Mayo v Galway - Connacht Final 13/07/08 14:00 McHale Park, Castlebar

Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myball22

If that is the Galway team then I would say the plan would be to flood the midfield area with Breathnach and Matthew Clancy and to leave Bane and Michael Meehan inside. I would say Bane would start on the basis that he played well when introduced the last day and he did score 2-1 against Mayo last year. He would worry the Mayo backline, does very little in general play but scores when he gets the ball.

I think a lot would depend on the quality of ball going through to the inside forwards. If Galway struggle at midfield then the ball in may not be great and Bane and Meehan need to be given the ball rather than capable of winning a 50-50 ball. It may be no harm to
introduce Conroy and Armstrong from the bench later on when the game becomes more open.

I would like to see Blake back as he would have the physical presence to take on Harte and stop the runs through the middle, I would be concerned about Sice and Coyne at half-backs and also about the ability of our corner backs if we are under pressure. We'll know if Bradshaw is a corner back or not on Sunday and Damien Burke could be in trouble with Mortimer too.

I would say the game depends on how well Galway compete at midfield and how wins the majority of the breaks in the middle. I would say if Galway can break even 40/60 in midfield then it will be close, otherwise Mayo should have enough.

rosnarun

one option gone and one returns?

from  DANIEL CAREY the mayo news

BARRY Moran has been ruled out of next Sunday's Connacht final after breaking a bone in his hand at Mayo training on Sunday morning. The Castlebar Mitchels attacker sustained the injury in the last five minutes of the weekend session, and will be wearing a cast for the next few weeks. Moran featured only sporadically in the National League and was not expected to start the provincial decider. But he was outstanding at full-forward against Cavan and Derry in last year's championship, and might well have seen action on his home pitch at some stage.
"He has been plagued by injury, really, because he had an ankle [problem] and then he had a tummy bug in the lead-up to the last game," Mayo manager John O'Mahony told The Mayo News last night (Monday). "But we just have to play through it. He's a fine young footballer and hopefully we can stay in the championship long enough to get the benefit of him."
There's better news on Alan Dillon, who featured in a challenge match against Fermanagh last Tuesday, which Mayo won comprehensively. O'Mahony will name his starting 15 for Sunday's game tomorrow (Wednesday) night, and the Ballintubber man is expected to be included in the half-forward line. The former All-Star missed the Connacht semi-final against Sligo having undergone minor surgery to treat a haemotoma in his hip, but has been declared fit to play.
Trevor Howley, who severely damaged his ankle ligaments in a challenge match against Meath in May, looks certain to be on the bench on Sunday. The Knockmore man has 'worked wonders' over the last few weeks in his bid to be fit, according to O'Mahony. "He has done a bit of running and played a bit of ball, so whether it has come too soon for him or not I don't know," said the manage
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: myball22 on July 10, 2008, 05:40:21 PM
I would like to see Blake back as he would have the physical presence to take on Harte and stop the runs through the middle, I would be concerned about Sice and Coyne at half-backs and also about the ability of our corner backs if we are under pressure. We'll know if Bradshaw is a corner back or not on Sunday and Damien Burke could be in trouble with Mortimer too.

Well I don't think Damien Burke has been in particularly great form recently but he usually ties up Conor Mortimer pretty effectively. Then again if you are not winning ball in midfield no full-back line will be able to keep out their markers indefinitely.

Farrandeelin

QuoteA lot of people are mentioning the aggression Galway are expected to play with. I dont get it.
Are we making out that Mayo are soft and need to be prepared for this Galway aggression?
Is it not Mayo that should bring the pain? If anything its Mayo that should be the aggressors.

We should indeed bring this aggression, but Galway have been very good at bringing the aggression to the last few games between the 2 counties and not bringing the same aggression to other counties they play against.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Galforever

Mayo people, ye talk some amount of bullshit! Does it ever stop coming from ye?

The Galway team have not been aggressive or physical since the early 90's.

If only players like K. Fitz, M. Comer, F. Hanley, G. Sice, N.Coyne, D. Burke, D. Meehan N. Joyce, F. Brathnanch, S. Armstrong, M. Clancy were actually more physical in the last few years then we might have won something.

Under Forde, We played negatively bringing the half-forward line way down the field but physical? No way, We simply dont have enough physical players. Of this current team, Only Cullinane, Coleman & Blake can be regarded as physical.

rosnarun

Quote from: Galforever on July 10, 2008, 08:21:05 PM
Mayo people, ye talk some amount of bullshit! Does it ever stop coming from ye?

The Galway team have not been aggressive or physical since the early 90's.

If only players like K. Fitz, M. Comer, F. Hanley, G. Sice, N.Coyne, D. Burke, D. Meehan N. Joyce, F. Brathnanch, S. Armstrong, M. Clancy were actually more physical in the last few years then we might have won something.

Under Forde, We played negatively bringing the half-forward line way down the field but physical? No way, We simply dont have enough physical players. Of this current team, Only Cullinane, Coleman & Blake can be regarded as physical.
no one said that galway were a physical team merley that they upped the physical side of their game under the impression that this would beat mayo sure in the fact that it was not in mayos game to any degree . It has be stated sweveral times by Mayo posters that they did not continue this Tactic against other teams . esp tjhose that might hit back. and the word cowardice was never mentioed so i dont know why your making such a big deal about that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

belleaqua

In fairness Rosnarun there has been some bullshit spouted by a minority that Galway pushed the rulebook to the limit and that it was only through these physical methods that they could beat Mayo. For Galway supporters thats a red rag to a bull considering Galway would be traditionally considered one of the best attacking teams in the country and from a purists point of view the most attractive. Galway are well capable of beating Mayo through skillful means alone.

As for the argument that Galway dont seem as 'up for it' against other teams is this not to be expected? They are playing their local rivals. Of course Sligo or Westmeath dont provide the same motivational factor for Galway teams. I think Mayo should be looking at this as an internal problem rather than wondering why Galway are somewhat more physical against them. Why aren't Mayo more physical against Galway??

GalwayBayBoy

Seems like I heard right after all.

Galway Team to play Mayo

1 Paul Doherty   Tuam Stars 
2 Gareth Bradshaw   Maigh Cuilinn 
3 Finian Hanley   Salthill Knocknacarra 
4 Damien Burke   Corofin 
5 Niall Coyne   Carna Caiseal 
6 Diarmuid Blake   Milltown 
7 Gary Sice   Corofin 
8 Barry Cullinane   Claregalway 
9 Niall Coleman   Annaghdown 
10 Cormac Bane   Caherlistrane 
11 Padraig Joyce   Killererin Capt
12 Nicky Joyce   Killererin 
13 Matthew Clancy   Oughterard 
14 Michael Meehan   Caltra 
15 Fiachra Breathnach   Leitir Mor

Galforever

I can understand why they have left Burke in. But dont see what Gary Sice has done to deserve being in ahead of Meehan or Mullahy.

Lydon had to be dropped after two very disappointing performances (he'll probably go the way of Val Feeney now) so we only really had Coleman & Cullinane in contention for midfield.

I cant see Bane starting at 10, He will probably swap with Breathnach.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Galforever on July 10, 2008, 10:03:10 PM
I can understand why they have left Burke in. But dont see what Gary Sice has done to deserve being in ahead of Meehan or Mullahy.

Is Deccie not carrying a hamstring injury?

Duine Eile

Dec Meehan is injured alright. Fiachra Breathnach still managing to hold his place at no 15, how is anybody's guess. Gary Sice was brutal against Leitrim but Darren wasn't much better so Sice is probably only just keeping him off the team. Great to see Blake back, big game for his first game this year though.

MaroonAndWhite

Blake is a big man for the big game and I think theres a much more solid look to spine of the defence. I presume Fitz only barely lost out on a place due to lack of match fitness - he would have been a certainty for one of the two corner back spots if fit you would have imagined. Sice or Mullahy was a toss-up really....probably went for Sice for that extra bit of physicality. Backline is as good as is available with Deccie's hamstring playing up.

Midfield is no surprise...the oinly two we have really. After seeing McGarrity's attempts at chin ups on Championship Throw-In id stick big bad Barry on him  ;)

The "Fiachra Breathnach Project" as someone called it previously continues.......that lad must be doing multiple decades of the Rosary or something  ::) Otherwise, as expected

GaillimhIarthair

Breathnach  ??? Seriously cant fathom how he is considered to be in the top 6 forwards in Galway  ???  Bradshaw hasn't done a lot wrong to date but he will get his fill of it Sunday and I still wouldnt consider him a corner back. Plenty of options on the bench though.  Delighted to see Blake back in the 6 jersey and I fully expect him to hit the ground running on Sunday.  

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 10, 2008, 11:14:23 PM
Breathnach  ??? Seriously cant fathom how he is considered to be in the top 6 forwards in Galway

He isn't. I'd say he's not even in the top dozen let alone half dozen. I know he's a ex Mary's lad but this is getting ridiculous.

Having said all that I'd love it if he went out and had a stormer on Sunday but I don't see that happening. Even if he did poach a goal against Mayo in the league.

mannix

Chinups?
"Big barry" may not be a whole lot better at them.
Should be some crack watching galway, a handful of diehard fans and the rest will be Mayo.