Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Gaelic Players Association Releases

Statement on behalf of Cathal McCarron, Tyrone

Cathal McCarron and the Tyrone senior football management would like to inform the national media that Cathal is currently working on his personal fitness under a strength and conditioning coach with a view to returning to full training with the Tyrone squad when they regroup next month.

While conveying this positive news we would like to point out that Cathal will not be engaging with media in any capacity for the foreseeable future.

On behalf of Cathal, the Tyrone squad and management, the GPA would kindly ask you to respect Cathal's need to focus on his recovery and his return to football.

Bensars

Quote from: TF15 on November 07, 2014, 03:09:04 PM
I think its more to do with the players rather than Harte that things have regressed. At the end of the day how many chances has a lot of these fringe players to get to they put down two good performances together. Suffocate their development?? The players aren't making it easy for him, no consistency whatsoever! Yes he probably makes it worse by changing the team regularly but boys like Kyle Coney and the forwards in general continue to dissapoint time after time and show no signs of developing any kind of consistency. They simply can't put two good games back to back. The group of the 00's was special, couldn't name 3 of the players under 28 who have the character of the men in them teams.

In fairness to the forwards ( especially the full forward line ) it must be nightmare to play in.

Handpass central- goalkeeper to full back out to corner back- handpass back to full back- out to wing half back- back into centre- back out to wing half back- hand pass to wnghalf forward- hand pass to centre- another hand pass across the line- then all the way across the 40 yard line if not backwards.

By this stage the oppisition have set up camp.  Last year more shooting oppurtunities were created for Mattie Donnelly and half backs than were for the full forward line.

Contrast that to 10 years ago- the ball played fast and direct and ended with a shooter-  the ball broken or possession gained and a fast counter attack with decent balls into space for the full forward line. Aprox 4 or 5 men in possession moving the ball 100 yds at pace compared to now with 10 men having hands on the ball and moving it 40-50 yards slowly.

Its hard enough for some of these young fellas to make the breakthrough at senior county level without having to play in a set up that is designed to hold possession.

These young players take some of the responsibility but ultimatley the style that has developed is instructed from the sideline !

TF15

Kieran McGeary of Pomeroy should get a look. Playing CHF in a St Mary's sigerson team that has beaten UUJ, DCU and QUB in Ryan Cup and from reports he is playing very well. Perhaps wait to see how he gets on with Tyrone U21's first though.

ose 14

did i hear the mcnulty from dungannon and dwyane quinn from clonoe have been asked to join the training panel. like both of them physical and direct. badly needed physicality weve turned into soft lateral handpassing jessies.

superstar_

John McCullagh from Greencastle also asked to attend a trial.

Archie Mitchell

O'Neill and Penrose call it a day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/30050584

2 great servants for Tyrone. O'Neill especially was a joy to watch when injury free, scored some fantastic points down the years.

God14

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 14, 2014, 12:07:41 PM
O'Neill and Penrose call it a day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/30050584

2 great servants for Tyrone. O'Neill especially was a joy to watch when injury free, scored some fantastic points down the years.

Big loss for Tyrone, however there is a real opportunity for some of the young lads coming into the panel. And no more excuses for some of the existing fringe players of recent years too.

Tyrone Gaa

Great players in their day, however they didnt play much last year and maybe the decision was made for them.  Exceptional talents and god only knows how good O'Neill could have been if he managed to stay injury free.  Stevie was one of the greatest
Living the dream!!!

Fuzzman

Watching Stevie take 10 points of Francie was the highlight for me although he scored some great goals over the years.
Always annoyed me how Refs would tend to make exceptions for great players like Stevie rather than just giving the free.
However I suppose that did come back to serve us well n 2005 when we got that last free

Was this the moment or was it a different one

Some of the points he kicked in Croker from crazy angles was a joy to behold

Anyone got his total score tally?

The Bearded One

His points v Dublin under the lights in Croke park that night was something special. A fit Stephen O'Neill was some addition to the Tyrone cause and it's just a pity that injury robbed us of his services more often than not.

A ball winner and finisher, strong as an Ox and bravery to match.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Fuzzman

rrhf

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 14, 2014, 04:07:37 PM
Watching Stevie take 10 points of Francie was the highlight for me although he scored some great goals over the years.
Always annoyed me how Refs would tend to make exceptions for great players like Stevie rather than just giving the free.
However I suppose that did come back to serve us well n 2005 when we got that last free

Was this the moment or was it a different one

Some of the points he kicked in Croker from crazy angles was a joy to behold

Anyone got his total score tally?
did my keever ever learn to tackle

Redhand Santa

The time was probably right for both players to go. They've given a lot to Tyrone but given age and miles on clock its probably unrealistic to expect them to get back to their best. Stevie O'Neill at his peak was a top top player and an absolute joy to watch. It's a shame his career was blighted so match by injury as we didn't get to see him at his best near often enough. Penrose gave a lot to the cause too and had a good impact on the 2008 All Ireland winning year as well as the minor title in 01.

On a different note will Cathal McCarron be able to play for Tyrone in the championship next year before taking part in the club championship? Does that rule only apply when you leave your native county? If it did apply to him he'll definitely hope for an early club championship next year.

Will be a nice way to start 2015 with a trip to an improving Armagh team on the first day out. Sounds as if work is already been put in for next year and its going to be needed. Definitely a big year for Harte. Considerable improvement needed and if doesnt happen his position will no doubt be under threat. But I think he deserves another go at it and hopefully can prove the doubters wrong - you don't win 6 All Irelands, multiple ulsters, ulster club championships, county championships etc by being a bad manager that some have painted on here and it certainly wasn't with one group of players as some try to make out. People can point to 3 or 4 bad years recently but he had a number of bad years with the minors before getting it right.

tyroneman

First time in a long while MH has real pressure on him I imagine. Previous poor years were assuaged by him having a few years left on the contract ...but now he's in his final year and coming off possibly our worst season in over a decade.....definite improvement needed