Armagh V Cavan - Ulster Championship - 15th June 2008

Started by AFS, April 22, 2008, 01:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

corn02

Vernon?

AOR is easily our best CHB. His positional sense is so good that I can not fathom him getting the run around.

armaghniac

If fit, B Mallon has to be a contender for the half forward line.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

corn02

corn02

Team I would like to see if AOR is fit.

McKinney

Enda Bellew Mallon
McKeever AOR Kernan
McGrane Toner
O'Rourke Vernon McKeever
McDonnell Clarke Mallon.

How strong would our bench be?

Hearty, Moriarty, Shannon, Donaghy, O'Neill, Swift, TK, McKeever.

Uladh

Jaysus corn, you're not even giving sk a spot on the bench? harsh, very harsh.

Imposerous

Quote from: corn02 on June 05, 2008, 12:54:18 PM
Vernon?

AOR is easily our best CHB. His positional sense is so good that I can not fathom him getting the run around.

I agree, Corn.  When Benny Coulter gave McKeever, no mean feat, (I think he came off with a hand injury that day?) a torrid time in a league game 2 years ago in Newry, AO'R nullified him in the FB line.  His reading of the game is supreme and makes up for any waeknesses in speed.  A talent Francie also uses to great effect.

I have head from a failrly reliable source that McDonnell intends to start Oisin.  Also heard (rightly of wrongly) that AO'R has asked Paddy Og not print his club name on the match programme and that he is infact not injured.  Can anyone confirm/deny.  AO'R was one of the reasons why I expected Armagh to perform much better this year than expected.  I honestly believe that even during the glory years he would have done a better job at CHB than Geezer.  Sacrilege?  O'R's distribution is better than McGeeney's ever was.  Geezer, while often feted for this gave away a surprising number of passes to the opposition.

Toner would do a good job in the in a lot of positions (probably best down the spine of the team) and I don't think he's as slow as some believe.

It would worry me however, if it is McDonnell's intention to give Moriarty the Seany Johnston brief.  Finn throughout the League simply gave his men too much room - the only commodity Johnston needs to punish you.

High Catch

Quote from: Imposerous on June 05, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Also heard (rightly of wrongly) that AO'R has asked Paddy Og not print his club name on the match programme

Why is this?

Don't believe this for one minute.

Sure they would not be making programmes yet!!

corn02

I meant SK instead of McKeever, have been very impressed by Stephen this year.

Imposerous

Quote from: High Catch on June 05, 2008, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: Imposerous on June 05, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Also heard (rightly of wrongly) that AO'R has asked Paddy Og not print his club name on the match programme

Why is this?

Don't believe this for one minute.

Sure they would not be making programmes yet!!

Just reporting what I heard.  Found it hard to believe too, but source was convinced.

cavanmaniac

All this chat and fretting about lineups and the like, I wouldn't bother if I was an Armagh man. Antrim and Longford are scoring against us for fun, I can only imagine the feasting that Ronie Clarke, Stevie D and wee Oisín are going to have. Gulp. :'(

Tell me this though, what sort of an outfit have the Armagh minors? I'll be going along mostly to support the young lads, they for one are well managed and prepared and have a decent enough shout after coming through a test of character the last day - not something associated with cavan underage sides.

corn02

On the grapevine, Armagh minors are very strong.

armaghniac

I hope Clarke and McDonnell are working well together this year, with Clarke last year we would have had enough to beat at least one of Donegal or Derry and would probably have made the QFs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

just as a matter of interest lads, anyone hear how austy is getting along? first year he´s been in the championship panel so i cant see him making an appearance or anything but any word on how´s doing in training etc?

corn02

I also forgot ORourke junior and McConville for the bench, some squad this year. Possibly the strongest squad since 02?