Armagh V Cavan - Ulster Championship - 15th June 2008

Started by AFS, April 22, 2008, 01:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddybadoo

That's the team I'd like to see start, Benny.  Perhaps Brian Mallon may start if TK isn't fully fit.

After watching Johnston today I'd be worried if Finn Mo started on him as he hardly won a ball in front of his man the whole League and Seanie only needs half a yard to win the ball swivel and shoot (invariably over the bar).

Can't see Cavan getting even close to the space they got today.  They are a pacy enough side and it won't be easy.

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Quote from: bennydorano on May 18, 2008, 07:32:19 PM

MCKinney
A MAllon, Bellew, Donaghy
AK, AOR, CMcKeever
McGrane - Toner
MOR, SK,  Vernon
McDonnell, Clarke, TK?

Will They like champ!

That's not the team that will start - trust me

Time for Cavan to actually produce something thats resembles football and not horse racing

Sandy Hill

QuoteTime for Cavan to actually produce something thats resembles football and not horse racing

........what?              ???

"Stercus accidit"

AFS

Right so its Cavan. They looked alright today but Antrim were fairly poor. Would imagine if Antrim could hit them for 17 that we'd be able to rack up somewhere in the region of 25 to 30, but at the same time i'd expect Cavan to be better the next day so maybe not.

Considering how shaky our midfield has been this year it would be advisably for Cavan to start McCabe there against us, as it would give them a decent platform. I think he'd be wasted at full forward, Francie would be well fit for him.

Mallon able to handle Johnston? It might be a good idea to double mark him just in case. Not a lot else in that Cavan forward line that I'd be worried about.

NOTE: Would someone in charge maybe merge this thread with the 'Armagh v Cavan' thread that was put up lightening fast after today's match.

bennydorano

What's the story with Kieran Toner?  I hear he did his knee in the U21 championship last week.

High Catch

Is Tony McClelland still injured with his knee?

corn02

Yeah, def out against us on Thursday.

Bensars

Although the Cavan forward unit played well yesterday, they will not be afforded anywhere near the space and time on the ball .

What would be more worrying for Cavan IMO would be that fact that the conceded 1-14 against a poor enough side.

Although Armagh generally never give out hidings, i would expect Armagh to win comfortably enough, even though the scoreboard may not tell the same story

Onion Bag

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on May 18, 2008, 09:22:53 PM
That's the team I'd like to see start, Benny.  Perhaps Brian Mallon may start if TK isn't fully fit.

After watching Johnston today I'd be worried if Finn Mo started on him as he hardly won a ball in front of his man the whole League and Seanie only needs half a yard to win the ball swivel and shoot (invariably over the bar).

Can't see Cavan getting even close to the space they got today.  They are a pacy enough side and it won't be easy.

Johnson needs a the wind taken out of his sails early on, H was acting the bollocks wil mc nulty in the league game, you can bet your life on it, he will not be running round looking into the crowd kissing his wrist and punching the air. He will need that hair of his cut so he can see who is behind him
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

SouthArmaghBandit

I saw nothing yesterday to have any concerns about. If Antrim can score 1-14 against Cavan I'd expect Armagh to score twice that. In fact Antrim should have score more.

rionach 4

Two worries here  1 Cavan already have a match under their belt and will know that they were involved in a timid game against Antrim. They also know  that Armagh will hit a lot harder than Antrim . No matter what way you look at it a match in the championship no matter how easy, is a great way of working on strengths and weaknesses, Yes Cavan have both, physically they are strong, much much to physical for Antrim. On the weak side they depend to much on Johnstone ,and McCabe to a lesser extent .
Mulvey and Brady were two very useful subs to bring on, Changed the game in my opinion. Where Antrim missed Cavan scored 
Home advantage will also be a real help no matter what way you look at it. The game will attract 25,000 which will hit it near capacity (30,000)  This will be a big one for Keoghan and he knows it. Cavan beat a Down team a few years ago with three goals in the last ten minutes and yes Down were no world beaters and neither were Cavan . Armagh need to be firing on all cylinders.  If Armagh play the way they did against Meath or Westmeath Then it will be the qualifiers and whatever that holds. Play like we know they can ie Dublin, Roscommom, Monaghan at times ,Cork in the final ten minutes then we are in with a big shout for honours this year. Make no mistake Cavan will be a tricky jump .We need the result, no matter about the style of play or how we go about getting it.

Hank Everlast

MCKinney
AK, AOR, CMcKeever
McGrane - Toner
MOR, SK,  Vernon
McDonnell, Clarke, TK?

I def think that there is a role for paddy mckeever in there somewhere

MCKinney
AK, AOR, CMcKeever
McGrane - Vernon
MOR, mckeever,  SK, 
McDonnell, Clarke, TK?

Onion Bag

Quote from: Hank Everlast on May 19, 2008, 12:08:16 PM

MCKinney
AK, AOR, CMcKeever
McGrane - Toner
MOR, SK,  Vernon
McDonnell, Clarke, TK?

I def think that there is a role for paddy mckeever in there somewhere

MCKinney
AK, AOR, CMcKeever
McGrane - Vernon
MOR, mckeever,  SK, 
McDonnell, Clarke, TK?

I definetly like the look of this team Hank, it is the exact team that i was going to put down, Strong all round, and still plenty of options, the most obvious being toner at either midfield or in Full back or center half back positions, plenty of options for forwards, Mallon, Mc Conville, Clarke, Swift, In defence, we dont have as many options, Would love to still have Duffy as an option but for some reason unknown to me hes not there, We have mc Nulty, Finnian Mo who has yet to impress, always second to the ball and fouls a lot.
So to sum up, i think the Midfield and forward sectors are ok but we are lacking a bit of depth for defence (Just my opinion)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

cavanmaniac

I break out in a cold sweat and come over all shivery at the thought of our full back line trying to cope with Clarke and McDonnell. :-\

It's natural for Armagh folk to be nervous and although McCabe will be fitter and Gunner Brady, Sean Brady, captain McKeever, Mulvey and the hallion Walsh should be in the reckoning for starts on June 15th, I really wouldn't be too worried about this game if I was an Armagh man.

If Cavan perform half as creditably as they did in Crossmaglen back in February and avoid a tanking on home turf, I reckon we'd be happy enough with that. It's the minors that most Cavan fans are following with any real interest....

bennydorano

Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 19, 2008, 02:37:35 PM
It's the minors that most Cavan fans are following with any real interest....
Armagh seem to be very young for a minor team, I know our club has 4 or 5 on the panel and they are all eligible again next year.