Liam McHale
Kenneth Mortimer
Ciaran McDonald
Kevin McStay
James Nallen
Dermot Flannagan
Padraig Brogan

ildanach

il would have to say mc donald is the most talented player but J Nallon would have to be the most consistant. WJP was an unbelivable fielder (as my avatar shows) but he like mcd drifted in and out of games. One of my favortie players for pure work rate was Colm McMenamon,sure his distribution was sometimes brutal but he covered some ground.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Marooned

Jimmy Nallen would be my choice also. The heart of a lion. Don't think anyone else could come close to his level of service and committment to the cause, even when things were going really badly (bar his AI final perf).

McD for pure magic.

They certainly have made the home club very proud on many occasions

TORGAEL

Kieran McDonald is the most talented Mayo player i've ever seen. McStay a close second

Galway15

As a Galway fan who came across the old firm id have McDonald as the most talented by a street...Id have Nallen and Ken Mort up there too

stephenite

The other playesr mentioned ( TJ, Jimmy Burke, James Horan, & Colm Mc ) were all considered, along with Noel Durkan, Kevin Cahill and a few others. However there had to be some limit to the numbers.
From my own point of view, I would go for consistency of performance over the years, the ability to make the difference in games. Whilst McDonald and the Bomber had it all in pure talent, they come up short on consistency. Interesting all the same, had a feeling mac would win by a country mile.
Will leave the poll open for another 24 hours to ensure that everyone gets a chance to vote

Lar Naparka

I don't want to be a nit picker but I I could come up with different choices depending on how I'd define best.
The most talented  would have to be Ciaran McDonald - I'd have no hesitation there.
The most effective would be a toss between Kenneth Mortimer and James Horan. By that I mean the one who did the job he was selected to do in the most efficient and consistent manner; Mortimer make life hell for every corner forward that faced him, while Horan availed of the slightest half-chance to slot over some sublime scores.

But, if I had to pick the one I enjoyed watching the most and the one who by example inspired his team mates the most I'd have to opt for Willie Joe Padden.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MacDanger

Missing a few in the backs too, John Finn, Peter Butler, Peter Forde.........Pat Holmes just for his performance in 96 although i guess 97 took some of the gloss off that one

stephenite

Quote from: MacDanger on November 22, 2006, 10:24:47 PM
Missing a few in the backs too, John Finn, Peter Butler, Peter Forde.........Pat Holmes just for his performance in 96 although i guess 97 took some of the gloss off that one

Whilst, they were all great servants and great footballers, I wouldn't rate any of them near Ken Mortimer, Jimmy Nallen or Dermot Flannagan on terms of overall contributions with the exception maybe of Peter Bourke.
Like, I said, numbers are limited. Especially over such a long period of time.

Pietas

Im a scratching my head trying to figure out how McStay made it on to list ???
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

rosnarun

Pie eater .  read the title of the list again naturally talented , Mact stay was one of those guys that you knew from the kickaround before the game he had class. supreme ball skills speed and even a good pair of hands . h may have had failings but Skill was not one of them. BTW are you of an age to have seen him play?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Sorry tis I that cant read . I was thinking of the other thread  :'(

muscles magoo

Quote from: Pietas on November 23, 2006, 10:58:16 AM
Im a scratching my head trying to figure out how McStay made it on to list ???

Nothing to do with the fact that he is a Ballina man and this thread was started by Stephenite....??? Nah....

For what it's worth, Liam McHale got my vote.

rosnarun

yeah suprized to see John healy and devenny not make the cut

Mayo4Sam

I would have voted for healy....... ::)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Jaysus the bithcin has started early this year
Kevin McStay was a class act in my view and unfortunate with injuries ( borken leg ), an All Star in 1985. Didn't expect a consensus regarding all the selections, but McStay was a consistently better player for Mayo than Padraic Brogan, may not have had the natural skills of Brogan but more valuable contributions over the years ( albeit due to the unfortunate circumstances that Padriac found himself in ) however no one has commented on his selection.

The only ones really hard done by in not making that list was James Horan, Peter Forde and possibly Maughan