2010 BDO World Darts.

Started by upmonaghansayswe, January 04, 2010, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upmonaghansayswe

With all the fuss of the much inferior ;D circus that is the PDC Darts over, and with Irelands Martin McCloskey playing in a few hours (8:40 going by the lakesides website. Think its just on the red button) just think its time to bail in behind our own.

sammymaguire

I watched some of this on Saturday, Tony O'Shea looked shi1te compared to ANY of the PDC guys and I lasted 5 mins before I had to trun over to a Friends repeat, "The One with Rachel's Big Kiss" with Winona Ryder! much more interesting
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Minder

Saw a bit yesterday and in fairness the players were brutal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Archie Mitchell

Worst. Seen about 5 minutes last night and it's brutal. Still stuck in the stone age.

screenexile

Somebody told me that one guy finished with an average of 38 for the match or something ridiculous like that!

I know a lot of people say we're being led up the garden path with Sky hyping the shite out of it but the PDC are head and shoulders above the BDO!

bingobus

Its a slow burner the BDO.

Normally get a few great matches near the end, which they close, tense matches if nothing else. The PDC is a one man show, Taylor never lost a set in QTR or semi. Makes for poor viewing even if he is a class thrower. The other side of draw was much better.

Yes I Would

Only worth watching for the punditry magic of Bobby Dazzler..Legend!! and WTF does Murray know about darts??
There was a Scottish guy Hendo who's health id seriously fear for in any greater than a five set match. He was the colour of beetroot!!

upmonaghansayswe

Ach.. go easy on it. For those of us without the sky box and like our darts, its still the highlight of the New Year. Yeah it takes til Thursday for any half exciting stuff to get going but it always throws up a good classic or two. Yes it cant compete with the PDC cause of the money but if i got the choice between a ticket to the Lakeside Final or The Ally Pally it would be Lakeside every time. Just a shame that anyone who shows any promise has to leave it but it is good to see the likes of Whitlock now being able to stay over, play the circut and earn a wage,on a full time basis cause he spent a long time at the Lakeside to get to where he is.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on January 04, 2010, 05:52:30 PM
if i got the choice between a ticket to the Lakeside Final or The Ally Pally it would be Lakeside every time.

The PDC World Championship has certainly lost something since it moved to the Ally Pally from Purfleet. The Circus Tavern was made for darts and the atmosphere was always electric. Was at the last final at the Tavern (the Barney Taylor classic) a few years ago and it was amazing. Only been to the Ally Pally once and I doubt I'll be back.

The PDC needs the BDO to a certain extent. The BDO do more work at the grassroots of darts and bring through more young players. If you look at all the new talent that has freshened up the PDC over the last two years, they've all come from the BDO - Van Gerwen, Van Der Voort, Klaasen, Mervyn King, Gary Anderson, Whitlock, Webster, Robert Thornton.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

wallyman

Did Whitlock compete in the BDO a few years back?

TacadoirArdMhacha

If we'd had this conversation 4 years ago no doubt people would have been just as dismissive of the BDO yet every 2010 PDC semi-finalist bar Taylor was in the BDO 3 or 4 years ago. Ok there seems to be a tendancy for BDO players to improve once they play amongst the higher standard but while the BDO mightn't have the depth of the PDC, there are good players.

Plus there is no entrance in the PDC which sends a shiver down the spine like;

Darkness has descended. The midnight hour cometh. Be on your way. Its the Count - Ted Hankey!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Archie Mitchell

They all have to start somewhere. If any player is serious about darts, and want to make a living out of it, the PDC is the only option. Whitlock, Webster, Klassen, Van Gerwen etc will get better and better now they are in the PDC, as they can live off their sponsors, winnings and concentrate on playing darts.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 04, 2010, 06:45:31 PM
If any player is serious about darts, and want to make a living out of it, the PDC is the only option.

Spot on. Its just i dont think the PDC appreciate the real work done by the BDO. PDC "fans" should quit cutting the branch they are standing on. This Fleet guy is certainy the fill of his jersey!!

Quote from: wallyman on January 04, 2010, 06:19:36 PM
Did Whitlock compete in the BDO a few years back?

Aye. Lost the final to Webster in 08.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Shocking leg of darts in progress here between Adams and Fleet. After 21 darts Fleets is still on 246. Wolfie's not great either 24 after 21 darts.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

SambaSaffron