Frankie Dolan!!!

Started by An Gaeilgoir, November 26, 2006, 02:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Of course your man shouldn't be on the field but that doesn't mean that someone has the right to box the head of him. Is it open season on all mentors that enter the field of play then? There are far too many mentors encroaching into playing fields in the GAA but it's unfortunately it's common in our games. However even if a mentor comes on and is running his mouth it doesn't give players carte blanche to punch them. Both the Corofin selector and Frankie Dolan should be punished.

Mayo4Sam

In dolans eyes he wasn't a mentor, with no indication. dolan was threatened enough to react like this.
Any yes if a person is on the pitch without authority a player has the right to give the eijit a box when he's confronting him.
Either way this lad being on the pitch was giving corofin an unfair advantage by upsetting dolan.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

belleaqua

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 28, 2006, 03:59:45 PM
In dolans eyes he wasn't a mentor, with no indication. dolan was threatened enough to react like this.
Any yes if a person is on the pitch without authority a player has the right to give the eijit a box when he's confronting him.
Either way this lad being on the pitch wadvantage by upsetting dolan.as giving corofin an unfair

Wrong. A player doesnt have the right to strike anyone that comes onto the pitch.

Just wondering does Hyde Park still have a fence around it. Both of us know full well that Frankie had a fair idea who he was striking.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 28, 2006, 03:59:45 PM

Sure that's grand so if you're just advocating violence that's fine. You just had to come out and say it.

Unreal.

QuoteEither way this lad being on the pitch was giving corofin an unfair advantage by upsetting dolan.

I don't even know where to start with that one.

Mayo4Sam

The fella was confronting dolan and dolan reacted.
I dont think it should be a red card because the fella had no right to be on the pitch.
If dolan had been sent off there would have been an outside interferance in favour of corofin.
Dolan prob did know who he was hitting but can claimn he didn't cause the fella had no bib and shouldn't have been on the pitch

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteThe fella was confronting dolan and dolan reacted.

Yes by punching him in the head which is a red card offence in anyone's book.

QuoteI dont think it should be a red card because the fella had no right to be on the pitch.

He shouldn't have been on the pitch but that doesn't excuse someone striking him.

Punching someone is a red card offence. End of story. If I'm playing next weekend and I land one on one of the selectors of the other team I'd fully expect to get the line even if the guy came on and was mouthing off to me. I might feel sore about it but I couldn't have any complaints.

The Corofin selector doesn't come out of this with any credit at all but we'd have anarchy if we allowed players to take the law into their own hands in this manner.

full back

I think if Frankie is hauled over the coals about this, it is going to be quite dangerous.
It will mean the star player on a team can be intimidated and even hit by an opposing supporter or mentor and if they react they get the line, whereas the team who committed the crime originally suffer no major loss

belleaqua

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 28, 2006, 04:06:37 PM
I dont think it should be a red card because the fella had no right to be on the pitch.
If dolan had been sent off there would have been an outside interferance in favour of corofin.

I understand your reasoning, but its still totally unacceptable! You cannot strike a fellow player/referee/mentor/supporter etc. it is straight away a red card offence. Cannot be justified for any reason.

Secondly, all GAA players have to put up with that shite of outside interference. Its up to Dolan to handle himself properly in this situation he should walk away. I agree that any player would love to hit out but ya cant do that. In lots of games played in club or county this craic goes on. Kerry v Armagh for example this year(Galvin got sent off).

Mayo4Sam

Different that fella was entitled to be on the pitch.

My whole point is dolan was threatened by someone from outside the people involved in the game and he reacted accordingly.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 28, 2006, 04:27:28 PM
Different that fella was entitled to be on the pitch.

My whole point is dolan was threatened by someone from outside the people involved in the game and he reacted accordingly.

You just can't punch someone in the head no matter who they are. If you did that outside the chippy on Saturday night you could find yourself up in court on Monday morning.

Trying to find excuses for puching someone just isn't on. If someone came over and started throwing punches at you then maybe you could justify a case of self-defence. However Dolan clearly threw the first punch and last time I checked that isn't considered an appropriate reaction to receiving verbals from a member of the opposition camp even if they shouldn't be on the field of play.

belleaqua

"The Connacht Council will meet tomorrow night when they expect to review the referee's report, but even if he does not mention the incident, they could still initiate an investigation if they feel the match video warrants it.

Any interaction by a player with an opposing mentor, no matter what the circumstances, is heavily punishable under GAA rules"

I think this should clear it up for anyone who doesnt understand the rules in relation to such incidents.

rosnarun

watch it again. the guy attempts to strike . its not frankies fault that from years of scrapping on and off the pitch hes developed a good dodge and pucnch move.though will the corofin man have john maughans class to say he slipped when gerry flanaghan smaked him one in castle bar . and kept flanaghan out of trouble cause maughan knew he was in the wrong, then again maughan is a gentle man and  a legend
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

I reckon both of them will get a suspension.

Maybe a one month ban. Good PR and the p***k will be available for the semi-final

belleaqua

Quote from: rosnarun on November 28, 2006, 04:38:55 PM
watch it again. the guy attempts to strike.

Its a pretty pathetic attempt if you would  even call it that!!

I fully agree that the mentor should never be on the field, and I know how annoying it is myself from playing. Id be well tempted to give a mouthing p***k from the oppositions sideline a good dig but I know Id be heading for an early shower(if i got caught!!). My point is that he should have held his cool, he didnt and should now be suspended as the rules outline.

Rossie11

Never thought I would see the day when a Mayo man would be defending Dolan..

Having been at the game I was sure that 2 bridgets players were getting the road.
David O'Connor was already on a yellow when he mowed into a defender.
He apologised straight away but I am sure he thought he was gone as it was clumpsy and the ref had been card happy.
Goalie and few defenders got involved as did Dolan running from centre field.
Mentor was on at this stage and got the slap. On another day Dolan and O Connor could have walked.

Funniest of the lot was the mentor on the sideline afterwards trying to save face by showing people he had no grips on his runners hence he fell over easily...   :D