Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: ardchieftain on May 27, 2019, 10:06:20 PM
Is this game on tv? I'll be kicking my heels in Berlin with my flight at 10pm. There's plenty of Irish pubs there so hopefully i get a chance to see the game.

Don't think so unfortunately.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

delgany

Deferred coverage on BBC 2  at 7pm   

you take er!

Definitely a tricky assignment for Armagh. of the starting 15 v Down I'd say only 3-4 lads tops played to their potential. freakishly almost every sub who came on performed excellently (bar sheridan who got injured) and it was this that got us over the line. Having a strong bench is essential in championship but we'll need more from the players that start. We def have an issue seeing games out which would leave it that even if we're 6/7 ahead at any stage Cavan will still be confident of pegging us back which is worrying. Cant call it - whoever manages the game better on the daywill come out of it.

lurganblue

I'd be surprised if we don't see Morgan, Shields and Soup start this time.  Also Grimley and Murnin if they are fit enough to play.

Armagh will start as underdogs for this one and I think that might actually help us a little.  The pressure of getting a win in Ulster has been lifted.  Hopefully they are able to express themselves more. 

Westside

Armagh with a far superior forward line should be very confident here. Cavan looked like Monaghan was their Ulster Final and now matter how much they tell themselves 'it'll all be for nothing if we don't get to the final' it will be very hard to reach that same level of ferocity they managed in the first half against Monaghan.

Armagh's defence is a bit suspect but I think they should have enough to deal with Madden and the midfielders/half forwards who rotate in there to help him out.

If Cavan can keep it tight at the back, get a bit of a lead to hold onto and keep their discipline and composure then they could do it. If Armagh blitz us for a period I don't think we'll have the firepower to catch them.

Fully expect our discipline issues to raise their ugly head and sparks to fly in this game.

Main Street

Quote from: Angelo on May 27, 2019, 10:17:01 PM
Is this game on tv? I'll be kicking my heels in Berlin with my flight at 10pm. There's plenty of Irish pubs there so hopefully i get a chance to see the game.

Ive watched GAA games at The Lír  irish bar, near Tiergarten, pretty central.
This game is a bit late 8pm (berlin time),  if your flight out of Berlin is at 10pm, you have no chance.
Rte radio 7pm will have to do.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on May 28, 2019, 05:05:49 PM
Armagh with a far superior forward line should be very confident here. Cavan looked like Monaghan was their Ulster Final and now matter how much they tell themselves 'it'll all be for nothing if we don't get to the final' it will be very hard to reach that same level of ferocity they managed in the first half against Monaghan.

Armagh's defence is a bit suspect but I think they should have enough to deal with Madden and the midfielders/half forwards who rotate in there to help him out.

If Cavan can keep it tight at the back, get a bit of a lead to hold onto and keep their discipline and composure then they could do it. If Armagh blitz us for a period I don't think we'll have the firepower to catch them.

Fully expect our discipline issues to raise their ugly head and sparks to fly in this game.

A superior forward line, probably. Far Superior - not so sure. Armagh have been in Div 3 for a number of years and did ok in Div 2. Cavan have been in Div 1 for 2 of the past 3 years. I think we should be stronger in midfield and our backs would be much better than Downs. We conceded I think only 3 goals in Div 1, one of which should not have been allowed and we didn't really give Monaghan a sniff of goal either. So I think if Cavan can keep goals out then we can win this by 3 points as Armagh look quite loose in defence. Of course McGeeney could suprise us and play a 13 men behind the ball game and that would be something different to consider. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Armagh won but I tend to agree with the bookies.

ardchieftain

Quote from: Main Street on May 28, 2019, 11:02:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 27, 2019, 10:17:01 PM

Ive watched GAA games at The Lír  irish bar, near Tiergarten, pretty central.
This game is a bit late 8pm (berlin time),  if your flight out of Berlin is at 10pm, you have no chance.
Rte radio 7pm will have to do.

Looks like radio the only option then. Think i'll avoid the result and just watch it when i get home.

As for the game itself, it's too difficult to call, don't rule out a draw.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on May 29, 2019, 11:17:37 AM

A superior forward line, probably. Far Superior - not so sure. Armagh have been in Div 3 for a number of years and did ok in Div 2. Cavan have been in Div 1 for 2 of the past 3 years. I think we should be stronger in midfield and our backs would be much better than Downs. We conceded I think only 3 goals in Div 1, one of which should not have been allowed and we didn't really give Monaghan a sniff of goal either. So I think if Cavan can keep goals out then we can win this by 3 points as Armagh look quite loose in defence. Of course McGeeney could suprise us and play a 13 men behind the ball game and that would be something different to consider. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Armagh won but I tend to agree with the bookies.

What did you think of the midfield performance against Monaghan Itchy? I thought we were dominated and there was very little by way of organised winning of our own knockouts. It was a care of look for Gearoid and hope for the best.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on May 29, 2019, 01:03:37 PM

What did you think of the midfield performance against Monaghan Itchy? I thought we were dominated and there was very little by way of organised winning of our own knockouts. It was a care of look for Gearoid and hope for the best.

I thought Ray Galligan was the biggest problem on kickouts to be honest. When mcKiernan came into the middle he got hand to everything when it mattered in the 4th quarter. Will Armagh push up to force us long, I am not so sure they will anyway.

Captain Obvious

Be interesting to see how Cavan handle the hot favourites tag for this game. Armagh need big improvement though as the performance v Down won't get close to causing upset here.

lurganblue

Quote from: Itchy on May 29, 2019, 01:40:03 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 29, 2019, 01:03:37 PM

I thought Ray Galligan was the biggest problem on kickouts to be honest. When mcKiernan came into the middle he got hand to everything when it mattered in the 4th quarter. Will Armagh push up to force us long, I am not so sure they will anyway.

They will for small periods.

Will be interesting to see if McGeeney tries anything to improve upon our handling of high balls into the area.  Charlie Vernon back to Full Back if Grimley is available for MF?

LCohen

We have the forwards to win. Granted Cavan defenders are better than Down. The key is do we have the game plan to exploit our forward power we could be in trouble. Need to move the ball fast. Would like us to push up on their kick out and display some evidence of having worked on our own kickout

armaghniac

Armagh need to move the ball fast, but rarely achieve this against a half competent team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Insane Bolt

Don't know where the Armagh optimism is coming from......watched the game against Down.....pure turgid......same old habits.....no free taker....Cavan will win comfortably I feel.