
Can honestly see only county football being allowed anytime soon with testing for players in place, not sure if that's viable?

ottoman

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 17, 2021, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2021, 11:15:01 AM
I suspect its heading that way alright.
Tom Ryan musing yesterday that the NFL and NHL might have to be dropped.
Add in the lack of protest from HQ about losing "elite" status and comments about being in no rush to resume activity etc.
Also a number of 2020 Club Championships unfinished.
Quite possibly end up with a Calendar of
May - finish 2020 Club Championships
June -August Club Championships
September - November Inter County.

Could be another wave in the autumn so I wouldn't count on it.

Jasus if we don't have a very high number of the population vaccinated by the Autumn we are doing something very wrong!

mackers

Quote from: Ty4Sam on February 17, 2021, 02:01:23 PM
"The vaccination roll-out will directly influence when our games can fully return to normal and this is not forecasted to be complete until late 2021. Our ability to generate income will remain challenged and may not return to previous levels until Summer 2022 at the earliest." A quote from GAA finance director yesterday. I just can't see the government or GAA allowing thousands of unvaccinated 18-35 year olds mix playing close contact sports anytime soon. Something that not a lot of people are talking about is that this time, we are opening up to a more contagious dominant variant in the British one.
Can honestly see only county football being allowed anytime soon with testing for players in place, not sure if that's viable?
I presume that that quote refers to significant crowds going to games.  It doesn't refer to the playing of games. Think you're being overly-pessimistic there.  As ottoman has just posted a hugely significant part of the vaccination programme will be done by the autumn.  It must be very tempting for CP to stall the return of the inter-county game until then to see if crowds (even limited crowds) can be admitted to grounds.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

DuffGael

All adults to be vaccinated in the North by end of May.  Sports possibly back at end of March, will we be allowed to start before the 26 though.  Who knows

themac_23

Quote from: DuffGael on February 22, 2021, 02:28:49 PM
All adults to be vaccinated in the North by end of May.  Sports possibly back at end of March, will we be allowed to start before the 26 though.  Who knows

I think it would be extremely unfair If the North cant start earlier for club football. I know lot of lads ive been talking to are gonna go play soccer when they can. apparently soccer and rugby clubs have been informally told that games will be given the go ahead from 10th April. if we dont let the GAA season start then there will be a lot of younger lads might just stick at the soccer.

Rossfan

Careful.....
A few purists might not be happy with you thinking the 6 Cos should be different. :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Exactly what I was wondering myself. You would hope that they would allow the 6 to start if permitted but who knows.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 22, 2021, 03:41:42 PM
Careful.....
A few purists might not be happy with you thinking the 6 Cos should be different. :P

From a club scene it should go ahead, but with the Intercounty teams, none should be started over another, the only problem being the collective training will be allowed to take place in the North, whether that is permitted due to insurance purposes or not is another problem!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2021, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 22, 2021, 03:41:42 PM
Careful.....

From a club scene it should go ahead, but with the Intercounty teams, none should be started over another, the only problem being the collective training will be allowed to take place in the North, whether that is permitted due to insurance purposes or not is another problem!

Thats it, start the club get people moving and active, it would be a major own goal if the GAA tried to say we cant start up here till the south is ok to go. I know its maybe a stupid question but is the GAA in the rest of the UK governed by Croke too in regards to the no activity etc?

Mikhailov

Last year 2020, the 26 counties started before the Northern counties and allowed challenge games to take place before NI executive allowed competitive sport in NI. It was all to do with the 12th July and to keep everyone on the other side happy, GAA challenge games only got the go ahead from 13 July onwards but had already got the all clear in the 26 from the 29 June. Sure Northern club teams were travelling south to get challenge games in the first two weeks of July as they couldn't do it in the North. Clubs were all training from the same date agreed from CP in mid June but the dates from then onwards regards contact training, challenge games and competitive games all differed depending whether you were in NI or elsewhere.

seafoid

Club will be after county

Meanwhile thar lear
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2021/02/22/10000-fans-allowed-back-sports-grounds-may-17/

The Premier League will welcome back crowds for the season finale in May under Boris Johnson's roadmap to release British sport permanently from lockdown. 
All sports welcome back 10,000 spectators from May 17, with the Wembley FA Cup final two days' earlier understood to be firmly in the frame as a final test event.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TabClear

Quote from: themac_23 on February 22, 2021, 03:05:57 PM

I think it would be extremely unfair If the North cant start earlier for club football. I know lot of lads ive been talking to are gonna go play soccer when they can. apparently soccer and rugby clubs have been informally told that games will be given the go ahead from 10th April. if we dont let the GAA season start then there will be a lot of younger lads might just stick at the soccer.

That could be a massive issue. I would imagine the soccer leagues will run things over their traditional "off season" of May-July to try to catch up/re-engage etc given how long everything has been shut down. Given that is when the GAA is normally is in full swing and this year in all likelihood trying to get matches run to  try to make up for the late start we could see some major conflicts.

Blowitupref

Club football back to level 3 restrictions. It will be the summer before such restrictions are in place. Inter County can go ahead in level 4 restrictions.

A possibility of

NFL and NHL - May and June
Club county championships July, August, September

All Ireland football and hurling championships with some supporters at games in October, November, December.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

South Laois man

If everyone who wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated by September, why not full stadiums by October or November?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: South Laois man on February 24, 2021, 04:07:33 PM
If everyone who wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated by September, why not full stadiums by October or November?

So the first vaccine its takes three weeks for it to work (apparently) then depending when you get the next jab (12 weeks up here) then you are 'covered' but again only 3 weeks after that!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea