Derry v Donegal, Sunday 27th May, Celtic Park

Started by POBreaslain, May 21, 2018, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POBreaslain

Really looking forward to this weekend's game in Celtic Park. I'm expecting Derry to put up more of a challenge than Cavan did. Hopefully we can make some improvements to our defence as that was one of the things that was highlighted in the last game. It would be good if Paddy McGrath and McNellis were match-fit too. Any word on any further injuries?

oakleaflad

Quote from: POBreaslain on May 21, 2018, 11:11:20 AM
Really looking forward to this weekend's game in Celtic Park. I'm expecting Derry to put up more of a challenge than Cavan did. Hopefully we can make some improvements to our defence as that was one of the things that was highlighted in the last game. It would be good if Paddy McGrath and McNellis were match-fit too. Any word on any further injuries?
Not really sure why?

POBreaslain

With Derry being at home, Celtic Park being a tight pitch and the Slaughtneil players back into the setup I just figured that they'd put it up to us. I was kind of surprised how much space Cavan gave us to be honest. Their lack of tackling was surprising.

thebuzz

It's been a long time since we beat Donegal in the Championship. I'd be happy if we were even competitive before heading for the qualifiers.

JGDoire

Times have changed for Derry sadly.  I cannot see us winning. I too would be happy if we made a game of it then into the qualifiers :-(

J70

It's amazing - Derry lorded it over us from 93-98, winning four finals at our expense. We couldn't handle Tohill. Since then, we've beaten them in the championship in 02, 06, 09, 11, 12, 14 and 15. One Paddy Bradley inspired win in 08 is all Derry have to show. It was quite a tense rivalry at one point, with no love lost, including between McEniff and Coleman.

We should win on paper, but we are no great shakes at the moment either, with a lot of inexperienced players who were hammered out the gate twice last year, by Tyrone and Galway. If Derry funnel back and get organized with some actual tackles and pressure brought to bear, unlike Cavan who scarcely laid a finger on us (apart from the seemingly obligatory high, late, tackle on Ryan McHugh), they could make a game of it. I wouldn't be taking anything for granted.

shawshank

Mc Erlain has demonstrated to date that he cannot coach a defensive structure. from the minors last year to the senior league campaign this year you could drive a bus literally down the middle of his teams. A fairly comfortable win for Donegal.

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2018, 04:06:19 PM
It's amazing - Derry lorded it over us from 93-98, winning four finals at our expense. We couldn't handle Tohill. Since then, we've beaten them in the championship in 02, 06, 09, 11, 12, 14 and 15. One Paddy Bradley inspired win in 08 is all Derry have to show. It was quite a tense rivalry at one point, with no love lost, including between McEniff and Coleman.

We should win on paper, but we are no great shakes at the moment either, with a lot of inexperienced players who were hammered out the gate twice last year, by Tyrone and Galway. If Derry funnel back and get organized with some actual tackles and pressure brought to bear, unlike Cavan who scarcely laid a finger on us (apart from the seemingly obligatory high, late, tackle on Ryan McHugh), they could make a game of it. I wouldn't be taking anything for granted.

J70, it was only two finals. 93 & 98 we won

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: shawshank on May 22, 2018, 11:16:23 PM
Mc Erlain has demonstrated to date that he cannot coach a defensive structure. from the minors last year to the senior league campaign this year you could drive a bus literally down the middle of his teams. A fairly comfortable win for Donegal.

He's probably counting  the  national league finals of 95 & 96

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 22, 2018, 11:38:38 PM

And excluding three defeats in four years prior to 1993.

Keyser soze

Doubt if Donegal will even need to get into 2nd gear tbh. Championship used to be all about belief, the underdog having a puncher's chance in a straight knockout. Sadly the way the game has evolved that excitement is no longer there.

J70

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 22, 2018, 11:38:38 PM

Yes. Those were games neither team wanted to lose. One of the years there was a three hand pass limit in place for the league and Derry showed us up, channeling us into cup de sacs with no hand pass outlet. Thankfully the GAA dumped the experiment after that league.

oakleaflad