Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: mattockranger on February 04, 2009, 04:55:53 PM
Courtney skelped donnelly by the looks of things

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/336379/5000/

Who in their right mind put that clown Hughes in charge of an important Sigerson match like this?

orangeman

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 05:10:06 PM

Who in their right mind put that clown Hughes in charge of an important Sigerson match like this?

Respect !!!! He's one of the top refs in the country at the moment. And it does look they boxed in front of him - so what else was he supposed to do ?.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:11:37 PM

Respect !!!! He's one of the top refs in the country at the moment. And it does look they boxed in front of him - so what else was he supposed to do ?.

You must be joking.  Sigerson football had always been played on edge and rarely ruled with cards like this.  It may not be right but has helped make Sigerson what it is.

orangeman

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 05:15:01 PM

You must be joking.  Sigerson football had always been played on edge and rarely ruled with cards like this.  It may not be right but has helped make Sigerson what it is.

I couldn't agree more but the powers that be don't want this sort of football anymore - they want non contact, a pile of scores, good behaviour - a wee bit like basketball I suppose. So you can't really blame the referees.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:16:48 PM

I couldn't agree more but the powers that be don't want this sort of football anymore - they want non contact, a pile of scores, good behaviour - a wee bit like basketball I suppose. So you can't really blame the referees.

The referees who will go places, and get the biggest games, are those who ref with a modicum of common sense, combined with an application of the rules.  The best games at the weekend were those reffed by referees who did not apply the new rules completely.  Referees like Hughes, and he's not alone in this, have no common sense and in reality will go nowhere.

Malone Aristocrat

awful performance from the queens men today... just did not get going at all.

their awfulness was only surpassed by hughes, who is one of the worst refs refereeing outside his own county, in the country.

as bad as he was though, it wasn't the reason queens lost. poly were far the better team

Slapdash

Not sure if you were at the match Orangeman but Hughes cannot be absconded simply because of 'the powers that be' ........... I'm not even talking about the sendings off (though Courtney's looked highly dubious from my view,) but all a player had to do whilst in possession was run in to an opposing player/s (preferably a group) and they were given a free.  Irritated me all game long and I'm sure many people would share a similar sentiment?  Agree with you about how they seem to want football to evolve though.

orangeman

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 05:24:20 PM

The referees who will go places, and get the biggest games, are those who ref with a modicum of common sense, combined with an application of the rules.  The best games at the weekend were those reffed by referees who did not apply the new rules completely.  Referees like Hughes, and he's not alone in this, have no common sense and in reality will go nowhere.

Again you're right but Hughes didn't make up the rules and nowhere does it say that refs should not apply them fully but should instead use a bit of commonsense - Hughes wouldn't have been a fan of mine either after last year's Tyrone v Westmeath game - but to be fair to him I've seen him referee a fair few games since and he was ok.

Carbery

Is Padraig Hughes not one of Ireland's top referees?

ExiledGael

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 05:24:20 PM

Hughes wouldn't have been a fan of mine either after last year's Tyrone v Westmeath game

What did you do?

orangeman

Quote from: Carbery on February 04, 2009, 05:33:53 PM
Is Padraig Hughes not one of Ireland's top referees?

Going by the games he's getting, yes -

Going by today's performance - obviously no.

Joxer

[Who done all the scoring for UUJ today?

mattockranger

lads lets move away from talking about the ref and more on the game itself

who is theGoalie and  two corner backs on the jordanstown back line that played so well?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

lucan

does anyone know what happened queens. perhaps overconfidence  UUJ played more direct foot ball and controlled midfield

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: lucan on February 04, 2009, 06:29:05 PM
does anyone know what happened queens. perhaps overconfidence  UUJ played more direct foot ball and controlled midfield

They got beat.   ;)