Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muscles magoo

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 21, 2006, 01:53:45 PM
Anyway no offence to the players but to 'trim the fat' I think JOM will have little time for....
John Healy, Pat Kelly, Trevor Howley, James Gill, Stephen Carolan, C Lyons

Bit harsh on Colum Lyons. Of that bunch he is the only one who hasn't seen any league or championship action as yet for Mayo and has been in super form for Breaffy over the past couple of seasons. He is well worth a look in the FBD/National League.

Pietas

Here come I to my own again,
Fed, forgiven and known again,
Claimed by bone of my bone again
And cheered by flesh of my flesh.
The fatted calf is dressed for me,
But Isotonic Lucozade sport has greater zest for me,
I think Mayo will be best for me,
So I'm off to the partk afresh.
So back I go to my job again,
Not so easy to blindside Tyrone again,
Or quite so ready to sob again
On any redneck that's around.
I worked with the Heron Chokers from the Connemara Bogs
Where I spent my nights and my days with hogs.
And shared their milk and maize with hogs,
Till, I guess, I have learned what pays with hogs
And - I have that knowledge to sell!
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

AbbeySider

Quote from: muscles magoo on November 21, 2006, 02:50:52 PM
Bit harsh on Colum Lyons. Of that bunch he is the only one who hasn't seen any league or championship action as yet for Mayo and has been in super form for Breaffy over the past couple of seasons. He is well worth a look in the FBD/National League.

You have to ask yourself why he hasnt seen any games this year... Maybe he got a raw deal, I dont know.

Maybe he deserves a chance but my main argument is that it is pointless having the above players on a panel when you dont consider them on the big day.
When Moran looked to the bench this year he didnt have that many options. Some people were surprised to see Andy Moran come in at centre-back. We should have some better cover than we have at the minute instead of putting a natural forward in the backs.
(Yes I know he played there for Ballagh too! & im not taking away from A Moran who is a great forward and deserves to be part of the setup)

I dont think the players I mentioned have a place on the panel, and I dont think JOM will have much time for them either.  :-\

GalwayBayBoy

Will make Galway v Mayo interesting in Pearse next year anyway.

With JOM on board Mayo should be looking to win Sam next year as the likes of McDonald, Heaney and Nallen probably don't have long left in them and replacing players like that is very difficult. Can't see Mayo doing it without those three even with O'Mahony in charge.

Barney

QuoteI dont think the players I mentioned have a place on the panel, and I dont think JOM will have much time for them either.

Abbeysider while there is some validity to your questions over some of the players named (I definitely think you are being unfair on Colm Lyons (give the lad a run out at least before making a decision), and Trevor Howley) there is only reason to drop them if you have somebody better lined up. So who would you have brought in as replacements?

rosnarun

did some one miss the 1st 15 minute of the AIF. not too much samba there. this is the kinda of wrong headed thinking that keeps us churning through managers. lwts face which news would you have perferred to hear that JOM was coming or mikeen  donnellan. Padraic joyce ja fallon tomas mannion and ray silke  were back to their best and going to play for mayo.

PS xmas hamper for 1st one to spot the odd  one out ::)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

dodo

This talk of winning an All Ireland is crazy. Two months ago we got beat out the gate and now people are saying that maybe not the 2007 AI but 2008 will be the year.
Next thing we'll be shouting for O'Mahoney's head. Bit of perspective required.

We have the right management team in charge. They'll do their best no doubt. If Feeney can keep his gob shut and everybody work together to provide the backup necessary to O'Mahoney and co we'll be half way to maximising our potential.

Great to hear people wanting to know when the FBD starts and on about going to as many league games as possible to see the team evolve and develop.

Barney

I don't think anyone has actually said that we will win the All Ireland. I would be disappointed if we were not competitive though - we were walloped in two AI Finals, but we have been the second best team in the championship 2/3 years. League semi finalists the last 2 years. So when it comes down to it we have to be seen as one of the best 4/5 teams in the country.

rosnarun

the time for perspectiveand excuses  is gone and passed . with the 'mutual desicion of moran and the CB ' to part it is now all about winning the all-ireland. we have reached 2 out of the last 3 final and anything but a victory is now a step backwards. there comes a time when hype favoritism pluckyness ect have to be put to bed and the players accept that mayo are a top team of whom big things are expected esp now the 'messiah' along with his hand chosen apostles have arrived.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on November 21, 2006, 03:45:51 PM
Abbeysider while there is some validity to your questions over some of the players named (I definitely think you are being unfair on Colm Lyons (give the lad a run out at least before making a decision), and Trevor Howley) there is only reason to drop them if you have somebody better lined up. So who would you have brought in as replacements?

Everybody deserves a chance, and a fair chance Barney. And by all means Howley and Lyons deserve a chance before anyone.

Who would I bring in and give a chance to?

For Starters as regards backs from Ballaghadreen;
Stephen Drake, David Kilcullen and Tomás Regan deserve a shot

From Ballina I would be looking at:
Ger Cafferkey
Enda Devaney

from Mitchles maybe:
Tom Cunniffe

Others in other positions (the list could be endless but two spring to mind that could cut the mustard)
Barry Kelly - Ballaghaderreen
Brian Benson - Crossmolina

There is talent in the county and im sure that at least some of the players I mentioned will get a chance instead of what we currently have on the panel.

ildanach

We can not go with the theory that the 2006 panel is the best we have, definately some of the ballaghadreen lads deserve a go and i would also like to see benson from cross. All that is needed is level headed approach by the fans. JOM is not a miracle worker but he is a good manager who will get the best out of what we have but it will take time
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

OkeyDoke

I agree that a few additions to the current panel are vital but i don't think there's an awful lot better out there.
A lot of people keep mentioning the Ballaghderreen lads, fair enough give them a go but a lot of them have been there already eg James Kilcullen was on the panel 2 years ago and got dropped. Stephen drake was in and out of it this year, Barry regan was in it this year and wasn't good enough to start.
I'm not having a go at the lads, but just because they show up well in a club match, it does'nt mean that they'll exceed at county level.
The place they need to play well is this years FBD and league and i'm sure JOM will give anyone whos worth their salt a decent chance at making the cut but i'd be pretty sure that we'll still have about 25 of last years 30 come championship.

Fuzzman

I think Mayo will be there or thereabouts next year again.

When you compare there scenario to Tyrone and Armagh before they made the breakthrough. Both were knocking on the door a few years before they broke it down. When they changed managers they then won it in their first year in charge as did Kerry in 2004.

When ye are getting to the latter stages regularly then your squad must have the talent, its just a matter of getting their minds focussed and everything coming together in the big games.

Tyrone struggled in a few games in 2003 but when they lifted their performance in the replays they were awesome. I think JOM will bring yis on to another level and hopefully Tyrone get a chance for revenge for 2004.

Farrandeelin

I just want to pick up on rosnarun's point. Should we now expect Sam to be doing the rounds in Mayo this time next year, or should we give the new manager time to get the house in order. Everyone wanted O'Mahony for a few years now, and now he's got the job will we all want Sam straight-away? I'm of the opinion that we will have our work cut out to get back to AIfs again after the hiding we got. I hope I'm wrong though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Gaeilgoir

In fairness not too many on here have said that Mayo will win the AI next year, what is significant is that JOM is on board for three years and that may be what it takes to turn this team in to a team to win an AI, i dont know. Take Tyrone, they bulit on the success of the 2001 u-21 AI winning team and brought it foward to the senior set-up, also the players involved were been conditioned from under-16, some of them at least. I also agree with okey dokey that some good club players cant make it in the senior setup.... Every player mentioned on this thread has been given a chance one way or another in the senior setup. The reasons for these good club players not making it can be wide and varied and sometimes skill alone is not enough.  The first 22 players on the senior panel are as good as we have in the county i think and the other 8 positions are there but only for good club players who really shine between now and next april. No matter what manager takes over whatever county the first 20 players rarely change and in Mayo it will be no different.